KLX 650 Exhaust Cam

I had my ACR break off of the exhaust cam and it seems to be irreparable. I'm wondering if anyone has some good leads on finding a replacement as Kawasaki no longer makes them. Maybe looking for a parts motor?

I don't think Web Cams(or any of the other aftermarket) will use the decomp so a good battery will be needed . I use LiFe PO4's for 2 high comp motors without decomp systems. This would be a good chance to help this motor breath better .  These pins breaking off is a common issue with the KLR's and is the same system used here . One fix to help others before this happens is to keep an eye on them a reweld the pin if it shows to be loose or replace with a new one and weld back in. Also routinely replace the spring as they get weak and let the arms flutter .

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

• Similar Content

• By photonicreno
      Hi all!

I've got an issue, one of many when it comes to bikes. I searched throughout all the pages I could find pertaining to my situation and couldn't find very much useful information.
      So the issue is, the bike has no electric start.... until it's hot enough to melt steel that is. It will bump start first time every time. But I can sit and crank the starter over for ever and it'll never start until the charger is bumped up past 200 amps. Not good.

The story so far,
      Got the bike for 1k cash. Guy said it has no spark and no second gear. This particular guy also only ever rode newer crotch rockets. Brought it home pulled the choke, attached battery charger and she fired right up. Ran like absolute crap, but oh well I figure it's an older bike with only 10k miles so it probably needs a good carb cleaning. Took the carb apart and didn't know I messed something up until way later(didn't tighten down main jet). Oh well she runs well enough if I can get her started. Moved from California to Oklahoma. Eventually found the money to fix 2nd gear, and as I am a certified Honda small engine technician apprentice I figured it would be no big deal. Completely tore down engine to it's roots replaced 2nd, and 5th gear(because 5th gear connects to 2nd on the countershaft) dogs were worn pretty badly on both. The engine looked quite good compared to most others I've seen. Put the engine back together as per the service manual. Did all the right steps including loosening the banjo bolts to test for proper oil pressure. I even tore apart the electric starter to clean the contacts and the brushes and replace the dielectric grease. Adjusted the valves as per the service manual, replaced all gaskets, o-rings, seals, and oil filter.
       Finally after about a month of waiting on parts and reassembly I get to start her, only she doesn't. Electric start is still giving me the same issues I've always had. So I replaced the Ignition coil, CDI box, and put a new battery in, plus the starter motor rebuild. Nothing. Still cranks forever. I said what the heck and tried to push it slightly down hill and bump start it, and voila... fired right up! Once she gets hot enough and the stator charges the battery enough it'll electric start... sometimes.
       So I looked towards ignition, used a tool called ignition mate. Pretty awesome tool if you can afford it. Well while cranking the ignition mate reads the spark plug is getting 1-4kw of "spark" every cycle, well it only fires after getting up past 5kw sometimes 6-8kw. And sometimes the ignition would be intermittent as in it wouldn't give any spark at all. I cycle the ignition and it seems to soft reset the bike as it will usually give it back spark. I tested this with the new and old CDI box, the old one would never spark. Ever. So I threw it in the trash. A month later I stil l can't figure it out.
       Is there something I'm missing?

TL;DR
      Bike won't start using electric start only bump start before and after engine rebuild
      Electric start works after pushing the starter past about 200 cold cranking amps or when hot.

• By Patrick McKenzie
      The radiator fan isn’t starting up, even though none of the fuses or connections between the battery, fan and radiator are bad. I figured it has to be the fan relay, but none of the diagrams I’ve seen matched up with the wires on the bike. Does anyone know where the fan relay is for this bike?
    • By Dead_Eyes
      Recently picked up a 2012 klx250s. Bike was in need of a carb tune. I re jetted and picked up a easy access fuel air screw. The stock one was so wedged up into the carb that it Would not come loose. Screwdriver slipped and snapped off the housing around the fuel air screw. 
      Am I screwed (no pun intended)  do I need to just replace the entire carb now?
      if anyone has better know how or where i can order the correct parts id be so appreciative. 

• By hrchins
      Hey Thumpers,
      I am swapping forks and need to know what triple clamps / tripple trees will also fit the 93-96 KLX650r forks. Through some research it looks like KLX300 and pre 09 KLX250 clamps will also fit. But given the ambiguous name of these parts (triple/tripple trees/clamps) doing a search to get good info is difficult. And many of the clamps I am finding for sale are rather expensive so just want to make sure I am getting the right part before pulling the trigger. Thanks for your help!