Yoshi RS-3 offroad muffler repacking

I tried to search for this with no luck. I've got a Yoshi RS-3 offroad muffler on my DRZ400e and I want to know if I can repack it. It has the insert in it already but I'm wondering if it can be repacked. 

Yes I saw all the Google hits but I wanted to make 'absolutely' sure that I could do this to my specific RS-3 offroad muffler before I started drilling, as I've never done it before. So to end this thread, I could not find any specific info for my muffler so I went ahead and drilled the rivets out. And yes, I can repack a Yoshimura RS-3 offroad muffler. The one thing that I didn't realize until after is that you have to drill out the rivets for the metal Yoshimura decal as well so that the rear bracket can pass by it while you're pounding it forward to release the front section. It really does shock me that every time you want to repack, and Yoshimura says you should repack every 6-10 hours :jawdrop:  you need to drill out rivets. Why oh why don't they make a bolt setup? 

Edited by azr33

Just now, azr33 said:

Yes I saw all the Google hits but I wanted to make 'absolutely' sure that I could do this to my specific RS-3 offroad muffler before I started drilling. So to end this thread, I could not find any specific info for my muffler so I went ahead and drilled the rivets out. And yes, I can repack a Yoshimura RS-3 offroad muffler. The one thing that I didn't realize until after is that you have to drill out the rivets for the metal Yoshimura decal as well so that the rear bracket can pass by it while you're pounding it forward to release the front section. It really does shock me that every time you want to repack, and Yoshimura says you should repack every 6-10 hours :jawdrop:  you need to drill out rivets. Why oh why don't they make a bolt setup? 

You don't use rivets again, you use Sheet metal screws.

If you use FMF's universal cut-to-fit packing, you can go 25-50 hours no problem.

Sheet metal screws? great info, thanks. Have you ever had them come out though?

11 hours ago, azr33 said:

Sheet metal screws? great info, thanks. Have you ever had them come out though?

Put a little RTV on the bottom sides of the heads and they won't come out, but you'll be able to get them out later.

• Like 1