should i go tubliss?

Hi, i currently have maxxis dessert it rear tire on my 2010 300xc, i am not impressed with traction,i ride a lot of muddy stuff, but some hard stuff too, it does great on the heard stuff but is horrible in the mud,my question is,if i went tubliss would that tire work good in the mud? Or should i get a irc m5b without tubliss?

I can't speak for that tire specifically, but I'm on a 2014 300 xcw and the at81's did great in everything except mud. I went tubliss and the difference is absolutely incredible. Night and day. After that, I have had nothing bad to say about the at81's and was pleasantly surprised to see the continued long life/little wear even running low psi. However, running low psi in the front allowed the sidewall to shift in turns. It always felt like it was going to slide out from under me when going into a turn. It never did, but I just couldn't get used to it and increased front pressure back to 8 psi (same as I run with a tube). Of course, doing that kinda defeats the purpose of tubliss (except for repairing flats with a plug kit). So that being said, I highly recommend tubliss, but I recommend just doing the rear and stick with a tube on the front. I'm planning to stud my at81's now and just ordered a set of starcross 5's to replace them.

Tubliss is awesome and worth every penny IMO.

TireBalls bro! 

Might as well, it doesn't get lower maintenance than tubliss at low pressures.

Tubliss is da shizz...

Might as well, it doesn't get lower maintenance than tubliss at low pressures.

I would say that tubliss is higher maintenance than using HD tubes.
You have two pressures to check (the small inner tube pressure changes enough in one week that it needs a top off before each ride).
Tires wear out faster (for me, the carcass gets soft before the knobs are gone on most tires and then the punctures start) so more tire changes (though the tire changes are easier than they are with a tube)

I have been running g front and rear for 8+ years now. I don’t think I would do the front again as I don’t run low pressure up there. The rear is nice, but more work than with a tube IMO.

Tubliss has excellent customer service so I feel bad for posting but I am removing it from the front of my bike. New liner, new tire, still wouldn’t hold air in the tire. The high pressure holds but the tire goes flat- ended up with a bent rim. I’m done with it on the front. Back is big traction gains, I’m keeping it there

1 minute ago, woods-rider said:

I would say that tubliss is higher maintenance than using HD tubes.
You have two pressures to check (the small inner tube pressure changes enough in one week that it needs a top off before each ride).
Tires wear out faster (for me, the carcass gets soft before the knobs are gone on most tires and then the punctures start) so more tire changes (though the tire changes are easier than they are with a tube)

I have been running g front and rear for 8+ years now. I don’t think I would do the front again as I don’t run low pressure up there. The rear is nice, but more work than with a tube IMO.

I check my pressures like once a month, don't really have any sealing issues until they get down around 70psi usually, also it seem checking the pressure lets more air out then they would loose in a week anyways. Over three months of storage one of mine lost about 15 psi I think.

for me it sure beats replacing a tube every time a good rock gets smoked at pressures only good for hard enduro, that used to mean time to change a tube. When I ran tubes I was lucky to get a month or two out of an hd tube and wouldn't even get a ride out of one at the pressures I can safely run tubliss. that's the main reason i say lower maintenance because for me they save hours of work.

I hit a cattle guard with a R505 so hard it bent the rim and didn't even damage the tire (tubliss still seats just fine too), I think I have put in maybe 2 or three plugs so far (mostly trials tires) and have never had any issues with sidewalls cracking, but I don't run tires until they are bald either.

Fill your tires with Rotella. 

TireBalls

I had tubliss installed on a few bikes, but I find them to be more maintenance intensive, compared to a regular tube set up. I can mount a set of tires and tubes quicker than a set of tubliss and the other issue that I've ran into is that not every shop carries the inner tube for the high pressure side. Almost every motorcycle shop, otoh, carries tubes. For me, regular hd tubes make more sense.

