Factory Edition Engines

Someone recently told me the piston (compression), the cam height and duration, and the ECU mapping on the Factory Edition bikes is different than the regular models of KTM. I can't find a delta on the parts microfiche when looking at OEM part numbers. Does anyone know for a fact, not speculating... that there is a difference other than the obvious cosmetic differences. 

Please be a dealer tech or someone that has rebuilt one these motors on the newer 16/17 FE bikes before responding and filling the thread with opinions without data to back it up? 

I'm trying to determine how careful I need to be in ordering parts for my 16.5 when I do the topend this spring.

Thanks

Edited by Chris Campbell

yeah, that is my understanding, but in having issues with getting a vortex running right with a tuner... i was lead to think that it was possible that they are unique. OEM part numbers agree, my 16.5 has the same components as a 17. Just wanted to toss out the theory and see if anyone could say otherwise.

thanks

It's not the same, can't get any aftermarket ECU maps to not dump 3x the fuel on the FE bike. Stuck with stock ECU now and using TPS tuning to try bring up the mix from too lean on the stock one. Can't find much supporting data, but the dealer tech and my experience leads me to believe the 16.5 and 17 motors are not the same.

It's not the same, can't get any aftermarket ECU maps to not dump 3x the fuel on the FE bike. Stuck with stock ECU now and using TPS tuning to try bring up the mix from too lean on the stock one. Can't find much supporting data, but the dealer tech and my experience leads me to believe the 16.5 and 17 motors are not the same.

Sounds like you have a tuner issue. Halfbyear models are the same. Parts swap out. Engine part numbers are the same. There may be different mapping but it’s not going to make the bike run bad. 3x fuel....it’s a 250, 350, or 450. If you throw 3x more fuel at an engine you will also need more air. Does the factory edition use the same intake?

Yes it does.

Send your ecu to a reputable place. Tokyo mods did mine and they did great.

Hard to argue with that. PR2 Racing did this, everyone seems to rave about this ecu tune, except guys with fe bikes. Since it's a snowbike map I'm not sure Tokyo will be that helpful, but I'll call them. 

Thx