Keep blowing starter fuses

2014 KTM 450 sxf keeps blowing starter fuse. Trying to find the short but has anyone else had this problem?

Edited by EvanT
Misspelling

• Does the fuse blow only when trying to start? (indicative of an actual short in the wiring to or from starter)
  • Does it blow immediately, or over time? (indicative of a starter getting old and harder to turn and drawing more current)
  • Are you using the correct amperage fuse?

Could try Ohm'ing across the starter and compare to a buddies starter, though i dont suspect you'd see a big difference. In my years working with electronics i dont think i've ever seen motor windings 'short', doesnt mean it doesn't happen though.

On 11/15/2017 at 11:48 AM, ucandoit2 said:
  • Does the fuse blow only when trying to start? (indicative of an actual short in the wiring to or from starter)
  • Does it blow immediately, or over time? (indicative of a starter getting old and harder to turn and drawing more current)
  • Are you using the correct amperage fuse?

Could try Ohm'ing across the starter and compare to a buddies starter, though i dont suspect you'd see a big difference. In my years working with electronics i dont think i've ever seen motor windings 'short', doesnt mean it doesn't happen though.

Thanks for responding. 

Correct amps 👍

Fuse seems to blow on slow take off or when coming out of a corner in to high a gear. Fuse doesn’t blow right away. 

Bike only has like 17 hours 

gotta be something loose that is causing it right? 

Maybe the cap under the tank , they have been known to cause this

3 hours ago, EvanT said:

Cap under the Tank? 

The capacitor/condenser (or condensator as ktm calls it)

A known issue with 16's, but your symptoms are similar.

Start your bike, leave it running and disconnect the battery, then rev it up, if it dies, then your cap is likely bad.

Edited by yzrider53

7 hours ago, EvanT said:

Thanks for responding. 

Correct amps 👍

Fuse seems to blow on slow take off or when coming out of a corner in to high a gear. Fuse doesn’t blow right away. 

Bike only has like 17 hours 

gotta be something loose that is causing it right? 

Yes, sounds like a wire that is loose or worn insulation that is allowing the bare wire to contact metal when the handle bars are turned one way or the other. The 'slow take off' doesnt make sense though. I tried searching for a decent wiring diagram for your bike but found nothing. Without a schematic it can make troubleshooting more challenging.

You may have to begin at the starter or switch end, and trace and inspect the wiring looking for anything obvious, hopefully the wires/harness is easy to get to (but they never are).

Or, you can try YZRIDER53's suggestion and replace the capacitor. I'm leaning more towards a wiring issue though.

Good luck and keep us updated.

we had this problem with our 15.5 FE after around 60 hours

all my years of electronics told me there was a short in the wiring somewhere and I went over everything I could access.  but found no indication of a bare wire.

I did some research and found there were issues with the cap/condenser and mounting position used on this model.  And KTM updated the part number.

Tried the new updated capacitor and mount and the bike ran another 10 hours before the problem returned

Next Replaced all the relay's, and went another number of hours before the same thing happened.

Finally bit the bullet, replaced the wire harness and the problem went away.

intermittent problems like this suck, and are expensive to diagnose. It will hurt you when it happens on the face of a jump.

I had many sleepless nights over this since its my sons bike. Lucky for us each time the fuse failed it was on flat ground

• Like 1