Brought home another bike

Never had one growing up but i wanted one bad. When I was 12 this was the bike to have. The 1983 yz80. I told myselfif I ever see a 82-84 yz80 thats not to trashed or over priced im buying it.  Well one finally came up for sale on Craigslist that fit the billl. The plan for this bike is a pit bike for me and the wife. I thought maybe she could ride the 80 while im on one of my ITs. The bike needs some work of course but but is all there and runs fairly good. The carb was gummed up and needed to be cleaned. The air is old and crumbling and needs to be replaced. The seat cover is blue and needs to be replaced,  i ordered a black one off eBay so its on the way. The rear wheel bearings, tire and brake shoes need to be replaced also. I think the bike is good candidate for a partial restoration,  not a make it new but a runner.

20171113_074350.jpg

20171113_074435.jpg

• Like 3

as a kid, I wanted this bike bad... 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DEMI said:

as a kid, I wanted this bike bad... 

Yep ,so did I. Funny story I came home from school one day and a new 83 yz80 was sitting next to our front door. It was the happiest day of my life, i got the bike ive been drooling over and wanted so bad. But sadly my new found joy was short lived when my sisters boy friend came out the door and told me to get off his bike. Man was I heart broken. 2 years later I did get a yz, a yz125 that is. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

Yep ,so did I. Funny story I came home from school one day and a new 83 yz80 was sitting next to our front door. It was the happiest day of my life, i got the bike ive been drooling over and wanted so bad. But sadly my new found joy was short lived when my sisters boy friend came out the door and told me to get off his bike. Man was I heart broken. 2 years later I did get a yz, a yz125 that is. 

Good story! I still remember like yesterday, the YZ80 at Mike's Yamaha in Barneveld, NY... the smells, the coolness, sights and that bike. I was lucky to have bikes up til around 84, then things clicked from there. But that damn 80 still holds my fondness.

• Like 1

Looks like it time for a motor rebuild. Pulled the flywheel cover off and could feel some slop on the main bearing,  oh well at least the bike will have a fresh motor again. 

• Like 1

Another YZ80 story:  Back around 79 or 80 a friend of mine had a brand new YZ80 that his father bought him and we were riding in an area with some trails through the woods and also had a dirt road with some large dirt piles to prevent automobiles from coming through. I was riding my JT1 mini enduro 60 so needless to say my buddy was a lot faster than I was on the road but he just wasn't experienced in trail riding and I could run with him on the trails. Well he decided he was going to prove himself by out jumping me on those big dirt piles which I wasn't about to try. After doing a couple of test runs like Evel used to do he tried to jump those huge mounds. He was way up in the air with the throttle open and came down hard on the rear wheel and his leg, he went down hard. I walked over to check on him and one of his lower legs was hurting pretty bad, he figured that it was broken. He told me to ride to his house and get his dad so I was getting ready to jump on my 60 and do so then he said take my bike its faster. I didn't hesitate, I jumped on that YZ and fired it up and took off. Holy cow that bike had some power it was the first real race bike that I had ever ridden, the front end just seemed to float in the air. I received 3 miles of thrills to get to his house and parked the bike to get his dad, his dad was pissed, we jumped in his truck to go pick up his son and on the way he was bitching about that bike. I was really hoping he would offer to give it to me or sell it to me really cheap but it never happened. My buddy went to the hospital and his bike went into the classifieds. I'll never forget the thrill of riding that thing, its just a shame my friend had to break a leg for me to ride it.

Have fun with your new pit bike, I wouldn't mind finding one myself but I'd have to sell a bike to do so.

• Like 2