Disconnecting speedo 2017 WR

Thinking of getting a set of 17” wheels for my 2017 WR450F. Looking at possibly Talon hubs and Excel rims,Alpina’s or Haans,no matter what I get I’m sure I’ll not be able to use the stock speedo drive,so I’ll use a GPS unit instead.

Iv had a look at my bike and it appears to have a machanical drive on the front wheel which then turns into an electrical system by the time it reaches the speedo. I’m guessing Yamaha ditched the old gear driven cables and opted for this mix of the two!

what I want to know is if I disconnect the speedo drive by unplugging it from the speedo unit itself will this cause any ECU problems for example if the bike is moving with the speedo disconnected would this confuse it and put it into some sort of limp mode as the bike is receiving no speed reading?

or are the bikes systems not this advanced for it to cause any problems,just want to check just in case I’m about to fook something up?

also anyone who knows if there are any wheels available in the UK which will bolt straight on to this bike without the need of getting spacers machined.

As for rim size I’m going to put a 3.5” on the front and as for the rear I’m thinking a 5.0” or possibly a 4.5” if that is to big.

ill run a 320mm disk upfront with the stock brakes but fit braided lines to help firm things up and give some feel.

i won’t be doing any suspension work as I want to be able to still get dirty from time to time.

Edited by Qball1982

You could just have the SM rims laced onto another set of stock hubs and keep the OE speedo working

I can understand aftermarket hubs for MX use as the stock cast hubs can crack with real hard use, but for use on the road OE hubs are fine. Have them powder coated for some extra bling if that's important to you

The front disc mounting bolt layout /fitment is the same as the Suzuki DRZ 400 so you can get a 320mm rotor to fit the stock front hub without issue

Edited by GuyGraham
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GuyGraham said:

You could just have the SM rims laced onto another set of stock hubs and keep the OE speedo working

I can understand aftermarket hubs for MX use as the stock cast hubs can crack with real hard use, but for use on the road OE hubs are fine. Have them powder coated for some extra bling if that's important to you

The front disc mounting bolt layout /fitment is the same as the Suzuki DRZ 400 so you can get a 320mm rotor to fit the stock front hub without issue

If I use the stock speedo drive with a 17” wheel the ratio will be wrong and the speedo will read untrue.

im possibly going to do some racing/hill climbs with it again so will use better hubs than the stock items,to be fair the stock hubs don’t seem to shoddy.

I have a couple of cast iron rotors from when I used to race Supermoto so I’ll try and use them if possible.

just need to figure out the biggest tire that I can use on the back,thinking a 150 or maybe a 160 but might need to dish the wheel to avoid it hitting the chain.

You can adjust the OEM speedo unit to compensate for the smaller wheel

There are hidden functions within the speedo unit which are activated by disconnection of a 'jumper' wire in the back of the speedo (its a short grey wire underneath the rubber boot where the wires enter)

PM me you email address and I will send it to you as the Thimpertalk site won't allow PDF's to be attached

Its activated as std for Aussie bikes I believe

A bit of hill climibing isn't going to stress the OE hubs anywhere near what they can withstand given that the same hubs were used on YZ/YFZ & WR bikes for many years

Edited by GuyGraham
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, GuyGraham said:

You can adjust the OEM speedo unit to compensate for the smaller wheel

There are hidden functions within the speedo unit which are activated by disconnection of a 'jumper' wire in the back of the speedo (its a short grey wire underneath the rubber boot where the wires enter)

PM me you email address and I will send it to you as the Thimpertalk site won't allow PDF's to be attached

Its activated as std for Aussie bikes I believe

A bit of hill climibing isn't going to stress the OE hubs anywhere near what they can withstand given that the same hubs were used on YZ/YFZ & WR bikes for many years

PM sent,sounds good to me will keep it looking nice and stock around the bars. 

I have come across this before where there were hidden features locked away in a bikes clocks but available on none uk bikes,can’t for the life of me remember which bike it was on though!!!

thanks again

PM

4 hours ago, Qball1982 said:

PM sent,sounds good to me will keep it looking nice and stock around the bars. 

I have come across this before where there were hidden features locked away in a bikes clocks but available on none uk bikes,can’t for the life of me remember which bike it was on though!!!

thanks again

Email sent

1 hour ago, GuyGraham said:

PM

Email sent

Just had a quick look at my clocks and they are 100% locked out from this feature. I’ll pull the rubber boot off the rear at some point and have a look to see where this wire is that is mentioned! Would definitely rather be able to adjust the wheel size this way than have to disconnect the speedo and cobble on some third party unit! 

Thanks again

• Like 1

I gave my YZ inspired hub together with the stock WR hub to a Machinist. He quickly spun the YZ hub to the same as the WR for the stock speedo drive. Was easier for him to just get the hub, unless you can find a Machinist with a lathe bed that will take a fully laced wheel...

Thinking of getting a set of 17” wheels for my 2017 WR450F. Looking at possibly Talon hubs and Excel rims,Alpina’s or Haans,no matter what I get I’m sure I’ll not be able to use the stock speedo drive,so I’ll use a GPS unit instead.
Iv had a look at my bike and it appears to have a machanical drive on the front wheel which then turns into an electrical system by the time it reaches the speedo. I’m guessing Yamaha ditched the old gear driven cables and opted for this mix of the two!
what I want to know is if I disconnect the speedo drive by unplugging it from the speedo unit itself will this cause any ECU problems for example if the bike is moving with the speedo disconnected would this confuse it and put it into some sort of limp mode as the bike is receiving no speed reading?
or are the bikes systems not this advanced for it to cause any problems,just want to check just in case I’m about to fook something up?
also anyone who knows if there are any wheels available in the UK which will bolt straight on to this bike without the need of getting spacers machined.
As for rim size I’m going to put a 3.5” on the front and as for the rear I’m thinking a 5.0” or possibly a 4.5” if that is to big.
ill run a 320mm disk upfront with the stock brakes but fit braided lines to help firm things up and give some feel.
i won’t be doing any suspension work as I want to be able to still get dirty from time to time.
hi 5 inches too wide. with the smallest 160 will push the chain at least 1/2 inch aside. The speed gauge can be removed without getting the wrong codes. However, you must replace it with a distance of approximately 11 mm. I drive with 4.5 rim 150 tire.
  • Like 1

Here are a few pictures I took tonight for others to remove this grey wire,I just used a very small electrical screw driver to remove the wire along with the connectors.

this grey wire is located behind the rubber boot on the rear of your clocks,it is looped back on its self when is is connected to the plug.

i can now access the menu to adjust the wheel size.

B7618447-40FB-4E62-B9FF-C36CA1260868.jpeg

EF98157B-3A38-433B-B0FC-626E2D43FD76.jpeg

F35AB155-1D35-4E8C-A56E-27948FB1823C.jpeg

• Like 2