Steering stem bearings

When I reinstall the stem I know there is a way to make sure the triple clamp is all straight and the forks are straight with the front tire. What is that sequence again?  I remember that there are things you leave loose and other things get tightened first, please let me know thanks. 

3 hours ago, Yamalube317 said:

When I reinstall the stem I know there is a way to make sure the triple clamp is all straight and the forks are straight with the front tire. What is that sequence again?  I remember that there are things you leave loose and other things get tightened first, please let me know thanks. 

Lower pinch bolts on the triple are tightened first, then spanner nut (get your steering head tightness here), then top triple clamp nut, upper pinch bolts on the tripple. Once the entire front end is put together then the axle pinch bolts are last. Tighten right axle pinch bolts, tighten 22mm nut left side, loosen right axle pinch bolts, tighten left axle pinch bolts. Stand over front wheel facing bike and squeeze wheel while trying to turn bike back and forth. Straddle bike on seating position and hold front brake giving it as hard as you can compressions. Tighten right axle pinch bolts. Done... 

This was told to me by a 70yo ex-baja Husquvarna racer. 

On older bikes and old springs, one fork spring can weaker than the other makeing one fork leg longer than the other at zero sag. In this case, loosen the upper and lower triple clamp bolts on one side only and repete the other steps underlined. Put it on a stand with front wheel off the ground, then tighten the triple pinch bolts back up. This will ensure the axle is aligned with the fork tube lengths.

Edited by 2 STOKE YZ DOC
  • Like 1