Giving 1985 XR350 some wintertime love!

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and figured it was about time to join in on the action here at TT. Anyways, recently I decided to tear down my 1985 XR350 and give old berths some loving and refinement! I've been riding this bike a little over 2 years and have been piecing it together slower over time into a fun vintage rider. I race this bike once a year at desert100 in Odessa, WA and have definitely found some areas of like to improve! One of obvious issues with such an old bike is the suspension. I ordered up new fork springs from racetech according to their spring rate calculator as well as their gold valve emulator set. Hoping this will give huge improvement in the whoops out at dez100 this April. Also arriving in the mail soon is one of Lectrons new 4stroke carbs!!!! So stoked to try out a lectron finally and see if it smooths out the jerky power that the stock carb plagued me with! I'll keep updating as the work progresses20170904_133249.jpg.7c6a5935a00223c5848f271ba4c1b420.jpg

Here she is on my last ride

20171111_172601.jpg.14ade0c9a2f384cab847f265374acb7b.jpg

Tank and seat removed to take pictures and measurements for the guys at lectron

20171111_175921.jpg.9d9417837e2271414a88907d748dce91.jpg

Forks and handlebars gone!!!!

20171111_175927.thumb.jpg.9dff2949c8c48a084207759551636cf6.jpg

20171111_180718.thumb.jpg.53291d1fccb0dc6ace0a18a992aac5e8.jpg

Not sure but I don't think your fork oil should look like this. I think old Bertha was long overdue for some loving

20171111_153156.thumb.jpg.75afd0a7e771d668f2067d5a8d4e3531.jpg

Here's the stock carb. Can't wait to put the lectron in its place and see if it's smoother. The stock carb was unbelievably jerky and rough transitioning from idle circuit to midrange. I'm hoping the lectron smooths out the power and improves my fuel economy. 

Got some goodies in today! Felt like an early christmas!!

20171115_153301.jpg.713e63ac4465e3dc604aa06fc785d540.jpg

20171115_154916.jpg.6a5a3e14692ffa7222d806851c80766a.jpg

Got both forks disassembled and the dampening rods out. Time to weld up the rebound holes and drill out the compression holes.

20171115_155411.jpg.2599babe693961428e873c4dd204033a.jpg

Even got a harbour freight buffing wheel to polish up those old aluminum parts!

20171115_155420.thumb.jpg.3bc74efbc5b8f8d9e4a9b656baa602f4.jpg

These old forks are pretty tarnished.

Looks great! I always love seeing people give the old 350 another shot at life. Let me know how the carburetor works out for you and the suspension. I will be upgrading my front forks soon as well.

Looks like fun!

Yea it's been fun. I got the compression holes drilled out but I haven't gotten the dampening rods back from the welder yet. I tried polishing up the fork sliders but because of all the wear and tear and the cast aluminum it looked kinda funny. I ended up scuffing it up and spraying it with some aluminum colored paint and it looks a lot better. The fork caps and top triple clamp were however able to be polished! Just waiting for my welding guy and my lectron!!!

This is what I like to see. Keeping the old 350's up to par! I got a good month of riding to get in on mine and then it's time to over haul the old girl and go through it all. Your on the right track! Surprises the heck out of me when I'm at the riding parking lot and they come up and say "Is that a 350" And I smile and say yep the last year made a 1985! Single carb and a real mountain rock climber!

i have xr350 forks on my xr200........had bruce triplett fix them for 90 bucks......no need for racetech gold valve......bruce does awesomeness to them.....i had racetech do my 1986 cr forks and bruces feel just as good and easier to tune and way cheaper......with bruces mods all you do is add or subtract oil to get them to your liking where as racetech you need to mess around with the gold valve, have to remove the fork springs and go down and grab it with a wire pull it out then turn a nut on the gold valve and hope its what you want then install it all back together again and do it over and over again til you get it right.......lol

now i know why people dont like their racetech forks......takes too much effort to adjust them, and then i presume people give up and just deal with it......then say they suck

but im sure racetech forks can work just as good as bruces mods, but with bruces mods you just add or subtract oil, which is alot easier to do

yeah my forks were grungey looking too.....i spray painted them too.....they look awesome now......i went to walmart and bought that bronze color that looks like metal......gives them that works look from back in the 80's

did i mention bruce triplett did my forks......lol

they work so awesome......

......send pics when you get the forks done.....i have the black fork boots but they are starting to rot.....id like to see what the blue ones look like on it

i did the fat bar and rox riser too, i see you got the tusk riser......i have ktm bars on my xr200.....ktm is stamped on them and stares at me when im on the bike.....

keep going with the build..and send us pics...i cant wait to see the results !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have xr350 forks on my xr200........had bruce triplett fix them for 90 bucks......no need for racetech gold valve......bruce does awesomeness to them.....i had racetech do my 1986 cr forks and bruces feel just as good and easier to tune and way cheaper......with bruces mods all you do is add or subtract oil to get them to your liking where as racetech you need to mess around with the gold valve, have to remove the fork springs and go down and grab it with a wire pull it out then turn a nut on the gold valve and hope its what you want then install it all back together again and do it over and over again til you get it right.......lol
now i know why people dont like their racetech forks......takes too much effort to adjust them, and then i presume people give up and just deal with it......then say they suck
but im sure racetech forks can work just as good as bruces mods, but with bruces mods you just add or subtract oil, which is alot easier to do

Gold valves and valving emulators are two different things, and function very differently. Also adding and subtracting oil can be done with emulators just as easy. The ONLY thing that does is changes how progressive they will feel, and has next to zero effect on dampening.
14 hours ago, Wild Alaskan said:

Gold valves and valving emulators are two different things, and function very differently. Also adding and subtracting oil can be done with emulators just as easy. The ONLY thing that does is changes how progressive they will feel, and has next to zero effect on dampening.

bruces mods all you do is pick your oil weight and height to tune them.....

gold valves are more work is all i was saying.....

gold valves are great too tho.....im just cheap and lazy and took a gamble on bruces and it worked out for me.....

if bruce didnt exist id have to go with gold valves......my forks dont have compression or rebound dampening adjustment......honda was cheap in 1984

Anyone do a 18" rear and disc brake on a 85 ?  parked mine when the cam chain tensioner started slipping.

Edited by highmarker

Give us some updates brother man...

Hey sorry it's been a long and snowy winter here in Montana. Haven't had much time for testing. The lectron is installed, the suspension parts are installed. I was having some trouble with getting the bike started with the lectron early on but like I said, it's been cold around these parts so I haven't been able to do any proper testing. Aside from and inconsistent idle I can say that my ride around the block was good. The bike makes about the most smooth power you could ever ask for! I've got Dez100 coming up the beginning of April so I'm hoping the weather breaks in March and I can do a little riding. I'll post some pics and videos when that time comes