Xt350 kickstart seal

Edit: Thanks, my question has been answered by S.O.A.N.Z. And my question and information about the other washer was incorrect I was just confused. Thanks for reading.

I recently broke my kickstart shaft due to no decompression cable (I don't have the brackets for it and can't find them anywhere).

Taking the cover off was difficult due to a piece of bent metal. It slightly damaged the seal on the opening in the case. I was thinking of just replacing it to be safe. But I'm not sure if the part on the schematic is the right one (93102-17263-00). 

The reason I'm not sure is there is a washer on the kick lever side of the shaft that goes under the spring. I'm not sure if this part is the washer or the outer seal. The strange and confusing thing is the washer in question (or, potentially the outer seal, if that part is the washer) is not listed on the schematic. Even in the Clymer manual the schematic is missing that part, meanwhile it specifically says to remove that washer in the disassembly guide.

Can anyone tell me if that is the seal that goes on the case cover where the shaft comes out? 

If it is, it is scary to think that if I lost that inner washer I would not be able to find it anywhere. If it is the washer, then I do not know where to find the outer seal. Lol.

Edited by Thatslyb

yes correct seal

the washer youre referring to - did you mean number 11 ? - the spacer which sits inside the spring

xt.jpg.e8a4291527aaba530c34e80cefd2a724.jpg

1 minute ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

yes correct seal

the washer youre referring to - did you mean number 11 ? - the spacer which sits inside the spring

xt.jpg.e8a4291527aaba530c34e80cefd2a724.jpg

Ok thanks for the clarification. Does this need to form a tight seal? It got a little deformed but is mostly still intact. I Will probably just change it anyway if I can figure out which way it's supposed to come out lol. rather than have to take the cover apart again. Now if I could just get the larger circlip off. It bent my needlenose pliers. I will need a larger pair. The small one was hard enough. But I digress.

As for the other washer, I actually just typed out a reply trying to describe the washer and realized I am just an idiot. The washer I was thinking of is not under the large washer, rather it is on the end on the other side. For some reason I thought it was on the lever side since the rest of the opposite side is held together.

So this post is more of me confusing myself than anything lol. Thanks for the help though

yep tight seal - it will be pressed in from the outside - i normally use a screwdriver under the lip and pry it out - paying attention not to gouge the case cover

6 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

yep tight seal - it will be pressed in from the outside - i normally use a screwdriver under the lip and pry it out - paying attention not to gouge the case cover

Thanks! So I am better off replacing it. I already ordered a new one. This one had a little crease/bend  in it and the outer part was disformed so I was afraid it may not seal completely.

One more question: what should I use to lubricate the new shaft? Or will the engine oil lubricate it on its own from splashing up? (I assume it splashes around). The manual says assembly oil but I'm not sure what that is or where to get it. Was wondering if I could just use engine oil or something I already have for lubricating other parts.

Side story: Problem was I couldn't slip the cover off all the way. And when I pushed it back down the bent metal edge pushed up and got caught on the seal. Thereby making it so I couldn't even file it. I briefly tried a Dremel but it was too close. Luckily I use a little leverage and it slipped out but the seal was hurt a little

something like this - from automotive shops

X001-Y002.jpg

0094840_Maxima-Racing-Oil-Assembly-Oil_300.jpeg

5 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

something like this - from automotive shops

X001-Y002.jpgX001-Y002.jpg

0094840_Maxima-Racing-Oil-Assembly-Oil_300.jpeg0094840_Maxima-Racing-Oil-Assembly-Oil_300.jpeg

Thanks I will have to see if they have it at autozone