Would you guys change this out?.. Air Filter

Just curious about this as sometimes i think they could go longer based on their appearance.. My 250RR gets a lot less dirty than my YZ250FX did which is nice.  This is after 4 rides hear in the PNW.  Probably a dumb question but I'm curious what you guys would do here.  Swap it out or give it a few more rides :) 

IMG_7263.JPG

IMG_7264.JPG

I'd leave it.  That thing looks pretty good to me.  

I would not have taken it off to inspect it though, I would either have looked at it from the side panel or from the top of the seat-I prefer the seat as it is just the pushbutton as opposed to the two push pins on the side panel and I don't have to bend over as much.  

If I had it in my hand like you, I'd then change it out as you are already more than 1/2 way there.  

I'm one that keeps the spare filter so it is ready to oil and go at any time.  

• Like 2

That is a very clean filter . Unless you swamp your bike you should be able to go all winter on a filter around here. 

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, FUHL said:

Is that before or after cleaning?

Either way, I would still use it.

Both of the those pictures are before i pulled it out to wash the bike.   

Edited by NW_drZ
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

I would not have taken it off to inspect it though, I would either have looked at it from the side panel or from the top of the seat-I prefer the seat as it is just the pushbutton as opposed to the two push pins on the side panel and I don't have to bend over as much.  

LMFAO.  It only takes a few seconds and no tools to remove side panel and the filter.  Many of us do this after every ride as part of the washing process.  On the 2T oil injected bikes it's also a great opportunity to inspect the OI pump, electrical connectors, and oil lines.

1 minute ago, wwguy said:

LMFAO.  It only takes a few seconds and no tools to remove side panel and the filter.  Many of us do this after every ride as part of the washing process.  On the 2T oil injected bikes it's also a great opportunity to inspect the OI pump, electrical connectors, and oil lines.

Yup, it is definitely not as dusty where I ride as compared to other places in this great country, and when I do ride with buddies where it is dusty, I hang back so I don't get roosted and so I don't have to breathe in either the dust or the 2-stroke.  

Twin Air's are thick filters and as I know I have oiled my filter well, I can trust that nothing is getting through it.  

I do love how easy it is getting the filter out.  

• Like 1

That's not bad, sometimes I'll just brush off and pop the same filter like that back in if its just big stuff and no dust.  That filter looks a little light on oil, IMO.  Get a few and batch process, then swap is easy.

• Like 3

I miss understood, I thought you where saying should you replace with a new one. No, it doesn't look like it would need to be cleaned yet.

I like filter skins, just switch them after every ride or race and filter lasts quite a bit longer.

15 minutes ago, GP said:

That's not bad, sometimes I'll just brush off and pop the same filter like that back in if its just big stuff and no dust.  That filter looks a little light on oil, IMO.  Get a few and batch process, then swap is easy.

Thats with the NO-Toil red oil.  Been using that stuff for a long time and i make sure to cover it always well with oil and squeeze it through.  I think in the pic it may be hard to tell considering the air filter has that natural pinkish color.  

14 minutes ago, BassMan said:

I like filter skins, just switch them after every ride or race and filter lasts quite a bit longer.

What brand and where do you buy the skins? What size would my CRF250R take?

Any bike shop or online store has them, think there are just small and large. Filterskinz 

I don't know anything about Betas. I'd wonder what the access to the air box looks like. Maybe the Yamaha gets dirty faster because it has bigger holes for the filter to be more exposed to dust?

I wouldn't clean it unless you rode in the wet weather. I don't change one that looks like that unless I rode in heavy rain and water.