IRC M5B

Why such a big tire on an XT? 

I ran a 140 EVO on my 250RR. I'll never do it again after going back to a 5.10 (similar to a 110) with the IRC VE-33. I didn't really notice it while running the 140 but when I switched back to the smaller tire i was surprised how much feeling I got back in the bike. Turned much better, felt lighter and snappier. If I was to go back to the M5B it definitely would be the 130.

• Like 1

I installed an IRC 130/80 EVO on my Beta 300RR and am thus far quite pleased with it.  After 12 rides in various terrain in CA and NV including Chalk Bluff, Tevis Cup, Foresthill, and Gorman in CA and Sweetwater, Middlegate, and Pine Nuts in NV the tire is still working and wearing very well.  As you can see I ride in a variety of terrain although I do attempt to keep 'tire shredding' to a minimum. I run Tubliss front and rear starting out with 7 psi in the EVO. 

Edited by Chas_M
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, cdf450 said:

awesome, dealt with him before. hes the best!!!!

amazon didnt have any... well they did. for $185 a piece.

EVOs are $65 though and worth every penny.... heard theyre pure garbage.

$86 @ rmatv

FYI, Jeff only has EVOs also.

he brought up a good point... any non EVO versions would be getting a tad old by now.  sucks, I finally found a tire I love, and they discontinue it that year.  what a fkn joke IRC has become.

• Like 2

FYI, Jeff only has EVOs also.

he brought up a good point... any non EVO versions would be getting a tad old by now.  sucks, I finally found a tire I love, and they discontinue it that year.  what a fkn joke IRC has become.

I use to run the standard m5b and tried the EVO on my last tire change. To me it hooks up just as good but just doesn’t last quite as long. It is cheaper however. I than went back to my tried and true IRC ve-33. Forgot how much I like that tire. Won’t be going back to the EVO. Not sure where you are located but the VE may be worth looking into. I’m in WA.

On 2018-01-01 at 2:49 PM, DEMI said:

what options have you guys looked into?

I have a stack of them in my garage and there are plenty more available. Anybody worrying about a tire with a build date a year old is crazy. If they were stored even half decent no one would ever know. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ckny said:

I have a stack of them in my garage and there are plenty more available. Anybody worrying about a tire with a build date a year old is crazy. If they were stored even half decent no one would ever know. 

Careful CK, that may ruffle some feathers!

3 minutes ago, DEMI said:

Careful CK, that may ruffle some feathers!

Well Demi, maybe you know by now that ruffling feathers is my specialty. 

Funny, I bought a bunch of old stock Golden Fattys from Jeff, around 20 tires and some had late 14 build dates. Not one complaint about those tires. An average offroad tire has a life of around 5 years if stored ok.

My garage is set to 65f and is humidity controlled. I bet my garage holds tires better than the average dealer or distributor lol...

• Like 2

I use to run the standard m5b and tried the EVO on my last tire change. To me it hooks up just as good but just doesn’t last quite as long. It is cheaper however. I than went back to my tried and true IRC ve-33. Forgot how much I like that tire. Won’t be going back to the EVO. Not sure where you are located but the VE may be worth looking into. I’m in WA.

that's the next rear for me. Its on the list.

I will just add something quick to the people who will no doubt question the 5 year rule with tires. We have 2 very large Michelin plants where I live and quite a few of my friends work their. Some are engineers, techs, line workers and maintanance guys. My one engineer buddy there also races bikes and Rally Cars. According to Michelin, 5 to 6 years is a realistic number for tire shelf life if stored between 15 to 20 deg cel in a fairly stable humidity without a lot of direct light. Randy Richardson from Michelin USA told me the same thing. 

So if you store your tires in the back yard or the old shed I can’t help you....

• Like 1