IRC M5B vs VE-33.. comparison pic

I use to run the VE-33 back in the day and really liked it.. Felt it did good all around.  I used to run it in a 110 on my 250F's and found the size adequate.  Lately however i have been running the M5B.  Everything from the standard to the EVO, 130 to 140.  My first knobby i put on my 250RR was the 140 EVO.  I enjoyed this tire through the summer into the fall, but lately found it was giving up quite a bit on the wet rocks and angled roots.  I felt like the back liked to kick to the left and right easily.  I think this was because of the big gap between knob rows.  For curiosity sakes i decided to order up the VE-33 to try it again (mainly for the closer knob spacing).  I decided to go with the 5.10, their biggest size.  First impressions was that the tire was MUCH skinnier than the 140 and even the 130 M5B.  I think i got use to the 140 and looked at it as "normal" in width.  After seeing the biggest VE-33 they are not even close in width.  I will say though that the VE-33 has a bigger sidewall and is pretty tall, knobs not quite as big as the M5B, but its still a tall tire.  Another thing with the VE-33 is the bead sticks out a bit over the rim which is cool.  Protects the rim from damage.  Last week i went out for my first ride on the tire and i couldn't believe how different the bike felt.  The skinnier tire carved much easier and made the bike feel lighter and more flickable.  I much preferred this feeling with the bike.  Straight line hook up was still good, but not quite as good as that big 140 when new.  I set the rear to 7psi with a UHD tube and it handled great in the roots and rocks.  One guy in our group made a comment about the tire looking low in pressure.  The VE-33 kinda flattens and squares itself off like a hybrid tire at lower PSI.  The compound is moderately gummy.. Not as much as the new 505's for example, but similar or even more so than the M5B.  Overall, for these smaller CC bikes i think i like the 110 size or so.  Tempted to try that 505 110 next.  

Anyways, i thought id just share this for others as comparison pics can always be helpful.

IMG_7267.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

That M5 B is a nice gigantic tire. The compound didn’t work for me but others seem to love it. I like the bigger size tires. I guess I can check to see if there’s a big vee for me to look at.

HDR, this is the biggest VE-33 they sell. I was actually a little surprised when i first got it (thought the 5.10 would of been wider, it doesnt measure 5.10 from knob to knob, rather 4.75.  You nailed it though, it looks and performs similarly to the MT-16.  I also use to run that tire in a 110.  Never did try the 120 MT16.

• Like 1

I have always felt the huge rear tires created handling issues, usually a bad push. Quit using them long long ago. The sizes I find in my bikes manual spot on for my needs. I really like the 33 but the prices sure have gone up recently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YHGEORGE said:

I have always felt the huge rear tires created handling issues, usually a bad push. Quit using them long long ago. The sizes I find in my bikes manual spot on for my needs. I really like the 33 but the prices sure have gone up recently.

I have noticed that too.  But I can still stomach $76 for the 33 in a 5.10.  Only $6 more than the largest 505.  The tire that gets me is the GT fatty up front.  Love the tire but its a pricey SOB.  Going to try that Shinko 216 fatty next.