Helmet Choices?

I have a Shoei MX helmet that I've used with my dirt bike. Just got a dual sport and am going to use it on and off road (city, highway, dirt). Should I get a street helmet for my road only trips (e.g. Arai signet--best head fit)? Should I get a dual sport helmet (less good on the road but better at both?)? Should I get both? Both is expensive but I'll do it if it's the best idea. 

If your dual sport trips will include long hi-way stretches then a street helmet would be best, if not hi speed road use then a dual sport works best....... There is never one perfect solution.

16 minutes ago, pontoon said:

What about using an MX helmet for highway/off-road combo use? Is the MX helmet too bad on the highway?

Some can be, especially those with visors that were never intended to see sustained 70+ mph. It's not that it can be done... It can. Just not well suited. I run a dual sport helmet with a visor that is shorter and w/ a removable face shield if I choose to wear googles. I put on my Fly MX helmet one day after riding w/ the Arai for a bit and honestly, for dual sport, no comparison.

I can run this helmet no visor, with face shield (pure street), visor, no face shield w/ goggles (pure dirt), or what i normally do, with visor, face shield up, with sun glasses.

I wear an mx helmet for dual sport, no issues. I like the DS helmets but none of them I've looked at seem very goggle friendly. I think if you DS on street tires and just ride gravel and dirt roads they'd be great but if you ride trails and desert at the end of the roads, mx and goggles are the way to go.

I just got an AFX dual sport helmet which is pretty cheap and I know fits my head very well cause I  had an MX one. This way I don't buy two more expensive helmets. If I ride enough street only rides and the DS helmet annoys me, I'll get the Arai Signet. Thanks!

On 11/14/2017 at 0:34 PM, pontoon said:

What about using an MX helmet for highway/off-road combo use? Is the MX helmet too bad on the highway?

If you're a pussy, yeah.  Otherwise its fine.  

I ride interstate every day and I wouldn't be caught dead in anything other than moto helmet and motocross boots. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2017 at 11:50 PM, pontoon said:

I have a Shoei MX helmet that I've used with my dirt bike. Just got a dual sport and am going to use it on and off road (city, highway, dirt). Should I get a street helmet for my road only trips (e.g. Arai signet--best head fit)? Should I get a dual sport helmet (less good on the road but better at both?)? Should I get both? Both is expensive but I'll do it if it's the best idea. 

I run a Fly racing trekker. Love it, I have gone 90 with it on and very little visor lift, it is pretty vented. Also the helmet has front and rear vent openings you can close on a cold day. I can lift the clear visor and wear goggles if I chose without taking the visor off. I tested a couple of these style helmets and Fly is lighter but still the same safety ratings. I always rode mx/trials with a Bell helmet, always loved a bell. They did not make a Bell at the time I bought my Fly, might be another option. I have rode on the road with full on MX helmets and 70 mph seems to be a neck workout.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 2:03 PM, pontoon said:

I just got an AFX dual sport helmet which is pretty cheap and I know fits my head very well cause I  had an MX one. This way I don't buy two more expensive helmets. If I ride enough street only rides and the DS helmet annoys me, I'll get the Arai Signet. Thanks!

I've got the FX-41DS (and a 39DS) and I like it a lot. it's breezy as hell, but it's never really that cold here when we ride so it's kind of a bonus in the summer. very comfy, not terrible at speed.

I saw a modular DS helmet the other day but I can't find the derned thing again.

I was all ready to buy the Bell until I found out the vents don't close , I bought an Icon Variant.  This time of year a lot of gear goes on closeout for discontinued models to make room for the new. There are a lot of deals to be had by Googling what you want instead of searching individual vendors. Most black Friday sales and such are BS.

I ran a couple of the more budget minded DS helmets and they just never cut it. I was also more concerned about safety after a buddy got amnesia from a collision wearing a cheaper dot only Moto helmet. I now run the Shoei Hornet X2 and I'll never go back to a cheap helmet again! The comfort, performance, and build quality is unmatched.

• Like 1