CRF450R 2006 OIL - AMSOIL vs MOTUL 300V

Hi guys !
I've been using MOTUL 300V Off Road 15W60 in my CRF450R for a long time and I don't have any problems. But I hear good things for AMSOIL Dirt Bike Synthetic oil. What do you guys think about it ? Which oil is better for the CRF to run in both sides ? Which one would you prefer and why ? 

Will appreciate your help ;)

56 minutes ago, Pushkata said:

Hi guys !
I've been using MOTUL 300V Off Road 15W60 in my CRF450R for a long time and I don't have any problems. But I hear good things for AMSOIL Dirt Bike Synthetic oil. What do you guys think about it ? Which oil is better for the CRF to run in both sides ? Which one would you prefer and why ? 

Will appreciate your help ;)

I guess my first question is why is the world are you running a 60 weight oil in a bike made for 40 weight? 

I am biased more to amsoil. But I would definitely be getting 40 weight instead of 60. Either way good oil is good oil you aren't likely to notice or even have any significant difference between them

I'm running w60, because I ride only in summer (Outside temp. arround 30ºC) and all my friends are running their crf's with that oil weight without any problems. 
Should I go with 10w40 ? Isn't it too thin for riding under load for long time ?

1 hour ago, Pushkata said:

I'm running w60, because I ride only in summer (Outside temp. arround 30ºC) and all my friends are running their crf's with that oil weight without any problems. 
Should I go with 10w40 ? Isn't it too thin for riding under load for long time ?

Several problems.

The 40, 60 etc is measured at operating temp.. meaning when running hot your oil is a lot thicker than the engine is meant for, bearing clearances are calculated for a 40 weight oil. Running a thicker oil can reduce flow over the bearings and causes extra pumping losses on the engine

Secondly the only rating that matters with the outside temp where you ride is the winter or W rating. A 10w40 is rated 10 at 0 or 32 degrees ferenheit too lazy to check which.. and 40 at full operating temp. 

And no a 40 is exactly what your engine needs when running hot and hard to maintain lubrication.. if you're really worried about it get some 10w-40 Honda Hp4m oil for the engine side. It reduces friction considerably just don't ever put it in the transmission

I run a 15w-40 generally because I don't ride in most winter months and it's cheap. For my January 1st, freezing temp race I run the recommended 10w40

Edited by jblob

Thanks for the reply.

I would definitely switch to 10W40. I will try the AMSOIL 10W-40 Synthetic Dirt Bike Oil on both sides :) 

• Like 1