Top end - which piston?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Either oem or wossner. I just rebuilt mine with a wossner piston kit I did alot of research before doing mine. A very reputable local Moto machine shop told me to go wossner. They are very popular in Germany and are just making there way into the us. They make beautiful forged pistons and I am trouble free this far. Whatever you choose just don't go wiseco there are too many horror stories

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Went with OEM, thanks guys.

Pulled it down today - a few notable findings. Piston looked identical to the new one, down to the casting marks. Carbon build-up on the top of the piston, but no scuffs on the skirts or underside. 

Piston wrist pin had a few wear marks where it seats against the piston, but no grooves. 

Cylinder still has all cross hatching, a slight scuff on the exhaust side that is slightly visible to the eye, but cannot feel it with fingernail. 

Overall, very happy with how the top end wore though 85 hours.

VALVE QUESTION: specs are (.17 - .22 exhaust) and (.10 - .15 intake). Measure at .18 and .11. I have never checked clearances until this point and have never experienced hard starting. Should I shim into range or continue to run and re-check in another 20 hours?

Thanks!

On 1/9/2018 at 0:40 PM, Chaser503 said:

Went with OEM, thanks guys.

Pulled it down today - a few notable findings. Piston looked identical to the new one, down to the casting marks. Carbon build-up on the top of the piston, but no scuffs on the skirts or underside. 

Piston wrist pin had a few wear marks where it seats against the piston, but no grooves. 

Cylinder still has all cross hatching, a slight scuff on the exhaust side that is slightly visible to the eye, but cannot feel it with fingernail. 

Overall, very happy with how the top end wore though 85 hours.

VALVE QUESTION: specs are (.17 - .22 exhaust) and (.10 - .15 intake). Measure at .18 and .11. I have never checked clearances until this point and have never experienced hard starting. Should I shim into range or continue to run and re-check in another 20 hours?

Thanks!

i wouldnt touch them valves.  What kind of oil you run. Nice to see someone getting 85hrs on a top end

• Like 1

Not to cause a firestorm - but I ran Rotella Synthetic oil and Tusk oil filters, changed every 5-7 hours, without fail. I also rotated 3 OEM air filters and NoToil oil and grease, changed when they got dirty. 2 races, but mostly vet MX practice and trail riding. I'm slow, lol. 

Ran into a slight issue with the base and head gaskets not sealing - I didn't sand down the surfaces so I probably missed a tiny spec of old gasket material. Have 3-4 drops of coolant working their way out. Sucks to have to tear it down again, but I'm getting to be a pro at it! 

Can I re-use the gasket if I've only ran it for 1 heat cycle???

16 hours ago, Chaser503 said:

Not to cause a firestorm - but I ran Rotella Synthetic oil and Tusk oil filters, changed every 5-7 hours, without fail. I also rotated 3 OEM air filters and NoToil oil and grease, changed when they got dirty. 2 races, but mostly vet MX practice and trail riding. I'm slow, lol. 

Ran into a slight issue with the base and head gaskets not sealing - I didn't sand down the surfaces so I probably missed a tiny spec of old gasket material. Have 3-4 drops of coolant working their way out. Sucks to have to tear it down again, but I'm getting to be a pro at it! 

Can I re-use the gasket if I've only ran it for 1 heat cycle???

Right on . I run same oil and bout the same maintance but use Flo filters for oil and twin air for air. Vet riden only.  Our 250f i have always gotten 50hrs out of topends. This is my first 450f so was hoping to go a little longer.

Just a quick update - 

I pulled everything down again, wet sanded the mating surfaces of everything (cylinder, head) and installed OEM base and head gasket. Buttoned it all up and there are no leaks. For what its worth - I'll go with OEM gaskets every time. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

No freaking way that wiseco coating lasted 500hrs. 

Ok on closer look im thinking thst wiseco hasnt been installed yet.

500 is a strech but kibda believe able though id think it would need valves at minumum to keep rolling to 500 maybe a couble valve jobs.

Edited by Evan03
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Evan03 said:

No freaking way that wiseco coating lasted 500hrs. 

Ok on closer look im thinking thst wiseco hasnt been installed yet.

500 is a strech but kibda believe able though id think it would need valves at minumum to keep rolling to 500 maybe a couble valve jobs.

Still have the piston definitely been used, right around 500 hours on it. Only reason I didn't put it back in I was worried after that many hours maybe some hairline cracks around the wrist pin I couldn't see.