Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×

Are over-the-boot off-road pants really snag hazards?

I've been wearing over-the-boot off-road pants since the late 90s (not the baggy freestyle type) and very much prefer them over in-the-boot style. They keep the tops of my boots clean, they help to keep my feet dry on wet days & watercrossings, and they've never been a bothersome snag hazard. However, some swear they've been ripped off the bike when they snagged on a tree or they get their kickstarter or footpeg tangled up in the pant leg. 

If you're like me and wear OTB pants, what's been your experience? Are they really the safety hazard some claim? Or, are they just full of it?

otb.jpg

• Like 4

I haven't had a problem and my msr winter gear is pretty baggy

I haven't had a problem and my msr winter gear is pretty baggy

I keep the cuffs pretty tight though
  • Like 1

I use to use them back in late 90's -05 or so. mx only for me, but they never seemed to last id tear ass out of them mostly . I used the Shift ones wasn't alot of options then. I been using in the boots for last 10-12 years.  I feel they hold kneebraces better than over boot . 

I picked up a pair on closeout mainly because they had pockets. Rode about 25 miles for the 1st time with them on Florida single track a couple weeks ago; thick palmettos, vines and tight woods. The best compliment I can give them is I never even realized I was wearing over-the-boot pants for the entire ride.

• Like 1

Just now, 76xtdrvr said:

I picked up a pair on closeout mainly because they had pockets. Rode about 25 miles for the 1st time with them on Florida single track a couple weeks ago; thick palmettos, vines and tight woods. The best compliment I can give them is I never even realized I was wearing over-the-boot pants for the entire ride.

We ride the same stuff... I'm in central FL. Talk about a wet summer!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

We ride the same stuff... I'm in central FL. Talk about a wet summer!

Our good riding season is just starting!

I have bought a couple pair over the years and for me they do seem to catch on things (foot pegs, sticks, etc.) and they get torn up in short order. I don’t like them as much as ITBP, but I do still have a pair of OTBP for when I ride in snow or dunes just to help keep junk out of by boots.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

With a chainsaw! So many downed trees from Irma. 

You're slacking. We got our workdays out of the way in late Oct. :ride:

Just now, 76xtdrvr said:

You're slacking. We got our workdays out of the way in late Oct. :ride:

Just me and a buddy. We put in a solid day a couple of weeks ago with his Jeep and winch. But, slow going with schedules. We need a bigger crew and more time! I just wanna ride!

• Like 2

I've been wearing them since Klim came out with OTP, I ride all year long, dirt, frozen dirt, ice, and then ice, frozen dirt, dirt every year, I have vented , non vented and the gortex over the boot pants, don't even own a pair of in the boots. I've have never had snagging problem, if you would slip the Klims are velcro'd in the back and separate. I do ride in Arizona once or twice a year through allot of cactus (#$%&^* cholla) when I get home the lower legs need the thorns extracted before washing, other than that they seem to keep your feet drier, boots seems to last longer and they do seem to flow more air and feel cooler.       

• Like 1

I've been wearing them for years, well since 2003 with the Shift Recon Pants, but because they keep adding zip offs I can't find a decent set as I prefer them over the in the boot. I use to wear them being originally from Washington State and we would do a lot of Scuba-Cross (deep puddles and just wet all over) it would keep water out of my boots and keep my feet fairly dry, plus the big cargo pockets could hold several rags to wipe goggles and face off with. I just wish more companies would product over the boot pants that aren't zip offs, maybe bring back the Thor Ride set.

My dad refuses to admit his pants are a nuisance (he wears them for the pockets too) despite how many times I've seen him catch his pant leg on the kicker or even the foot pegs. Proof is in the pants, they're starting to get torn and tattered at the cuff. 

Never had a problem with OTB pants. Have a couple of buddies that either use duct tape or short velcro bundling straps from Home Depot(?) to hold the pants tighter against the boot. Most of my riding buddies are 50+ and most wear OTB pants.

• Like 1

On issue I have ever had was my keys put a hole in the front pocket.
Thought I had lost them put they stayed in the inner lining, just had to fish them from the bottom of the leg.
But as far as snagging, never had a problem. Maybe if you're a foot paddled.

Yes, I’ve had snagging issues.  I’ve almost fallen over numbers times when I put my foot down and the pant caught the footpeg. Of course if they would stay tight to my boot such things would be unlikely to happen. (See below)

The Klim over the boots I’ve had have Velcro. It doesn’t work well in the mud at all, since if they snag and pull the Velcro loose, it wont’ Work anymore full of mud. Plus the Velcro comes loose from the pants.   To solve it, I cut up rubber bands from old inner tubes and slip them over the pants and boots. That works really well.

A buddy is testing out using dog collars to keep them snug (so far seems ok).  If you can keep them tight, they work find and certainly help keep water out of the boots. At least it wont’go Right in over the top anyway!  I’ve had a couple of Klim over the boots, and both have issues with the Velcro.  I called Klim and they gave the old ‘nobody else has that problem’. Perhaps I keep my riding pants longer or something- I do ride in gnarly stuff with loads of sticks, limbs and brush. Plus very slow riding.

I've been wearing over-the-boot off-road pants since the late 90s (not the baggy freestyle type) and very much prefer them over in-the-boot style. They keep the tops of my boots clean, they help to keep my feet dry on wet days & watercrossings, and they've never been a bothersome snag hazard. However, some swear they've been ripped off the bike when they snagged on a tree or they get their kickstarter or footpeg tangled up in the pant leg. 
If you're like me and wear OTB pants, what's been your experience? Are they really the safety hazard some claim? Or, are they just full of it?
otb.jpg.38337b44f69c282a03b35d499a889739.jpg

Me too been wearing OTB pants about 20 years. Occasional foot peg snag, other than that I like em.
  • Like 1

I only wear the OTBs in cold and/or wet rides. My experience has been some snagging from the bike, but nothing externally. Getting ready to try out my third pair.

Shift Squadron with zip off legs. Fine on one bike, but hung up on kickstart lever and plastics on another. Occasionally I'd snag a foot peg.

Fox ???? without zip off legs. As a fashion statement these had a broad tail that covered the heel. Snag-O-Rama. Had momma trim the pants and widen the Velcro. Worked great for years.

Fly Patrol that haven't been worn yet. Looks promising as they have two cinch straps, one at the ankle and one at the shin.