250 Rally stumble

Hello all, bought a new 250 Rally a few weeks ago and have been experiencing a noticeable flat spot in power from about 1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle, it almost feels like it's bogging.  The bike only has around 200 miles so far but after 8 or so heat cycles, nothing is changing, I get a slightly erratic idle at start up and some popping on decal, this thing just feels super lean, I'm at about 300 ft elevation.  I've read that these bikes loosen up at about 800 miles but I don't feel like it's a break in issue.  Any thoughts before I take it to the dealer so they can tell me that it's normal?

That's def. not a break in issue IMO. All new bikes come from the factory well on their way to being broken in these days. Sounds like maybe an issue with the FI? Throttle body or ECU maybe?

If it was my new bike under warranty I'd drop it back at the dealer and wouldn't accept it back until it wasn't doing that anymore.

Edited by Kompact
  • Like 1

These bikes are pretty gutless in stock form. 200 miles is less than 2 tankfulls. I would try and buy my fuel from somewhere else, maybe try some more expensive unleaded and see if the symptoms improve.

Also these bikes only make 20bhp.

At 1/4 throttle is that a flat spot? or is that what 5bhp feels like? 

Edited by Garth Knight
  • Like 3

I've tried new fuel already without any improvement so I don't that's it, I wish it was.  I really didn't expect it to be a powerhouse by any means but that dead spot at 1/4 to 3/4 throttle makes an already low powered machine almost unrideable, I'm trying to break the bike in properly but am really having to give it large throttle input just to make it go.  I rode an 1199 Panigale recently that had a clogged fuel injector that showed similar issues, I'm hoping that's all it is. 

• Like 2

These bikes are so over geared from the factory that it is just silly ... :facepalm:   So we either have to increase power or gearing or both. On my 2013 going from 14/40 to 13/42 actually increased my top speed. 

My stock CRF230L had more throttle response than the stock CRF250L and did better clutch ups.  I almost did not buy the bike because of that but, after many many mods I am happy to say I have no dead spots and can lift the front in 3rd. I now run 13/44's full exhaust 305 bore kit and upgraded clutch and it is the perfect little intown cruiser as it requires very little shifting ... it also rips on the trails ... :ride:   If the rally was a 350/400 or even a 500 twin I would have upgraded. In my opinion this bike really needs more than 25hp ... :cheers: 

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, gnath9 said:

These bikes are so over geared from the factory that it is just silly ... :facepalm:      If the rally was a 350/400 or even a 500 twin I would have upgraded. In my opinion this bike really needs more than 25hp ... :cheers: 

The 94 HP Honda is very exciting...:rolleyes:

Just saying... :ride:

• Like 1

On 11/15/2017 at 7:49 PM, Oldmossyspokes said:

The 94 HP Honda is very exciting...:rolleyes:

Just saying... :ride:

I still have not ruled out buying one yet and will be used for mostly on road/dirt roads.  The Africa Twin is about the only "True" Adventure bike in my mind ... :thumbsup: 

the others are just glorified street bikes ....  :lol: 

• Like 2

On 11/15/2017 at 9:49 PM, Kompact said:

Did you take it back to the dealer yet or figure it out?

No.  Sorry for the radio silence.  I'm now still under 300 miles on the bike.  I went riding a few days ago with a friend off road, pretty rough stuff, he has a bone stock CRF230F, great little bike as y'all probably already know, we swapped bikes and I couldn't believe how much more power his bike had than mine, I know the gearing makes a huge difference but it's a significant difference between the two, the guy that I let ride it said it was bogging at half throttle.  I also am now noticing that at very small throttle openings at 5k rpms or more, it has a high pitch rattle in the motor, like the cam chain is bouncing around, if I let off the throttle it stops or if I give it more throttle it stops, it's just at very small throttle openings.  I'll be taking it back to the dealer as soon as my work schedule allows, I work for the USPS so it might be after christmas:(  

• Like 1