84 XL250R custom in the works

Hello all, making this forum to keep track of/ share my progress on my winter project here.

Bike is a running, driving, titled 1984 XL250R I picked up for $700. The suspension both front and rear are shot, the drum brakes are beyond terrible and the carbs are in need of attention but it still starts and idles on full choke lol.

After much research on what I could do to help the suspension, brakes and overall looks I found that the front and rear suspension off of a 90 CR125/250 would be an almost direct bolt on aside from some bearing sizing issues and bushing issues with the rear swing arm. Haven't had time to confirm either yet so we will see how that goes.

Here is a few before pics of the XL.IMG_20171102_141101.jpgIMG_20171102_141205.jpgIMG_20171102_141253.jpgIMG_20171102_141310.jpgIMG_20171102_141343.jpgIMG_20171102_141356.jpg

• Like 1

looks like a good start on a restoration. its clean for its age. nice find.  don't know about the shock change youd have to do some measuring to see if its in the paddock.

good luck with it keen to see how it goes.

• Like 1

Got both bikes tore down today, was going to mock up the triples to see how I was going to mount some of the other stuff but found out that the steering stem from the 90 CR is a bit longer than the XL stem, didn't feel like messing with the swing arm/ shock today so that'll be a project for this week. Going to have to press out the stem from the XL and press it into the CR bottom clamp.. if it'll even fit but we shall see!!IMG_20171102_141540.jpgIMG_20171102_160804.jpgIMG_20171110_141015.jpgIMG_20171102_160444.jpg

• Like 1

that pore old cr    I hope its dead and the only reason to dismember it!  sad part is that cr in ok nick is worth so much more than the xl will ever be.   as for pressing the tube from the trees, let us know how you go with that I get the feeling the two are cast together. to separate them would destroy them.  have you considered using a spacer instead of pressing?  are the bearings the same?  there are a lot of considerations in swapping a front end.  sounds like you need to get the verniers out and do some calculating before hacking up any parts.  if making a modification to a part that is non reversible  best to be 100% positive its right or things could get rather expensive

Update: I mocked up the rear end the other day to see how everything was going to fit together and see what I needed to do to get everything lined up and working properly, after putting the CR swing arm in place and trying different combinations between the CR linkage and shock and the XL linkage and shock what I'm going to have to do is use the CR linkage and the XL shock which will require spacers (no big deal) but will also require lengthening the XL shock somehow because the CR linkage connects BELOW the swingarm and the XL connected ABOVE the swingarm. The reason I cannot use the CR shock is because the reservoir hits the frame.

I went to the post do-it-yourself shop and used their hydraulic press to press both steering stems out of the lower triples. The XL required A LOT of force (3,000 lbs) to finnally break it loose and the CR stem came out relatively easy, once the were both pressed out I realized the XL stem is a bit smaller in diameter than the CR stem so that along with the frame, swimgarm and shock will be going to a welder/fabricator in the near future to help figure all that out.

Also was able to make some more progress on the tear down today ( only making baby steps because of work and holidays ) but I got the airbox, carbs and other non daunting things out of the way. My weekend project will be getting the wiring and engine taken out of the frame IMG_20171117_171048.jpgIMG_20171117_171036.jpgIMG_20171117_165005.jpgIMG_20171128_174424.jpg

• Like 1

that pore old cr    I hope its dead and the only reason to dismember it!  sad part is that cr in ok nick is worth so much more than the xl will ever be.   as for pressing the tube from the trees, let us know how you go with that I get the feeling the two are cast together. to separate them would destroy them.  have you considered using a spacer instead of pressing?  are the bearings the same?  there are a lot of considerations in swapping a front end.  sounds like you need to get the verniers out and do some calculating before hacking up any parts.  if making a modification to a part that is non reversible  best to be 100% positive its right or things could get rather expensive
Sorry for taking so long to reply, the CR was fully alive but the whole bike was so much cheaper than buying parts individually and I'm currently trying to find a good home for the running CAR engine and the rest of what's left of it. Cost and resale value aren't a huge issue with this build, I'm just seeking to create my first "custom" motorcycle. I'm going to see what the fab shop says about the easiest method to make everything fit together wether it be spacers or welding - we will see. And the good thing about older bikes is that used replacement parts are usually always cheap

Got the wiring harness and engine out this past weekend and dropped the frame and swing arm off at the fab shop. They said modifying the frame mounts to accept the CR swingarm and linkage should be fairly simple but told me that I could not use either the CR or XL shock. I will have to find a shock from another bike with the same length of the CR shock but without the reservoir attached. He also said that making a spacer for the XL stem to fit into the CR triples should be easy also I just need to find the time to drop off the parts at the machinist he recommended.

In the mean time I started to clean the gunk off all the parts and am going to try to restore and revitalize as much metal parts as I can, thinking of using a steel brush/ scotch Brite pad on things like axle nuts, wheels and brakes to knock off rust and other serious imperfections. IMG_20171201_124906.jpgIMG_20171201_124821.jpg

• Like 1

good o  scotch brite  pads work great for cleaning steel parts. if you are trying to save money there are some great DIY nickel plating tutorials on you tube. then your clean parts wont rust straight away and will look new. if you are savvy in the work shop it is worth a look. I am researching these methods my self as OEM bolts and nuts are so expensive for what they are and I think the cost of the chemicals and nickel would be cheaper than buying new bolts (if you have a heap of them to do)   thanks for the pix its good to see what others are up to.  maybe an early shock with an off mounted res would be the go? as an example. 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-CR250-CR-250-RE-Rear-Shock-Absorber-Strut-Spring-1984-84/330635125923?hash=item4cfb63a4a3:g:HNMAAOSwlptZ8BwU

Edited by vicxr400
computer crash
  • Like 1

FINALLY got the frame back, along with the swing arm fitted to it from the fab shop and the triple back from the machinist! The triple required just a spacer to make the XL stem fit into the CR triples but to make the CR swing arm to fit required cutting and re-welding the linkage mount and creating a lot of spacers. I mocked everything up as soon as I got it home and everything fits up great so far, now just gotta order maintenance parts to replace all the old grimey bearings and things.

I still have to find a shock that will work but I'm having a hard time finding a local buyer, I'd like to bring the frame and swingarm along with me when I buy one to make sure it works. I'm already stuck with 2 useless shocks I can't seem to get rid of

Lots of progress will be showing soon!IMG_20180201_135538.jpgIMG_20180201_131818.jpgIMG_20180201_130756.jpgIMG_20180201_130708.jpgIMG_20180201_130631.jpg

So I decided to get into the motor while I had it out to diagnose why my Kickstarter would not return and to replace the leaking kickstart shaft seal. When I got the case cover off and was looking at the shaft and gears I noticed there was A LOT of play up and down in the shaft which probably led to the leaky seal.. I took the shaft out to inspect the parts and there is no noticable damage anywhere on the shaft, gears, spring or the inside of the case, so I'm stumped. I put it back in hoping the something was just loose and reassembling it would fix the issue but no dice. Any body have any suggestions? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Also got the carb cleaned, rebuilt and rejetted IMG_20180219_123425.jpgIMG_20180219_123402.jpgIMG_20180219_123452.jpgIMG_20180219_123442.jpg

mount the tank. Check to see if the forks are going to clear at full lock. For some reason the fat tubes seem like things are going to be close

• Like 1

mount the tank. Check to see if the forks are going to clear at full lock. For some reason the fat tubes seem like things are going to be close
Yea I realized I'm going to have to modify the steering stops one way or another upon reassembly but that's way down on the priority list. Still can't decide if I want to keep the stock tank/seat