Shorter shift lever

I'm sure it has more to do with poor technic, but I find myself exaggerating the effort to find the lever and shift. So I'm thinking a shorter lever might do the trick. Bike is an '07 450R,  size 11 boot. I'm hoping someone has done this and point me in the right direction. Thanks.  

Im thinking a shorter lever would make things worse. Try going higher or lower with your shifter position.

• Like 1

Whenever I put an aftermarket shifter on my CR500's, the shifter was always a bit shorter. IMS or whatever. I agree with Hoover though, raise and lower it on the shaft and see if that helps first.

Thanks for the replies. I've tried  different positions with some improvement. I just seems (when standing) I have to make a conscious effort  to find it. That's why I was thinking shorter.

5 hours ago, drumiv said:

Thanks for the replies. I've tried  different positions with some improvement. I just seems (when standing) I have to make a conscious effort  to find it. That's why I was thinking shorter.

What size boot do you wear?

1 hour ago, HRC27 said:

What size boot do you wear?

11. Also using the hammerhead shifter, stock size, with the "0" tip.

Hmmm. I'm an 11 as well and have no problems with the shifter when it's moved one spline up.  Stock, I feel like I'm shifting with my toe.

Edited by HRC27

I just can't imagine wanting a shorter than stock shift lever with a size 11 boot, the stock Honda levers are too short to begin with. Hammerhead's recommendation for size 11 boots is +10mm (10mm longer than stock), and that's exactly what I like. I like the lever in a clock position (spline) that puts the tip quite a bit higher than the top of the footpeg  (I believe this is what most riding coaches recommend), otherwise it's hard to get my toe underneath the lever to shift, and I'm more likely to hit it when I don't mean to.  Where do you have the lever height relative to the footpeg now?

37 minutes ago, matte said:

I just can't imagine wanting a shorter than stock shift lever with a size 11 boot, the stock Honda levers are too short to begin with. Hammerhead's recommendation for size 11 boots is +10mm (10mm longer than stock), and that's exactly what I like. I like the lever in a clock position (spline) that puts the tip quite a bit higher than the top of the footpeg  (I believe this is what most riding coaches recommend), otherwise it's hard to get my toe underneath the lever to shift, and I'm more likely to hit it when I don't mean to.  Where do you have the lever height relative to the footpeg now?

That sounds good for upshifts but a bit too much for downshifts.

4 minutes ago, HRC27 said:

That sounds good for upshifts but a bit too much for downshifts.

It's certainly an individual preference thing, but for me, I have no problem at all lifting my foot up to wherever it needs to be for downshifts, but getting the right feel for upshifts (and clearance so I don't accidentally bump the lever when not trying to shift) is much more critical.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, matte said:

It's just above the foot peg, say, 9:15.

6 hours ago, drumiv said:

It's just above the foot peg, say, 9:15.

just for the hell of it, try going up one spline, you might find that it's easier to get your foot underneath the lever, making shifting easier.

2 hours ago, matte said:

just for the hell of it, try going up one spline, you might find that it's easier to get your foot underneath the lever, making shifting easier.

I'll give it a shot, thanks. Might be awhile. Coincidently, I managed to break something in my left foot. Right where the shift tip is.