Zac Speed Roost guard and backpack

Was internet introduced to the Zac Speed line of packs, this is an Australian produced product that has peaked my interest and looking for reviews from users. They have three different sizes in their lineup but I am mainly interested in the two smallest; the Sprint and the Recon as it would be used for trail riding as the primary use. The Sprint looks nice and compact but may be lacking in carrying capacity - it's hard to tell from looking at the vids and descriptions. I think I need to get weight off my lower back due to having spinal stenosis, so am thinking of going back to a backpack and maybe a front fender pack. Only other concern is if a fender pack is really secure?

Would really appreciate any user knowledge along with concerns or ideas.

Tom

This is the review that made me try one

I have the sprint and really like it.  The additional side straps do an excellent job distributing the weight and keeping it from flopping/bouncing around.  It feels very secure and comfortable even with 3 liters of water in it.

5 hours ago, mtdirtbag said:

Was internet introduced to the Zac Speed line of packs, this is an Australian produced product that has peaked my interest and looking for reviews from users. They have three different sizes in their lineup but I am mainly interested in the two smallest; the Sprint and the Recon as it would be used for trail riding as the primary use. The Sprint looks nice and compact but may be lacking in carrying capacity - it's hard to tell from looking at the vids and descriptions. I think I need to get weight off my lower back due to having spinal stenosis, so am thinking of going back to a backpack and maybe a front fender pack. Only other concern is if a fender pack is really secure?

Would really appreciate any user knowledge along with concerns or ideas.

Tom

I have a bad back and use a fender bag from a college prof in Gunnison CO. He is a regular on KTMTalk and his bags are very secure and will never wear out. I think his name is Dan, just ask a question over there and someone will provide contact info. My bag is over ten years old, rear fender model. Google DirtBags.com, that might work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

I have a bad back and use a fender bag from a college prof in Gunnison CO. He is a regular on KTMTalk and his bags are very secure and will never wear out. I think his name is Dan, just ask a question over there and someone will provide contact info. My bag is over ten years old, rear fender model. Google DirtBags.com, that might work.

+1 here, Dans packs are the very best. I have a few over 10 years old that are being used every ride. The front fender packs stay rock solid.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mtdirtbag said:

Found it! dirt-bike-gear.com in Gunnison, I'll check into them - appreciate the help.

Here is some of his stuff mounted:

This is actually a number plate bag repurposed on my 300.

IMG_2483_zpsesaq2dzs.jpg.cbe7e37a20a1fded01a651c22e8a3371.jpg

The fender bag straps mount to the forks very secure. This is the new style. It's curved with 2 compartments. It's a tight fit but you can stuff a 21" tube, CO2 kit, and 2 small tire irons.

IMG_2480_zpsbitciqxe.jpg.849a65a8d6738a098a469b1867540f86.jpg

Edited by ballisticexchris

I have the original Zac Speed sp3 with chest protector and like it but it is heavy when loaded down. It does have a great connection system that holds it tight so it doesn't move around on your body when riding, I think it also helps reduce the feeling of the weight. But, if you are looking to unload the weight from your body I think the fender bag is the way to go and the dirt bike gear stuff is very nice.

Kennedy

front.jpeg

back.jpeg

12 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

Where is Zac Speed available and can the chest/back protector be purchased without the pack?

Rocky Mountain; but the back portion is within the pack set-up - plus for what you pay for the protector you can purchase a dedicated chest protector.

53 minutes ago, hollywood_72 said:

I have the original Zac Speed sp3 with chest protector and like it but it is heavy when loaded down. It does have a great connection system that holds it tight so it doesn't move around on your body when riding, I think it also helps reduce the feeling of the weight. But, if you are looking to unload the weight from your body I think the fender bag is the way to go and the dirt bike gear stuff is very nice.

Kennedy; thanks for the insight. A fender bag will most likely be the way I go for the heavier items but I will still need storage as most of our rides are from 4 to 6 hours and I would like to keep things at a minimum on my lumbar region of my back as that is where the narrowing is taking place. Just think of it as one of the perks of the golden age!

2 hours ago, randysoo said:

I like that zac speed combo. But I can't find it with the shoulder guards like in the picture above. I checked rocky mtn.

If you are talking about the pictures I posted, the shoulder guards come on the chest protector. I'm not sure if they still come with the bicep protectors but I took mine off and don't use them:

https://zacspeed.com/product/exotec/

Here is a link to Rocky Mountain with the back pack/chest protector combo (For the price I would go with the Dakar and get the extra space if you ever needed it):

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/2326/Roost-Deflectors?b=Zac-Speed

Kennedy

Edited by hollywood_72

On 11/14/2017 at 11:16 AM, hollywood_72 said:

If you are talking about the pictures I posted, the shoulder guards come on the chest protector. I'm not sure if they still come with the bicep protectors but I took mine off and don't use them:

https://zacspeed.com/product/exotec/

Here is a link to Rocky Mountain with the back pack/chest protector combo (For the price I would go with the Dakar and get the extra space if you ever needed it):

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t/2326/Roost-Deflectors?b=Zac-Speed

Kennedy

The shoulder guards have been gone for years, I too have one of the originals, second generation I think, no shoulders and they dont make them anymore.

I use these and really like them.

https://kriega.us/us5