17 500 excf as a commute bike?

I would like to commute on the KTM, 100 round trip, during holiday week Fridays and on raining days to try and get through the traffic and avoid the 3 hr stop and go grind.  do you guys see any issues with using the bike in this manner.  its not my ideal choice for a commute bike but it is all I have at the moment.  I can store a 5 gallon jug of gas at work so fuel wont be an issue.  its 50 miles each way door to door.  more worried about the lower volume of oil. I suppose id have to through some DOT tires back on it too.  

14 miles are on a 55 mph road.  The rest is on a freeway.  with exception of the 2-3 miles once I reach my exit that leads to the office.  

The freeway is flowing at speed at 430 am but Is usually stop and go for a large portion after 3pm

Edited by xrbrp

You could with right seat, gearing and tires. Did it once...never again. I cringed the whole time. It fealt like i was buttering toast with a $10,000 samurai sword.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, xrbrp said:

I would like to commute on the KTM, 100 round trip, during holiday week Fridays and on raining days to try and get through the traffic and avoid the 3 hr stop and go grind.  do you guys see any issues with using the bike in this manner.  its not my ideal choice for a commute bike but it is all I have at the moment.  I can store a 5 gallon jug of gas at work so fuel wont be an issue.  its 50 miles each way door to door.  more worried about the lower volume of oil. I suppose id have to through some DOT tires back on it too.  

14 miles are on a 55 mph road.  The rest is on a freeway.  with exception of the 2-3 miles once I reach my exit that leads to the office.  

The freeway is flowing at speed at 430 am but Is usually stop and go for a large portion after 3pm

All my rides are post 100 mile, but my comment is on the interstate, you really need to be able to comfortably (sustain) cruise 85 mph to really be competitive with autos, which the ktm is more than capable with the right gearing.  Sure you can get away with less speed, but its just a standard I have for lengthy stents on the interstate. I don't run the ktm on the interstate , but do have roads, where comfortably sustaining 85 mph speeds are an expectation.

A lot of people say I run 13 48 gearing and can run 85 mph, no problem. But would they do it from California to Newyork?    That's where the Comfortable cruise comes into play.

The volume of oil, is not an issue unless the bike burns oil, otherwise it shouldn't be an issue, if you normally dont burn oil.

Ive ridden bikes like the DRZ 1500 miles straight across interstate, being that bike is a 5 speed, even with stock gearing, its comfy cruise range is around 75 mph Long term. Sure it will do post 90 mph, but you wouldn't be sustaining that for long periods of time.

Now the 17's are a more compact hand grenade with less oil , but they may do as well as the older more oiled models, that normally don't burn oil under any condition.

Buy a set of sumo wheels with a cush drive rear and lower the rear spocket gearing to 40T.

I wouldn't recommend it but if this is your only bike, might as well make it comfortable.  Just get ready to do a lot of oil changes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spud786 said:

All my rides are post 100 mile, but my comment is on the interstate, you really need to be able to comfortably (sustain) cruise 85 mph to really be competitive with autos, which the ktm is more than capable with the right gearing.  Sure you can get away with less speed, but its just a standard I have for lengthy stents on the interstate. I don't run the ktm on the interstate , but do have roads, where comfortably sustaining 85 mph speeds are an expectation.

A lot of people say I run 13 48 gearing and can run 85 mph, no problem. But would they do it from California to Newyork?    That's where the Comfortable cruise comes into play.

The volume of oil, is not an issue unless the bike burns oil, otherwise it shouldn't be an issue, if you normally dont burn oil.

Ive ridden bikes like the DRZ 1500 miles straight across interstate, being that bike is a 5 speed, even with stock gearing, its comfy cruise range is around 75 mph Long term. Sure it will do post 90 mph, but you wouldn't be sustaining that for long periods of time.

Now the 17's are a more compact hand grenade with less oil , but they may do as well as the older more oiled models, that normally don't burn oil under any condition.

Thanks. I'd only have to use the bike occasionally and could take non freeway, 4 lane (2 each direction) or even 2 lane well used country road to slow down the speed. Just mainly want to avoid the massive traffic jam during the holidays. I will give it a go. First i need to install the dot tires. Unfortunately I gave the rear one away to someone that needed it but didn't have money. 

I have the front tire still. Brand new. Thanks for the helpful information. The bike doesn't use oil but it's pretty new still. I guess if the bike gets used 10-20 times a year commute it won't cause much harm. Hell that would only be 1k-2k miles 

• Like 1

Just make sure the tires are truly balanced, otherwise it will be horrible on the interstate.

• Like 4

If you overlook the stock tires on wet or slick pavement....thumbs up on the buttering toast comment.  Even with stock sprockets...you have plenty of power. I've had a lot of bikes in my life....I'll just say if Budweiser is the king of beers...the 2017 500exc should be the reigning king of dual sports. Its a nimble bike, crisp and smooth.

I commuted on mine once and hated it. 80 mile round trip. Got home, put it away, rode the vstrom the next day and it felt like a Rolls Royce!

