Rebeljah

Difficult to start bike in colder weather / first start of the day

3 posts in this topic

Hi all! I have a 2006 S with about 16,000 miles on it. the problem I'm having is that whenever I try to start it in the morning (night time lows at about 55 F) it will take 4-5 cranks of the starter to get it running. It will usually idle very low then immediately die after after the 2nd or 3rd attempt. Giving it gas seems to make it worse, choke seems to make it worse. I will use the choke to warm it up once I get it going but it dies with the choke on untill it is partially warmed up.

1028171557_HDR_2.jpg

Edited by Rebeljah

Have you checked your valve clearances?  Tight valves can make cold starting more difficult.

Your possibly very lean (partially plugged pilot or simply too small jet) and the "choke" on the Mikuni is really just an enrichment circuit that adds more air along with fuel so can make it worse if the fuel isn't flowing correctly . Besides verifying valve clearances , which would've been showing up over a period of time as it got worse and worse, if this issue just showed up it's likely not valves unless there is something bad going fast .