1985 XL600/XR600 Valve cover compatibility

Hello! I'm new here writing, but I have being lurking from long time ago. I'm from Chile, South America, and I have a klr650 who has been my travel ticket to everywhere, including the USA some years ago. 

Now I'm restoring a weird XL600LM version, called Pharaoh, is exactly the same as the LM but with different colours. That bike uses the same engine than the 1985 XR600.

Now It's almost ready, but it didn't start, so I take it to a friend who restore old bikes. Together we find out that the valve cover, that I bought in eBay from the US, and shipped to Chile (because the original one was crap), was from a 1985 XL600, not from a 1985 XR600, as the seller stated in his add. I installed it but the bike never started. 

I'm trying to find out if that XL600 valve cover will work in the XR600 engine, So I don't have to buy and spend again. 

I still have the old valve cover. 

Can anybody help me with information? Maybe I'm not totally screwed?

Thanks very much and sorry if my English is not good

IMG_4357.JPG

IMG_4920.JPG

As far as I know the covers should be the same except color. What exactly is the difference between the two covers. I know that the later to current covers use one wider rocker arm but that is all that is different.

2 hours ago, mcma111 said:

As far as I know the covers should be the same except color. What exactly is the difference between the two covers. I know that the later to current covers use one wider rocker arm but that is all that is different.

I notice in the parts diagram some differences, like the XL600 one uses some 12mm wave washers and the XR600 one doesn't. My biggest concern is that maybe the rocker arms are different or maybe they have different angles or actuation

in the xl diagram - it has 2 valve lifters - xr diagram only has 1 valve lifter :excuseme:

xr.png

xl.png

1 hour ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

in the xl diagram - it has 2 valve lifters - xr diagram only has 1 valve lifter :excuseme:

xr.png

xl.png

Oh ok, maybe I explained myself wrong. My concerns are not about the cover itself, it's about the inside of the valve cover, the rocker arms. 

Thanks for the diagrams, at least at the outside are almost the same

The XL600 has the fifth valve that opens onto the chamber at the left rear of the head. The XR600 does not have the fifth valve. Other than this the rocker cover should work. The fifth valve is activated by the cable from the kicker assy. Everyone that I knew that had a XL600 removed this cable and threw them away thus only using the handle bar decom lever.

1 hour ago, mcma111 said:

The XL600 has the fifth valve that opens onto the chamber at the left rear of the head. The XR600 does not have the fifth valve. Other than this the rocker cover should work. The fifth valve is activated by the cable from the kicker assy. Everyone that I knew that had a XL600 removed this cable and threw them away thus only using the handle bar decom lever.

Excellent! Thanks very much!

What is difference between the rocker arms? Unless the seller sent you a later rocker cover that does have different rocker arms/positions

Edited by mcma111

i want to buy that XL600LM i pay a Gazillion Dollars and a Kidney :)

price in negotiable

Regards

Oupoot

On 13/11/2017 at 8:47 PM, mcma111 said:

What is difference between the rocker arms? Unless the seller sent you a later rocker cover that does have different rocker arms/positions

I went to my friend's shop and I compared both covers. Look very similar but different

IMG_20171114_160431877.jpg

20 hours ago, Oupoot said:

i want to buy that XL600LM i pay a Gazillion Dollars and a Kidney :)

price in negotiable

Regards

Oupoot

Actually I have to sell it after I'm done with it, if you are really interested and you know how, I can help with the shipping... Or you can fly here and ride it home... The price will be way lower than a gazillion dollars, and despite that the kidney offer sounds tempting (my kidneys make stones), I thing shipping will ruin it. 

3 hours ago, Zaplaje said:

Actually I have to sell it after I'm done with it, if you are really interested and you know how, I can help with the shipping... Or you can fly here and ride it home... The price will be way lower than a gazillion dollars, and despite that the kidney offer sounds tempting (my kidneys make stones), I thing shipping will ruin it. 

just for interest sake what is the market value for this LM version i have no idea but it has to be priceless!! i am from south africa and damm Honda did not sell them here so what would the value be?

On the red cover I don't see either of the valve/decom actuators.

6 hours ago, Oupoot said:

just for interest sake what is the market value for this LM version i have no idea but it has to be priceless!! i am from south africa and damm Honda did not sell them here so what would the value be?

The official model name is XL600R Pharaoh and it was for sale only in Japan, only 200 was made. Here in Chile the market for this kind of bikes is not very good, so I will try to sell it here for $4000 USD

Put the bearings on the cam and place it in the rocker cover to check if the rocker arms line up with the cam lobes