WP Xplor forks, preload adjuster VERY hard to turn

Hello,

I have a 2017 KTM 300 EXC/XC-W and the screw caps of my WP Xplor forks have been replaced (by a local mechanic) with the ones with preload adjusters (that comes on 6 Days models and Husqvarna). The problem is that, only at the left compression side, the preload adjuster is really hard to turn from +0 to +3 and impossible to turn from +3 to +6. All the work was done with the proper tools and tightened at the correct torque by the manual. If the fork is removed from the triple clamps it helps a little but it is still much harder to turn than the right side rebound fork.

Any clues of what might be the problem?

If it's anything like the old style ones, I'd suspect a buggered thread?

My 2017 FE450 with Xplor preload adjusters (stock) are the same.  If you remove the caps, they turn easily, once they are installed and are under tension (spring preload) they become hard to adjust.  I do find it easier if the bike is on a stand with front wheel off the ground though.

Hello,

Yes you have to put the bike in a stand to adjust the preload. I’m doing it in a stand and it is still very hard to adjust the left side.

So this IS a thing huh? I can get the right side to adjust on my '17 FE 501, but the left gets 2/3 of the way to "+3" and I don't feel comfortable wrenching on it enough to get it to go the rest of the way. The right fork is tough but I can get it with my fingers, but the left I can't get to go with even a little help from some hand tools, even with the bike on a stand.

Doesn't look like you guys have found a solution huh?

I haven’t. But since a got the correct springs for my weight, I stop bothering about changing the preload. Did you bike came with the preload adjuster from factory or did you bought it from KTM Powerparts?

My bike came with them from the factory.

I am really considering spring changes for my weight.