WR450F Sumo conversation

As the title states I’m about to convert my 2017 WR450 into a Sumo.

before I start ordering my wheel set could someone please give me some help in regards to rear wheel/tyre size.

Im going with a 4.25”,I think a 5” with be to much. Also think that I won’t be able to run anything bigger than a 150 section tyre as the swing arm seems rather narrow compared to the KTM’s and Bergs’s Iv raced many years back,I was running a 5” wheel with 160 tyres on these.

Anyone who has a WR which can comment on tire sizes and wheel sizes and chain clearance on the tires your comments will be appreciated.

As the title states I’m about to convert my 2017 WR450 into a Sumo.

before I start ordering my wheel set could someone please give me some help in regards to rear wheel/tyre size.

Im going with a 4.25”,I think a 5” with be to much. Also think that I won’t be able to run anything bigger than a 150 section tyre as the swing arm seems rather narrow compared to the KTM’s and Bergs’s Iv raced many years back,I was running a 5” wheel with 160 tyres on these.

Anyone who has a WR which can comment on tire sizes and wheel sizes and chain clearance on the tires your comments will be appreciated.

hi 5 inches too wide. with the smallest 160 will push the chain at least 1/2 inch aside. The speed gauge can be removed without getting the wrong codes. However, you must replace it with a distance of approximately 11 mm. I drive with 4.5 rim 150 tire.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bezerk72 said:

hi 5 inches too wide. with the smallest 160 will push the chain at least 1/2 inch aside. The speed gauge can be removed without getting the wrong codes. However, you must replace it with a distance of approximately 11 mm. I drive with 4.5 rim 150 tire.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on this👍

What brake set up are you running upfront? The deal iv been quoted on for the wheels includes a Motomaster 320mm floating disk! From past experience 320’s are a headache,I used to have one fitted to my old race sumo along with a 6 pot Beringer calliper and to remove the wheel I used to have to undo the brake disk off the hub to get enough clearance to remove the caliper,I swapped to a 310mm which made the job of removing the front wheel a doddle! 

Im just planning on putting a braided line on the front and rear brakes and see how that goes for the time been,I think a 6 pot Beringer will be over kill for road use and the odd hill climb.

Edited by Qball1982