2017 strip down to bare frame process

Hi Guy's

As you know from another thread I will be stripping my 2017 down to a bare frame to change frames to a new one. I have never pulled an EFI one down to a bare frame before ( the last one I did was a 2007 carb model 8 odd yrs ago) let alone one with the electric start as well.

Wiring is not my strong point.... far from it.

Bike currently sits with no suspension or plastics wheels ect.. basically motor in the frame ( untouched as yet ) and sub frame with Air box and battery still connected. Once I took a look at the wiring I decided to call it a night as it was late anyways.

What I was hoping to hear, mainly from the guy's who have stripped one down like I need to - what tips do you have or better still what process did you go through.

I just don't want to fry or short anything out..

Thanks in advance Rob

Just take lots of pictures for the wiring layout. I found the efi bikes can be confusing trying to remember how the wiring was laid out in the frame when putting things back together. Pictures really really help.

1 hour ago, donnelly1979 said:

Just take lots of pictures for the wiring layout. I found the efi bikes can be confusing trying to remember how the wiring was laid out in the frame when putting things back together. Pictures really really help.

This and use masking tape to write down where things go. Blue or green tape is best as it comes off clean.  If I hadn't taken pictures and marked everything I never would have gotten this thing back together.

IMG_1225_web.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

Use a paint marker, different color on each connection and draw a lint from one to the other when they’re connected. Will be very easy. I’ve don’t this on my quad. Also it lasts so if u ever have to take it apart again it’ll still be there 

7 hours ago, michaelchristie207 said:

Use a paint marker, different color on each connection and draw a lint from one to the other when they’re connected. Will be very easy. I’ve don’t this on my quad. Also it lasts so if u ever have to take it apart again it’ll still be there 

This and pics for routing would be full proof.

Edited by HRC27

Good info so far. I’m curious about why the dealer isn’t doing this as it’s clearly a manufactures defect? If you’re stuck with the job buy a Honda service manual as they have the wiring diagrams and routing info. Unfortunately the diagrams aren’t in color. You might even want to video the disassembly so you can capture the work you did.

Your Honda dealer should be doing this job anyway, and Honda should be paying

To be clear I purchased through a connection that is sponsored by Honda at a ridiculously cheap price. I went back through my contact who if I shipped it back to (another state)  would probably do it but seeing I got this deal I will attempt it myself with some help if needed. Honda is supplying me a new frame at no charge to me as well.

Edited by rob450thumper