YZ 250 for Newish Teen

I am currently looking at a guy's yz250 that wants to trade for a gun. I am 5'9" 150 pounds and I am not a noob, ridden dirt bikes before, and my friend has a yz250, but I'm concerned if it will be too powerful. Sould I just buy it and get a flywheel weight?

...by ridden dirt bikes before, what do you mean?

like once or twice, or like a whole summer?

what bikes have you ridden before?

I’d hate to hear you hurt yourself by making a suggestion without more info. 

I was racing motocross on a 2001 yz250 when i was 15 years old and weighed 140lbs.  

If the bike is too fast for you, then just give it less throttle.  But it womt be too fast for you.  Don't listen to the pussies who tell you "thats too much bike for you".  I ignored those people when I was your age and weight.  I still don't understand that mindset.  

If somebody tries to tell you thats too much bike, call him a pussy, grab his woman by the waist, kiss her, and then take her back to your place.  That guy has no balls, probably can't get erect, so what does he need a girl for?

• Like 3

And nobody even come in here with that same old  "oh u cute wittel boy u should start out on a 125 so u can really learn how to ride blah blah blah".  

I hate when people constantly say that.  We've heard it enough.  We get it.  You're a pussy.  So you dont even have to come into this thread with that shit.  You guys who say that arent even fast so stfu.

3 hours ago, PPace07 said:

Ive ridden about 5 times most ive ridden is a crf 250r

Stick to a YZ125 then, the output of a 250 2-stroke does not remotely compare to a CRF250R.

So are you 13 or 19 or what? I only see you identified as "teen."

On one hand, the YZ 250 gives you a good bike you can grow into as you ride more and get better/faster. You don't want a bike you'll outgrow and get bored on in one year.

On the other hand, a fast guy on a 125 will beat an average guy on a 250. Talent takes you a lot farther than displacement.

Once you learn how to ride it you'll have nothing to worry about. It's a good bike. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, PPace07 said:

Mostly desert and trails

Don't buy a motocross bike. Consider a WR or XR.

Edited by TheLastByte
  • Like 2

I've been on my son's yz125 and my yz250 and there is a big difference in tight single track through the woods.  On the 125 I feel like I can let it rip more often than the 250...but more open trails the 250 just rocks. There's a size/weight and power difference for sure. 

59 minutes ago, PPace07 said:

Mostly desert and trails

I raced harescrambles on my yz250.  I was mid pack in B class, sometimes a front runner.  Very tight technical stuff.  The YZ250 is the most versatile off road machine that has ever been built.  

Also, if you can handle a crf250, then you will be able to adapt to the power of a yz250 in no time.  People act like they are light years different in terms of power. Yes, the yz is faster.  No, its not like you're jumping from an xr80 and hopping into the millenium falcon.  

Like I said, there are a lot of pussies on the internet forums who probably haven't even ridden EITHER bike in the desert OR the trails.  I've done everything from supercross to slow technical 2 hour long harescrambles on a yz250.  

Even if you get the Yz250 and somehow find a way to not love the bike, you can sell those very easily.  Know why?  Because they are awesome bikes.  BTW, the engine on a yz250 will last longer than the engine on a crf250.  Its cheaper to rebuild.  And it sure as hell will outlive a 125 two stroke.  Because the yz doesnt have to be absolutely Wide the EFF Open everywhere in order to keep pace.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Simps08 said:

I've been on my son's yz125 and my yz250 and there is a big difference in tight single track through the woods.  On the 125 I feel like I can let it rip more often than the 250...but more open trails the 250 just rocks. There's a size/weight and power difference for sure. 

What year is the 125 and what year is the 250?  

YZ250s from before 1996 are a different animal than 96 on up.  I've owned YZ250s from the last 3 generations of YZs.  All are good bikes, but the 06+ yz makes the pre-1996 yz feel like a little cumbersome in stock form.  

Ppace07....don't get me wrong, 250s are amazing bikes and if you find it's too much of a beast, you would have no problem at all getting in to something more suitable for tour riding style. It all depends on you. I started off with a 175 and found the 250 more suitable for me. 

I started riding on a CR250 when I was 16.  I didn't have an 85 or 125 etc... Learned from scratch on a 250.  Just be easy on the throttle.  Or, get a throttle tamer for $50-60 bucks.  Also, an 8 to 10 ounce flywheel will make it more tractable and broaden the hit a little.  Just don't ride over your head.  Sit forward on the tank, and weight the outside peg when you turn... weight the right peg when you turn left and vice versus l.  You'll be fine

• Like 1