On 11/13/2017 at 7:21 AM, mixgashaulbass said:

Hi, i currently have maxxis desert it rear tire on my 2010 300xc, i am not impressed with traction,i ride a lot of muddy stuff, but some hard stuff too, it does great on the heard stuff but is horrible in the mud,my question is,if i went tubliss would that tire work good in the mud? Or should i get a irc m5b without tubliss?

You're using a desert compound tire in the woods, you should not be impressed.

The reason why that tire is popular IN the desert of the southwest is because of it's durability anyway, not it's traction. If you ride in a lot of mud you should probably look into getting a soft-terrain tire. Your tube system is less important than your tire selection and PSI setting. 

I run Tubliss tire cores in both front and rear tires on all of my bikes. I've run all sorts of different rubber with them with varying results. 

I have no experience with the Maxxis desert tires, but have run the M5B many times. The IRC works very well at low pressures, but won't seal without using some sort of sealant like Slime or Stan's.

I love the Tubliss tire cores and will definitely never go back to a tube of any kind. HD and UHD tubes don't hold a candle, at least for me. 

I have used many different tires with Tubliss with no issues with sealing when I use Slime as the mounting lubricant.  My current Tubliss combo on my Beta 300RR is a 130/80 M5B and it holds air as well as a tubed tire over long periods of time.  Note that I do not inject additional Slime into the tire.

Thanks for the replies guys,I skipped tubliss and just put a m5b on,love it,I might eventually try tubliss but for now the m5b works great,thank you

I ride a lot of rocks / mud / mish mash of everything up East in Canada

I personally have only tried the AT81RC on my bike and my buddies bike, and its worked really well out here for us at 3 / 3.5 psi all summer. It gets us through everything. We picked it based on feedback from all the other riders in the club, and they weren't wrong.

The biggest mistake you can make converting over to Tubliss is going with your usual soft / med compound tires. They simply won't hold up to rocks at low PSI. You have to go with a reinforced carcass tire like the AT81RC. I also run the Maxxis Cross Desert IT front, and it work extremely well.

Either way, you can't go wrong. For the folks saying they are more work, I would argue only minimally. I look at it this way, every time someone without Tubliss gets stuck going up a gnarly hill or in a mud hole, the amount of energy wasted getting the bike out is wasted riding by cutting your riding short due to exhaustion. With Tubliss, you spend a little bit extra time here and there in the garage with a beer, so that your day out riding is maximized.

I got 2000 km's on my rear AT81RC and my front Maxxis using tubliss. The knobs are still good for at least another 1000 km's, but with tubliss at 3 psi, the sidewall does start to develop fractures and eventually can't hold air anymore...that's the only downside to this system, but in my opinion, quality of life on the trail is ten fold.

Edited by Steph7
tire correction
On 11/28/2017 at 9:33 PM, Hoosier-Daddy said:

Tubliss has excellent customer service so I feel bad for posting but I am removing it from the front of my bike. New liner, new tire, still wouldn’t hold air in the tire. The high pressure holds but the tire goes flat- ended up with a bent rim. I’m done with it on the front. Back is big traction gains, I’m keeping it there

Some tires just flat out won't work with Tubliss, some will only work if used with something like Slime in there, and some need no special prep. So, I'm curious what tire you were trying to mate with it so I can make sure to never try it with Tubliss?

Some tires just flat out won't work with Tubliss, some will only work if used with something like Slime in there, and some need no special prep. So, I'm curious what tire you were trying to mate with it so I can make sure to never try it with Tubliss?

That very well may have been my problem. I didnt try slime. Probably should have. I just didn’t want the mess on future tire changes.

Bridgestone x30. Same tire on the rear seals well and hooks up great.

On 12/5/2017 at 6:45 PM, Hoosier-Daddy said:

That very well may have been my problem. I didnt try slime. Probably should have. I just didn’t want the mess on future tire changes.

The Slime mess thing is so over-played. It wipes away with a paper towel and rinses with water. Adding oil to a vehicle is way messier than dealing with Slime.