Case damage...is this too bad to reuse?

So I finally split the case on the CRF250R and I see some bad scoring around the area where the camshaft rotates.  The connecting rod bearing blew apart and locked the motor.  Do you think this damage is too bad?  Do I need a new case?  The scores in the case are bad but there's plenty of aluminum left since it's a thick part of the case.  Also a small piece broke off.  What are your thoughts?  Here are some pics.

The first pic shows one side with the scoring.  The second pic shows the scoring circled in yellow.  The red circle shows where a piece cracked off.  Thoughts?

IMG_7592.JPG

IMG_7593.JPG

Edited by BJV

If you can clean it up with a die grinder and the case halves still seal, you will be fine. Worse is a competent welder has to build it up and 'kiss the case surface to make it flat. Too much taken off and the cases will not go back together. Worth a shot to try and fix though, given the cost of new cases.

1 hour ago, BJV said:

So I finally split the case on the CRF250R and I see some bad scoring around the area where the camshaft rotates.  The connecting rod bearing blew apart and locked the motor.  Do you think this damage is too bad?  Do I need a new case?  The scores in the case are bad but there's plenty of aluminum left since it's a thick part of the case.  Also a small piece broke off.  What are your thoughts?  Here are some pics.

The first pic shows one side with the scoring.  The second pic shows the scoring circled in yellow.  The red circle shows where a piece cracked off.  Thoughts?

IMG_7592.JPG

IMG_7593.JPG

I would use a sanding drum on a die grinder in there on the radius, and then I would use a file to knock down the tops of the stuff on the sealing surface.  The put layout die on it and lap it flat.

If you do all that carefully I believe that you will be fine.

The deep gouge is a slight structural concern. The rest is nothing if cleaned properly as described.

Agreed, looks like you can clean it up. If it ends up that you have to go with new cases it’s not a huge expense. I’ve sold 3 CRF250R case sets over the last few months for around $125 shipped

Rob

30 minutes ago, rdlsz24 said:

Agreed, looks like you can clean it up. If it ends up that you have to go with new cases it’s not a huge expense. I’ve sold 3 CRF250R case sets over the last few months for around $125 shipped

Rob

He is in Belize

3 minutes ago, EnglertRacing said:

He is in Belize

LOL... I was thinking the same thing.  But I know better than to think $125 shipped all the way here.  TSA loves me.  Every time I come back from visiting the fam..."Umm sir, what is this in your carry-on?"...

• Like 1

Unless I'm  viewing the picture wrong, it appears as though the material (arrows) has been mushroomed up and is on a gasket sealing area. My opinion, new case.

IMG_7593.JPG.39d507647b95df55a73f0b15a5cb53fd.JPG

On 11/11/2017 at 1:07 PM, rdlsz24 said:

Rob

Rob,

What are these cases coming off of?  Bikes with blown cranks?  What's the quality of the cases?  I ask because upon closer inspection I'm seeing what I believe to be small hairline fractures all over the cases, both sides.  You have any cases for a 2010 CRF250R?  If so, what's the quality?

They were off motors that I bought that had blown top ends. I don’t have any currently, and the ones I had were all for 04-09 models. I didn’t realize yours was a 2010

Rob

A put an ad on the site but thought I'd ask here; anyone have any 2010 CRF250R cases? Mine are too bad I'm thinking.