17 yz 250 suspension... springs and revalve or just springs

Got a 17 yz 250..i weigh 230 lbs..i know I'm far exceeding the stock springs..Should I get heavier springs and a revalve or just heavier springs? Ride mostly woods and do HS, class is b vet...was thinking about going with pro action if I revalved, any suggestions?

Edited by White Daryl

Springs might do it for you, but a revalve done professionally would be the best, since it's suited to you.

• Like 1

I’m 6 1” 220, I had my 17 resprung and valved by MB1 this time around , but did just heavier springs on my 06. If you have the coin definitely go with a revolve, but if not the new springs were a night and day different.. I race moto and did notice that with just the springs if I was riding well and carrying a lot of speed into the face of somewhat steep jumps it wasn’t the most comfortable feeling.. but even this was seldom an issue

I think it was that I couldn’t get the rebound correct, as fast as it would go n it would bottom into the face if that makes sense..

I’ve heard iffy results with pro action, but think that was because they license out their name to independents n the guy did shit work.. factory connection does excellent work, or if you’re on the West Coast MB1 is the best I’ve ever had

Springs and shock revalve.  Shock rebound is very fast and will be worse with a heavier spring.  Factory Connection soft compression adjuster spring will smooth out the sharp bumps.  Everything else should be good with clicker adjustments unless you like really soft suspension or you're riding slow rocky terrain.  I can give you a good rebound stack if you are interested.

I already had the CADJ spring and oil so a shock revalve only cost me like $10 to do it myself.  Totally transforms bike handling and forks feel much better too.  I ride HS and some moto mostly in pretty soft sandy conditions.

Edited by delleetodd

Dirtscoot, thanks for the info...i have the coin to do the revalve but I didn't know if it was worth it...then if I go with the revalve the question is to who? We have a pro action local to me in south jersey but for half the price of the revalve and springs I can do just the springs so wanted to make sure it was worth it..with that being said if the difference with the revalve is that great its worth every penny..dont want to pay for the revalve and it' not be that much better then just changing springs 

• Like 1

Delleetodd thanks for the response so you would recommnd revalving/springs for the shock and just changing springs in the forks?

If you have the money, and you say you do, get the springs and the re-valve front and rear. You are going to need springs for sure. 

You will also love the action if done right.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, White Daryl said:

2 stroke yz doc who would you recommed for the revalve? I was going to go pro action in south jersey 

Closest reputable to you of course. Check with others that have used them, talk to the guys there, and tell the tuner exactly where, and how you ride. I'm close to Enzo, and RG3, but use Enzo now exclusively because of a bad experience with RG3. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, White Daryl said:

Delleetodd thanks for the response so you would recommnd revalving/springs for the shock and just changing springs in the forks?

Yes, the forks are good and will feel much better if you get the shock right.  On my 250X I have only changed the amount of oil in the outer chamber to 350cc 10wt from 320cc 5wt.  YZ250 suspension is very close to being great so not a lot of drastic changes needed.  I would change springs and revalve the shock first.  Ride it and you may be very pleased after.  I will post a rebound stack in a bit for you.

Dirtscoot, thanks for the info...i have the coin to do the revalve but I didn't know if it was worth it...then if I go with the revalve the question is to who? We have a pro action local to me in south jersey but for half the price of the revalve and springs I can do just the springs so wanted to make sure it was worth it..with that being said if the difference with the revalve is that great its worth every penny..dont want to pay for the revalve and it' not be that much better then just changing springs 

If you have the coin no question revalve if— like others said check with people you know in the area about pro actions reputation— I’m in Maryland and there’s quite a few shops in PA that do some of the best work you can pay for. KB5 is one of them and of course PR2 (believe Darryn Durham’s family owns it?). I’ve had PR2 do mine before and they did a great job, even gave me a call a couple weeks after they shipped I t back to see if I was happy with it. I got the low speed springs I believe they’re called as well that have been mentioned on here— since you ride trails they would be even more crucial since square edges etc. are even more common than moto. Also, set your sag. Getting work done and then slapping it on without setting sag would be upsetting since you just spent all that money- makes a big difference, be sure to check again after you’ve ridden with the springs and they’ve had time to break in.. I myself need to be Better about checking it 3-4 times throughout the year depending on how much you ride — Oh MB1 also put a new piston in my shock, supposed to help with fade I believe— might just be a thing he does, he did it for both my rmz and yz and can’t say anything but good things!

Stock stacks above new rebound stack below.  Start with clicker at 14 out.  Don't forget the compression adjuster spring.  This will be a good start and you will have a nice plush shock with tons of traction.  If you go in with the clicker your rebound will get very slow and pack, it needs to be opened further than stock.  You will be able to feel each rebound click and visually see a difference when you push down on your seat.

• Like 1