Adding heated grips. Where to tap into for 12V-switched?

I installed the A'ME heated grips on my DR650, they wire directly to the battery and have minimum voltage protection - in other words they shut down when voltage drops to a certain amount. In addition to power protection they are clamp on and have six levels of warmth, I used just the first level except for some very cool evenings on my Alaska trip - good customer service also.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Danceswithtrees said:

I tapped mine into the big red wire going into the fuse block under the seat.  It's only hot when running so you won't accidentally leave them on and drain your battery. 

1128162033_zpsqzl9csiy.jpg

Thanks Danceswith trees.  Did you use a fuse-tap or, did you cut and splice into the big red wire?  

What heated grips did you go with?  

Did you ever consider the liquid heated bars for $4-500?  

1 hour ago, Ben500RR-S said:

Thanks Danceswith trees.  Did you use a fuse-tap or, did you cut and splice into the big red wire?  

What heated grips did you go with?  

Did you ever consider the liquid heated bars for $4-500?  

I spliced into the wire, but a fuse tap would be easier and I'll probably do that when I put them on my 390.

I used bikemaster heated grips, worked good for me but were a bitch to get off for the summer.  Left the right side on the throttle tube just got a new tube for summer.  Might be better options not sure.  Not going to spend 4-500 for heated bars that's for sure!

1101162217_zpsxqkfeukz.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Danceswithtrees said:

I spliced into the wire, but a fuse tap would be easier and I'll probably do that when I put them on my 390.

I used bikemaster heated grips, worked good for me but were a bitch to get off for the summer.  Left the right side on the throttle tube just got a new tube for summer.  Might be better options not sure.  Not going to spend 4-500 for heated bars that's for sure!

1101162217_zpsxqkfeukz.jpg

Thanks DWT, I appreciate all your help as you are the only Beta Snowbike owner out there that I know of.  

i was not keen on dropping $400-500 on liquid heated bars either and don't have much of a problem with cold hands when snowmobiling and knowing how busy I'll be riding the bike in the snow, cold hands might be my last concern.  

I never look forward to getting grips off but, I've had good luck squirting window cleaner in them to get them on and off.  I'm going to go with those Bikemaster grips too as whatever you use, has worked.  

18 minutes ago, ktm300 said:

I switch to the AME grips last year and wish I had done it years ago, they have all water proof connectors, re-usable lock-on grips and look like they'll last for years.

Thanks for the suggestion.  The AME full waffle heateds look good as to their connectors.  

It is going to be tough as the Bikemasters are $54 shipped while the AME's are $150.  I do know/understand that quality does cost money.  

Do the AME grips simply slide over the bar and existing throttle tube?  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  The AME full waffle heateds look good as to their connectors.  

It is going to be tough as the Bikemasters are $54 shipped while the AME's are $150.  I do know/understand that quality does cost money.  

Check with your dealer, mine gave me a nice discount on my AME's as he sells quite a few this time of the year and yes they do just slide over the bars.

• Like 1

Yes they slide on and lock in place with a locking ring, you get a left lock-on tube and a complete throttle tube, there system will shut it's self off when left idle for more than a couple minuets and remembers the last setting you used. KTM's have been coming standard with lock-on grips the last few years. 

I've raced with these with AME's and gauntlets well below 0 and ran them on #2 with just summer moto gloves #3 and up are to hot to hold onto with light gloves.

The other thing on the cheaper ones is the size of the grips are huge, they seem more oriented toward street bikes, they also come with a ceramic resistor that's fragile and gets real hot, and a China switch that will fail.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ktm300 said:

Yes they slide on and lock in place with a locking ring, you get a left lock-on tube and a complete throttle tube, there system will shut it's self off when left idle for more than a couple minuets and remembers the last setting you used. KTM's have been coming standard with lock-on grips the last few years. 

I've raced with these with AME's and gauntlets well below 0 and ran them on #2 with just summer moto gloves #3 and up are to hot to hold onto with light gloves.

The other thing on the cheaper ones is the size of the grips are huge, they seem more oriented toward street bikes, they also come with a ceramic resistor that's fragile and gets real hot, and a China switch that will fail.  

Thanks.  

I definitely don't mind paying more for stuff that will last and it seems that the AME will last.  

I love the idea of the "lock-on" left grip as I will take these off once the snow is gone.  

My only concern is the throttle tube side.  I have a G2 quick turn cam and throttle tube and want to continue to use it with heated grips.  Does the AME come with a throttle tube that will fit our Beta's?   If so, I would lose the quick turn throttle that I'm sure I would need and want in the snow.  

12 hours ago, Ben500RR-S said:

Ben - Rocky Mountain has the Ame's for $125. 

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/709/46624/AME-Clamp-On-Full-Waffle-MX-Heated-Grips

Edited by Ocaptainmycaptain
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mtdirtbag said:

They do hook up directly to the battery, they do have battery protection in that they shut down if battery levels are at a certain low point and also shut off if you forget to shut them off and the engine is not running. They are well thought out and you are not running power thru the suspect Beta wiring.

Thanks. ?