17 Sherco 250 Se-r vs 17 Ktm 250 Xc-w?

Any one can compare between the 2? Handling, suspension, reliability and quality wise?

The Sherco is a terrific machine. WE recently converted a LONGGG time KTM owner to a Sherco and he loves it. We have been a Sherco dealer for about 1.5 years and sold several with no failures. At the recent Moose run 2 of our riders did very well. One guy won the vet a classs and placed 8th overall and another guy was 3rd or 4th in the A class. Nick Fahringer  seized his while leading the race but it was cold and probably should have been jetted larger for the weather. To sum up, all of your KTM friends will be severely jealous if you purchase a Sherco.

ShercoRight.jpg

How is the 2018 Sherco 300 SEF-R ?

KTMs seem to have long time periods between top-ends. How does the Sherco 4Ts compare?

Which WP suspension option would you use for moderate and rocky Arizona trails?

Edited by AZRickD
On 12/7/2017 at 8:28 AM, cycletech1 said:

The Sherco is a terrific machine. WE recently converted a LONGGG time KTM owner to a Sherco and he loves it. We have been a Sherco dealer for about 1.5 years and sold several with no failures. At the recent Moose run 2 of our riders did very well. One guy won the vet a classs and placed 8th overall and another guy was 3rd or 4th in the A class. Nick Fahringer  seized his while leading the race but it was cold and probably should have been jetted larger for the weather. To sum up, all of your KTM friends will be severely jealous if you purchase a Sherco.

ShercoRight.jpg

Is the powervalve adjustable? Thanks.

No it isn't

The power valve is electronic. 

Is there a tuner tool available to adjust the PV ?

On 12/23/2017 at 0:48 PM, AZRickD said:

The power valve is electronic. 

Is there a tuner tool available to adjust the PV ?

The power valve is controlled by the switch on the handlebars. There are hard and soft maps available. It is not adjustable, not needed IMO.

The map switch controls PV and ignition timing — in tandem. Either a soft setting or a hot setting. Nothing in between.

While some might enjoy the electric feeling of the Sherco (as they would the Gas Gas) others like to mess with stuff. 

Edited by AZRickD

I have the 2017 300 2-stroke, and it's magical. The ignition map switch actually works, and with the stock jetting be on the nose, the bike goes from mild to wild with the flick of your right thumb.

The suspension works much better than the KTM as well, and steers more like a Japanese MX bike (my last was a YZ250). You won't regret it...

I have the 2017 300 2-stroke, and it's magical. The ignition map switch actually works, and with the stock jetting be on the nose, the bike goes from mild to wild with the flick of your right thumb.
The suspension works much better than the KTM as well, and steers more like a Japanese MX bike (my last was a YZ250). You won't regret it...

I just bought mine today! Im excited. I just keep hearing good things about shercos. My only concern was the lack of kickstarter.

I just bought mine today! Im excited. I just keep hearing good things about shercos. My only concern was the lack of kickstarter.

They start super easy, and have a massive stator output so the chance of draining the battery is pretty remote...Just make sure it's jetted properly (per the manual) and you'll be golden

They start super easy, and have a massive stator output so the chance of draining the battery is pretty remote...Just make sure it's jetted properly (per the manual) and you'll be golden

How reliable are these bikes in general in comparison to ktm/husky?

They are super reliable. I have yet to see a single post about a Sherco engine failure, two or four stroke. There were some starter failures on the 300 two strokes, mainly on 2014-2016 models, but were covered by warranty.
For pure Sherco pron, you can hit up their forum.
Not to bad mouth other manufacturers, but people usually go one direction...everything -> Sherco
16 hours ago, RaynerMatar94 said:

Keep us updated with it. I am very old school and the kicker is my only issue since I ride alone a lot in areas where push starting is impossible.

8 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

Keep us updated with it. I am very old school and the kicker is my only issue since I ride alone a lot in areas where push starting is impossible.

I have a 2014 Sherco with 110 hrs. on it. I ride solo a lot lately. The electric start has been 100% reliable for me and makes life much easier on the trails.

The newer cintage Sherco 4Ts (300SEF, for example) haven’t been around long enough to tally a lot of hours. Of the ones I have had owners discuss on the web, most are into the low 100-hours mark with no problem.

Not enough data points, but I might find myself getting the impression that the Sherco valves could require a smidge more adjustment than the Rock-Solid KTM valves that typically show zero or scant movement even as they get into they low to high 100-hour mark. 

My issue is that I will be keeping my next bike for years. I’ll have two bikes (including my Gasser as a rock bike) so they hour meter will climb slowly. And whatever 4T I get will be relativley babied. 

Edited by AZRickD

The OP was asking about 2 stroke bikes...

I rode my sherco today and it is amazing! I cant describe how well the bike handles. I just felt confortable in 5 minutes, i rode it back to back to my very well setup 16' TE 250 and the husky felt like a tank in comparison, im in love with it. Suspension is good, the rear need a little adjustment though. The map switch is like others have said, like having two bikes in one.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:49 PM, jamracing said:

Yes this is true however the pre-2018 models have had starter issues that suddenly stopped working. 2018 redesign may have fixed this but too early to tell. It is posted that the 2018 parts will fit the older models.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:53 PM, RaynerMatar94 said:

2t they are on par, both have issues that will pop up here and there.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:06 PM, jamracing said:

They are super reliable. I have yet to see a single post about a Sherco engine failure, two or four stroke. There were some starter failures on the 300 two strokes, mainly on 2014-2016 2017 models, but were covered by warranty some several times.
For pure Sherco pron, you can hit up their forum.
Not to bad mouth other manufacturers, but people usually go one direction...everything -> Sherco

Need to get out some. 4t's have had piston/rings go out below 100 hrs as well as the centrifugal coming off the crank. 4t regulators failing sooner then most other brands. There's a couple of 2t PV stopped working or falls out of adjustments. Many estart issues. Coolant "T" fitting breaks and leaves you stranded. 2018 models they upgraded to a metal one finally. This should be used on the older models or get the silicone hose kit. Overall Sherco's are still too young to be considered real reliable. Based on my experience (4t) they are not be as durable as the competition.

I'm on the Sherco forum where the owners don't hold back (for better or worse), and other than the starter issue (which does not affect the 2017's from what I've seen) and a few regulators going south, I really don't see any major issues that show a pattern of poor engineering.
When I was looking into buying my first new bike in 15 years, I looked at things like reliability, technology, and how much I'd have to invest to make it right (for ktm, you need to toss the carb and revalve the suspension at a minimum).
The Sherco delivers on every level, without having to change a single thing, while costing less than the ktm.