Just sayin'

• Like 3

I wouldn’t do it. That comes from a guy who had the same idea that you have. The bikes geometry makes for a dangerous commute on pavement IMO. All is good as long as the commute doesn’t come with any surprises. But any rider who commutes on a motorcycle knows that’s not realistic. I had a few scary moments with objects appearing in the road. Any type of quick reaction at freeway speeds may lead to loss of control. Nothing stable about that bike at 70moh on pavement. The exc is a dirt bike... a dirt bike designed for dirt but able to link trails through pavement use. It’s not a highway commuter. And I won’t even get into maintenance costs as a commuter...

lower the suspension 20mm then add some super-moto wheels and tires then balance and ride

lower the suspension 20mm then add some super-moto wheels and tires then balance and ride

I didn’t lower the suspension, but I did run super moto wheels. Never felt safe at highway speeds. Super sketchy actually

5 hours ago, KTMXER said:

I didn’t lower the suspension, but I did run super moto wheels. Never felt safe at highway speeds. Super sketchy actually

balanced and damper ?

balanced and damper ?

Yes. It’s just the rake of the bike. My Ducati Hyperstrada. Is an up right bike as well. Same kind of twitchy handling.

5 hours ago, KTMXER said:

I hit potholes at 85, 90 mph all the time, I luv that stuff , the bike eats it up. However I assure you I would NOT do it on an out of the dealer bike set up , as its pretty bad. That set up will throw you off the bike before hitting 80 mph on smooth road.

Even, post 100, to 110 mph(its smooth 2 finger control),  its as stable as my v4 sport bike, only difference, the ktm is much better if the road is rough at the same time.

otherwise its all in the set up, and I don't even run steering stabilizer. Im just saying whats possible, and doesnt mean all setups are as stable from bike to bike.

Now running 75 or 80mph offroad, and Im not talking a smooth fire road, but an actual rough trail, that requires focus, but the bike is stable, to me, but it doesn't come that way.

I hit potholes at 85, 90 mph all the time, I luv that stuff , the bike eats it up. However I assure you I would NOT do it on an out of the dealer bike set up , as its pretty bad. That set up will throw you off the bike before hitting 80 mph on smooth road.
Even, post 100, to 110 mph(its smooth 2 finger control),  its as stable as my v4 sport bike, only difference, the ktm is much better if the road is rough at the same time.
otherwise its all in the set up, and I don't even run steering stabilizer. Im just saying whats possible, and doesnt mean all setups are as stable from bike to bike.
Now running 75 or 80mph offroad, and Im not talking a smooth fire road, but an actual rough trail, that requires focus, but the bike is stable, to me, but it doesn't come that way.

That’s impressive. I pretty much left my off road set up, which was dialed. But when I put super moto wheels on it it spooked me at speed. Any kind of quick steering input put me in a speed wobble. My bike at speed on pavement was a death wish. Yet on dirt it was as smooth as a babies ass.

15 minutes ago, KTMXER said:

That’s impressive. I pretty much left my off road set up, which was dialed. But when I put super moto wheels on it it spooked me at speed. Any kind of quick steering input put me in a speed wobble. My bike at speed on pavement was a death wish. Yet on dirt it was as smooth as a babies ass.

If you think about the difference between an 21/18 wheel set up, verses a 17/17inch wheel set up, that severely steepens the head angle of the bike. Probably good for a go kart track.

But 100 mph pot holes, I'll stick with the 21/18

If you think about the difference between an 21/18 wheel set up, verses a 17/17inch wheel set up, that severely steepens the head angle of the bike. Probably good for a go kart track.

That’s a great point. I never thought about that.
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Spud786 said:

17’s are better for the road or road racing and we put steeper 13mm triple trees on dirt bikes. It puts more weight on the front wheel for better traction in the turns. My built WR450 Supermoto is very stable up to about 95 mph after that we put a street steering stabilizer on it and it’s good for over 100 mph. 

Whats squirrelly is a heavy street bike over bumps in the canyons we ride. The supermotos clean house in the tight stuff especially when the road gets rough. However the suspension is set up different than dirt bikes. 

Im sure a 500 can be set up to work. However I must admit when I took mine on the freeway with the stock tires it was scarey. 😳

• Like 1

Mine stock , had metzler 6 days tires  , riding from the dealer even though a couple ounces on each tire, it was pretty bad.   I thought the 6 days front was pretty good on the street, felt like the tires had little fingers in the corners(and they heald well, For a full knobbie I was impressed, but the 1800 mile life sucked, not too mention the 900 mile rear.

I recall suspension wise , road cracks aggravated the stock set up, at higher speeds, but the beginning issue was fully balancing the tires, that was the only way to hit 80 mph and still be on the bike. >G

So anyone, whos taken a bike off the dealer floor, and ridden it at interstate speeds, I bets its scarey, I took back roads home and stability was not great. above 55

• Like 2