• Announcements

• Bryan Bosch

VIDEO RIDING TIP!   11/15/2017

How to ride rutted corners with Garrahan Off-Road Training

BigBelly

Idaho... Tell me about the riding!

18 posts in this topic

Super eager to move to Idaho.  Many call Idaho "Heaven" for dirt bike lovers.  I try and watch as much as I can online when it comes to Idaho trail riding but it's totally different than I first imagined.  I see so many videos where the trails are tire width thru the trees but most appear to be goat trails on a side hill.  The technical parts seem to be the danger in falling off the damn cliff and switchbacks.  I am sure there is tough rock sections and other more difficult terrain but I don't see many videos that have that kind of stuff.  I know its there, can anyone tell me where to look?  Offroadrider15f (popular YouTube vids) posted some river ride on YouTube where he and a friend rode for about a damn hour on a cliffside that looked like sure death if you made the smallest mistake....  I was just wondering if anyone can share more about the kind of riding (videos are great) that I would encountered in the Boise area.  Its not all mountainside singletrack, right?  I know not many may want to post addressed or give out names of locations (that's how it is here), I respect that.  Just wanting to know more about Idaho before our first riding trip up there.  Anyone care to make a recommendation on a "must go to" trip?  Best month to consider planning a trip?

1 person likes this

That's an inside joke ^^^

Rode Idaho city a year ago and not too many death trails but a couple. Rode McCall this year and I do not recommend it for a first try.

Had three bikes go over the side of this one in September, all survived. I just made up a couple of mule tape rope retrievers today as an addition to my backpack (just because of this experience).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB5WYprzyXw

Edited by RollieW
1 person likes this

11 hours ago, BigBelly said:

Super eager to move to Idaho.  Many call Idaho "Heaven" for dirt bike lovers.  I try and watch as much as I can online when it comes to Idaho trail riding but it's totally different than I first imagined.  I see so many videos where the trails are tire width thru the trees but most appear to be goat trails on a side hill.  The technical parts seem to be the danger in falling off the damn cliff and switchbacks.  I am sure there is tough rock sections and other more difficult terrain but I don't see many videos that have that kind of stuff.  I know its there, can anyone tell me where to look?  Offroadrider15f (popular YouTube vids) posted some river ride on YouTube where he and a friend rode for about a damn hour on a cliffside that looked like sure death if you made the smallest mistake....  I was just wondering if anyone can share more about the kind of riding (videos are great) that I would encountered in the Boise area.  Its not all mountainside singletrack, right?  I know not many may want to post addressed or give out names of locations (that's how it is here), I respect that.  Just wanting to know more about Idaho before our first riding trip up there.  Anyone care to make a recommendation on a "must go to" trip?  Best month to consider planning a trip?

The cliff ride was fun, but more fun when you strap a pack full of tools on your back or carry a chainsaw on your handle bars.

There's open stuff west of Boise all the way to Twin Falls. Check SIDRA's web page

There are other mountain trails that are not so technical, the higher mountain top trails seem to have more rocks, lots of desert riding, we also have a couple local tracks.  What type of riding are you looking for?

Look at this web site and zoom in.  You will see all the trails the Forest Service and BLM list.  https://idaho.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2252207eb95b49f99b2c05228831dfbb 

Just a few places right offhand, Reynolds Cr, Murphy, Idaho City, Blacks Cr. These are all in pretty close proximity to Boise.

I'm kinda spoiled where I live because I don't have to load up my bike to ride endless trails.

Edited by rich_b

Northern Idaho has a good variety of trails. I don't go on the super technical shit.

1 person likes this

Great video FUHL!  Thank you!  Thanks for all the replies.  I'd love to see what really technical riding looks like up there.  If anyone can post a video, I would love it!  We ride a lot of "roller-coaster" type single and double track here in Northern California.  There are several good places that have some really nasty sections but overall, from what I hear anyway, our riding doesn't come close to what you guys have up there.  We have some cliff-side trails but nothing like what I've seen in Idaho.  We have lots of steep and long hill climbs and lots of areas that are rutted, rocky and rooted.  We have lots of easy and intermediate trails in CA but we spend lots of time going out and looking for the kind of stuff that makes you question weather or not you even want to try it...  I like a good mixture of fairly hard trails that still allow fast riding mixed with, "oh, not this damn thing again"!  Where is that stuff in Idaho?  The, "I'm glad I got thru that but I'm not sure I care to do that again" kind of stuff.  The cliffs do it for me because I hate heights but the nasty stuff that's not just a cliff... any videos of that?  Many thanks in advance!

Great video FUHL!  Thank you!  Thanks for all the replies.  I'd love to see what really technical riding looks like up there.  If anyone can post a video, I would love it!  We ride a lot of "roller-coaster" type single and double track here in Northern California.  There are several good places that have some really nasty sections but overall, from what I hear anyway, our riding doesn't come close to what you guys have up there.  We have some cliff-side trails but nothing like what I've seen in Idaho.  We have lots of steep and long hill climbs and lots of areas that are rutted, rocky and rooted.  We have lots of easy and intermediate trails in CA but we spend lots of time going out and looking for the kind of stuff that makes you question weather or not you even want to try it...  I like a good mixture of fairly hard trails that still allow fast riding mixed with, "oh, not this damn thing again"!  Where is that stuff in Idaho?  The, "I'm glad I got thru that but I'm not sure I care to do that again" kind of stuff.  The cliffs do it for me because I hate heights but the nasty stuff that's not just a cliff... any videos of that?  Many thanks in advance!

What your describing is not found in a legal, sustainable trail system. It's all ridden by guy's with chainsaws.

1 hour ago, BigBelly said:

search for TT member "wwguy" in this thread.

He has some good videos of what you are looking for.

Yes, sir. We do much of that here as well. Your efforts, here and there, are appreciated!

search for TT member "wwguy" in this thread.
 He has some good videos of what you are looking for.

Weird that the link isn't showing up.