Battery not charging

2014 ktm 250xc

As stated in the title the brand new yuasa battery is sitting at 13.2 volts when the bike is off and it jumps right back to that once the bike has been started. It doesn’t recharge at all, we pulled a regulator/rectifier off a known good bike and that didn’t fix the problem so that’s out, my stator is clean, we got acceptable readings when we tested for ohms on all the wires except for the white and yellow. My understanding is the yellow is for lights, heated grips, etc and the white will recharge the battery via the regulator/rectifier. Any tips on what else to check before replacing the stator?

Thanks

2014 ktm 250xc

As stated in the title the brand new yuasa battery is sitting at 13.2 volts when the bike is off and it jumps right back to that once the bike has been started. It doesn’t recharge at all, we pulled a regulator/rectifier off a known good bike and that didn’t fix the problem so that’s out, my stator is clean, we got acceptable readings when we tested for ohms on all the wires except for the white and yellow. My understanding is the yellow is for lights, heated grips, etc and the white will recharge the battery via the regulator/rectifier. Any tips on what else to check before replacing the stator?

Thanks

Float voltage means nothing, test your new battery with a discharge tester before you start going crazy.

I would also disconnect the battery leads, and then measure voltage at those wires with the bike running and with lights turned on (if you have any).  This should give you a better measure of stator output voltage without the battery itself influencing the measurement.  Also, you're measuring all the way at the battery connection points, so any trouble with loose wires, bad connections, etc should show up in this measurement.

If you're not getting voltage to the battery, then measure voltage again at the stator or rectifier.  If you get voltage there, then you have a wiring problem.  If no voltage there, then likely a stator or rectifier problem.  If your rectifier is known-good, then stator is suspect.

Ok, wait a second. How much voltage are you expecting to see in the battery?

You said it's sitting at 13.2V. After it starts the bike, it recovers any voltage drop from starting, yet you say it's not charging. How much higher do you think it should be? 13.2V is great.

Ok, wait a second. How much voltage are you expecting to see in the battery?
You said it's sitting at 13.2V. After it starts the bike, it recovers any voltage drop from starting, yet you say it's not charging. How much higher do you think it should be? 13.2V is great.

Jeff Slavens says it should be around 13.8 to 14.4 volts, so 13.2 isn’t good for a running bike, it’s only good with the bike off
  • Like 1

I would also disconnect the battery leads, and then measure voltage at those wires with the bike running and with lights turned on (if you have any).  This should give you a better measure of stator output voltage without the battery itself influencing the measurement.  Also, you're measuring all the way at the battery connection points, so any trouble with loose wires, bad connections, etc should show up in this measurement.
If you're not getting voltage to the battery, then measure voltage again at the stator or rectifier.  If you get voltage there, then you have a wiring problem.  If no voltage there, then likely a stator or rectifier problem.  If your rectifier is known-good, then stator is suspect.

Turned out to be the stator, horrible design by ktm I must say.

Turned out to be the stator, horrible design by ktm I must say.

Pretty rock solid by stator standards, I've had many KTMs over my ten years racing that brand and had one stator go out, he'll I've had three go out on my Kawasaki's in one season.

Pretty rock solid by stator standards, I've had many KTMs over my ten years racing that brand and had one stator go out, he'll I've had three go out on my Kawasaki's in one season.

I agree about the stator seems pretty good, the electric start is what I was referring too as well as the bad seal/vents that allow dirt and water into the flywheel/stator/stater components

I agree about the stator seems pretty good, the electric start is what I was referring too as well as the bad seal/vents that allow dirt and water into the flywheel/stator/stater components

Oh yea the starter sucks eggs.lol