1997kx250 or 1998cr250

nooooooo dont get the kx - the 97 has one off engine parts that you will never find

Neither of those bikes are going to set the world on fire 20 years after they were built. I’m not sure what you intend to use them for but they were made for mx and neither would be that great now unless you could get help from FMF and Pabst...seriously though you should try to get something newer with better parts availability.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dklassen said:

Did you see these on craigslist or something Ethan?If so how much for each?

Edited by Dane Richardson

15 hours ago, Dane Richardson said:

Did you see these on craigslist or something Ethan?If so how much for each?

they kx is for $2500 but has a bunch of stuff done to it, the cr is for $1200 

8 hours ago, Ethan Seyler said:

Does the kx have a fresh rebuild or something?And does the cr have any work done recently?I would personally get the cr but that's my opinion cause I'm a fan of honda

12 hours ago, Ethan Seyler said:

That’s too much to pay for a 20 yr old bike. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dklassen said:

That’s too much to pay for a 20 yr old bike. 

Yea,I paid $500 for my 1997 cr250 and it was in excellent shape and still is,you just need to keep looking everyday for that perfect bike!

Are you going to ride trails/offroad or motocross?  

If offroad, I'd rather have the 97 KX250.  I had one of those, great motors.  I had the suspension revalved, put on a flywheel weight, larger tank, and it was a great offroad race bike.  I don't like the stiff CR aluminum frames offroad.  

But ... $2500!  That's a crazy price.  Not sure where you live, but in my area they are more like $1500-$1800.

• Like 1

Like mentioned; it all decides what your expectation is from a bike.

yes both bikes are getting older but unless you know what the more modern bikes ride like, you wouldn't know that the CR frame is more stiff etc etc.

i know it may sound funny, but hey Ronnie Mac runs the 97-99 cr250 generation and is a great rider concidering he acts like a hooligan.  

As for parts for either bike, they are still available to find, but it's getting harder to find.  As for power they both have plenty for an average rider.

id go with the 98 CR since it uses basically the same engine from 92-01.  Then if you wish you could always throw that engine in a gen 2 cr250 frame later with relative ease.  Then you wouldn't have an as stiff of frame.

good luck.

I purchased my 97 KX250 i still have it  , my buddy has a 97 cr 250 I was always seem faster on his , but I love green! anyway agreed I would not pay that much for one! not even if it had no hours on it..  2500 can buy a nice 4 stroke.   I have been looking at used bikes everything is beat once in a while you will see one that has low hours  in clean condition