17 Sherco 250 Se-r vs 17 Ktm 250 Xc-w?

Probably just have the stock head worked on. I believe RB designs took 2.5 cc's out of mine. It's really easy to do the clutch spring mod. Just try it and if the clutch slips for you just return it to stock.

On January 3, 2018 at 8:06 AM, weantright said:

I have one more year on my 2017 so I have some time. However most likely not a Sherco because I would like to get back to 200 hrs ownership vs. 120hrs. Also it would be easier to stay if a local dealer picks ups the line which is highly unlikely since most are KTM/Husqvarna and the brand doesn't fit or dislike of the importer from the Gas Gas fiasco.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why ur bike is supposedly roached at 120 hours? Do you sell bikes when they need the first top end? 

You say other brands rings lasted much longer, did you measure the gap at 120 hours vs 200 on the other brand?

2 hours ago, Creature-Sauce said:

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why ur bike is supposedly roached at 120 hours? Do you sell bikes when they need the first top end? 

You say other brands rings lasted much longer, did you measure the gap at 120 hours vs 200 on the other brand?

Never said my bikes are roached. I sell them at 200 hrs. because they are still worth $$ AND not a problem for the next owner. I might be in the minority here, when I sell something I try my best to give the buyer an item that doesn't blow up. I like not to hear from the buyer after the sale other then how nice the product is. No I don't do top ends why?? I never had to up until my 2014 Sherco. Last time I did a top end was back in early 90's when I was racing heavily. Since then all my bikes never gave me a concern of life up to the 200 hrs. mark but the Sherco. Hoping my 2017 is different but right now it's too early to tell.

No need to measure the rings gap if you are blowing oil out the breather and low compression. Maybe you haven't caught on but my other bike I never had a reason to measure anything inside the motor other then valve clearance. Sherco's do handle really well but in 2018 not by any real margin like my 2014 did. They also 4t side gained about 9 lbs which moves them out of class leading light weight, that was very appealing.

I glad you love you're Sherco.

33 minutes ago, weantright said:

Never said my bikes are roached. I sell them at 200 hrs. because they are still worth $$ AND not a problem for the next owner. I might be in the minority here, when I sell something I try my best to give the buyer an item that doesn't blow up. I like not to hear from the buyer after the sale other then how nice the product is. No I don't do top ends why?? I never had to up until my 2014 Sherco. Last time I did a top end was back in early 90's when I was racing heavily. Since then all my bikes never gave me a concern of life up to the 200 hrs. mark but the Sherco. Hoping my 2017 is different but right now it's too early to tell.

No need to measure the rings gap if you are blowing oil out the breather and low compression. Maybe you haven't caught on but my other bike I never had a reason to measure anything inside the motor other then valve clearance. Sherco's do handle really well but in 2018 not by any real margin like my 2014 did. They also 4t side gained about 9 lbs which moves them out of class leading light weight, that was very appealing.

I glad you love you're Sherco.

I'm sure the next buyer is very grateful for that 200 hour piston lol. Ok, so you didn't measure gap but say comp was lower what did it test at? What was the comp of your 200 hour bike? Did u do a wet or dry test? I'm curious, what is the reason you speculate the piston and rings wear out sooner?  

I think you see the point I'm getting at is that it is kind of hard to claim that shercos wear out quick when you have nothing tangible to compare... 

If you want light weight go buy a new ktm with air forks and see if it goes 200 hours without touching anything lol :thumbsup:

Edited by Creature-Sauce
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Creature-Sauce said:

Ok so you didn't measure gap but say comp was lower what did it test at? What was the comp of your 200 hour bike? Did u do a wet or dry test? I'm curious, what is the reason you speculate the piston and rings wear out sooner?  

I think you see the point I'm getting at is that it is kind of hard to claim that shercos wear out quick when you have nothing tangible to compare... 

If you want light weight go buy a new ktm with air forks and see if it goes 200 hours without touching anything lol :thumbsup:

You have no point. You Like Sherco and it appears you will not grasp any issues with the brand. One very big tangible item (if you want to believe in it) is,,,, Sherco I had to break open the motor. Well I didn't Sherco USA did and found rings, centrifugal and a seal gone. This was before the 100 hrs mark. There has been several others with these same issues as well as regulator and water pump seals. Every other ride the 2014 needs a repair while all other bikes in the group are gas and go.Then there's the 2013 bikes which have their own list of issues. These are for the 4t,,, would you like the 2t list??

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, weantright said:

You have no point. You Like Sherco and it appears you will not grasp any issues with the brand. One very big tangible item (if you want to believe in it) is,,,, Sherco I had to break open the motor. Well I didn't Sherco USA did and found rings, centrifugal and a seal gone. This was before the 100 hrs mark. There has been several others with these same issues as well as regulator and water pump seals. Every other ride the 2014 needs a repair while all other bikes in the group are gas and go.Then there's the 2013 bikes which have their own list of issues. These are for the 4t,,, would you like the 2t list??

Yes I would like the 2t list. Don't get miffy about being questioned, you are the one putting yourself out there. What bike are you comparing the 300f to?

Didnt sherco USA go to bat for you and take care of your crank repair even though the bike had all those hours? 

Edited by Creature-Sauce
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Creature-Sauce said:

Yes I would like the 2t list. Don't get miffy about being questioned, you are the one putting yourself out there. What bike are you comparing the 300f to?

Didnt sherco USA go to bat for you and take care of your crank repair even though the bike had all those hours? 

Comparing to several bikes of my past and in the riding group but that’s not going to be good enough for you. We can take this offline if you really want to know more. As for Sherco USA, Yes he did but it was so I wouldn’t buy a motor off of his ex partner. And his cost was two hrs of labor from his mechanic. The fact mine broke as well as others says something about longevity of the motor. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, weantright said:

Comparing to several bikes of my past and in the riding group but that’s not going to be good enough for you. We can take this offline if you really want to know more. As for Sherco USA, Yes he did but it was so I wouldn’t buy a motor off of his ex partner. And his cost was two hrs of labor from his mechanic. The fact mine broke as well as others says something about longevity of the motor. 

Where is my 2 stroke list? Don't want to talk about it online anymore? That's too bad we were just getting started... :lol:

Edited by Creature-Sauce