YZ250X broken PV

Well I know this is not the first time this has happened.  I remember seeing a thread yrs ago with the same issue on a yz250.  First for me though..

I was doing the top end on my bike this afternoon.  It has 90hrs on this top end and 190 total engine hrs.  Didn’t notice any valve fluttering or anything out of the ordinary last few rides.

Anybody know what causes this? 

Just looked and nobody seems to have a PV in stock for the X... I think it’s a different PN from the standard 250...  $120 bucks 

48748A62-32C6-435D-BF2F-85DDA112E57E.jpeg

• Like 1

Never seen a PV break there. It is usually the shaft. Just a question, would it still work with that piece missing? 

Probabaly rattle a bunch.

Those ears are the stops. They stop it from bottoming out in the port. Is the one on the other side still there?

If the other one is gone also it will bottom in the port and quickly wear its way in too far and possibly make contact with the piston.

Not sure what causes it, some say rapid deaceleration, like stabbing the brake in the air after a hard run up.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Kinger317 said:

Those ears are the stops. They stop it from bottoming out in the port. Is the one on the other side still there?

If the other one is gone also it will bottom in the port and quickly wear its way in too far and possibly make contact with the piston.

Not sure what causes it, some say rapid deaceleration, like stabbing the brake in the air after a hard run up.

Yep, that's what I was thinking after typing. 

• Like 1

You guys are comedians.  Nope no hard braking in the air for me.lol.  The bottom ear is fine though I’m getting a new PV as I don’t want to push luck running with one.  I guess I’ll go chill in the HF thread and wait for the part to come in..🧐

Edited by Nevada Al
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ride_Flip_Repeat said:

Just had an opportunity to buy a 16 that blew in a race for 3k in great shape besides the motor but it needed a complete rebuild and who knows about getting available parts.

Nice deal I think. I did notice that there is a 5-8 day shipping at RMATV for the PV, and the regular 250 is over 5 in stock.

12 hours ago, Nevada Al said:

You guys are comedians.  Nope no hard braking in the air for me.lol.  The bottom ear is fine though I’m getting a new PV as I don’t want to push luck running with one.  I guess I’ll go chill in the HF thread and wait for the part to come in..🧐

It is the place to be right now. Like a rehab clinic. 

The PV in my 02 YZ250 broke in the exact same way.  The other side of the broken collar was intact.  I noticed it when doing my top end a few weeks ago.  There were no ill effects or noises and it ran fine.  I just saw it when I took it apart and of course replaced it.  I have no idea what happened to the broken off part, I couldn't find it anywhere.  I also don't know how long it ran after it broke.  I can't complain, as far as I know it was the original part.   

• Like 1

Interesting, would love to know how many hours it ran after the one side broke. Maybe having at least one side in tact is enough to stop it as long as you check it from time to time. i'm sure there's others out there running around right now with only one side like yours.

24 minutes ago, Kinger317 said:

Interesting, would love to know how many hours it ran after the one side broke. Maybe having at least one side in tact is enough to stop it as long as you check it from time to time. i'm sure there's others out there running around right now with only one side like yours.

As far as mine goes as I mentioned it had 90hrs since last topend and it was fine then.. 190 hrs total on bike...lol. 

Funnny thing is everybody has the PV in stock for the Yz250... But nobody has one in stock for the X.   Are that many people converting yz250s over...  Seems strange the parts aren’t in stock after three years in production...lol.  We have a winter storm coming in this week so I guess it’s not a huge deal the bike is down just annoying.  Wanted to ride today dammit!,,,

Probably better to wait for the right one. If you have trouble getting one you might send rjpjnk a PM and ask him the difference between the two. I think the "X" PV only has .5 mm removed from the back surface angle.

8 minutes ago, Nevada Al said:

As far as mine goes as I mentioned it had 90hrs since last topend and it was fine then.. 190 hrs total on bike...lol. 

Funnny thing is everybody has the PV in stock for the Yz250... But nobody has one in stock for the X.   Are that many people converting yz250s over...  Seems strange the parts aren’t in stock after three years in production...lol.  We have a winter storm coming in this week so I guess it’s not a huge deal the bike is down just annoying.  Wanted to ride today dammit!,,,

Confucius say, "Man with only one bike, have down time when bike broken." 

I know, not everyone needs two, or three, or... Forget it, I refuse to say. 

Yah, I was looking into that, and it is odd, the bike has been around three and nobody stocks. I would have thought motosport or RMATV at least. 

• Like 3

Normally its the round piece on the end of the middle valve that breaks off.

But mine did break in the exact same place as yours and it was running fine when taken apart. These things are hell on that middle valve for some reason.

Just now, 2 STOKE YZ DOC said:

Confucius say, "Man with only one bike, have down time when bike broken." 

I know, not everyone needs two, or three, or... Forget it, I refuse to say. 

Yah, I was looking into that, and it is odd, the bike has been around three and nobody stocks. I would have thought motosport or RMATV at least. 

As chance has it I found an 05 for a steal today that needs a new crank... If the deal goes through I’ll rebuild convert it. Well,At least the tranny to the X for a practice bike by this spring.    I’ll be sure to take pics of the PVs side by side...   On a side note I sold my old totally rebuilt 05 awhile after I bought the X...  hitting myself in forehead right now..lol

• Like 1

Normally its the round piece on the end of the middle valve that breaks off.
But mine did break in the exact same place as yours and it was running fine when taken apart. These things are hell on that middle valve for some reason.

Is yours the X model?

On 11/13/2017 at 5:20 PM, Nevada Al said:

Well I know this is not the first time this has happened.  I remember seeing a thread yrs ago with the same issue on a yz250.  First for me though..

I was doing the top end on my bike this afternoon.  It has 90hrs on this top end and 190 total engine hrs.  Didn’t notice any valve fluttering or anything out of the ordinary last few rides.

Anybody know what causes this? 

Just looked and nobody seems to have a PV in stock for the X... I think it’s a different PN from the standard 250...  $120 bucks 

48748A62-32C6-435D-BF2F-85DDA112E57E.jpeg

10 hours ago, Kinger317 said:

Is yours the X model?

I guess you can't read.

Let me help with the bold, Hi Tim. :smirk: