Questions on my WR

So i just got a wr426 over the weekend, and since its cold i figured id spend the winter getting it ready for the road next spring. So I have just a few questions, hopefully someone here can give me a hand..

I want to put a on/off key on it, as sort of a theft prevention. I saw online you can buy the whole key set up, but im wondering is it as easy as wiring it into the killswitch? or is there more that im missing? what are some other theft prevention things i could do?

Also thinking about putting supermoto rims/tires on. Was curious on whats a good size to run? Saw a set of used warp 9's from a newer wr450, but im not sure if they are interchangeable or not. not really looking to change hubs etc.

When at idle, the lights are very dim. I'm not really surprised by it, but im wondering will a high power stator fix this? or should i just try to run everything off a battery? 

Thanks in advance for any help!!

you need rpms to generate power on bikes in general. Even say like a honda 1000rr. All the troubleshooting is done at 5k rpms. 

It might be easier to wire in a secondary switch instead of a key. just hide it somewhere. If someone wants to take your bike they will prob just pull up in a truck or van and load it. pretty sloppy to drive off on it lol. 

I just got the full coverage with theft insurance when I plated mine. It was only an extra $10 for the whole year. Gotta keep in mind, key or no key its easy enough to pick it right up and throw it in the back of a truck.

I have also done quite a bit of research into the supermoto wheel compatability for my own WR426 and from what I've seen it appears that any WR450 wheel is compatable. As for wheel size, the standard 3.5x17" front is fine and the rear can either be 4.25x17" or 5x17". Tire clearances can be an issue where even though the tire says it's 160mm wide there is some over-hang and it is actually 173mm wide and will not fit into the swingarm in the case of the Dunlop Q3.

With theft protection I believe that the kicking procedure for these bikes is enough to deter most criminals. If they really want the bike they will just roll it into a truck, drive off, and figure out how to start it later.

Thanks for the reply guys. I figure someone could just pick it up and take it, which would suck, but lets just hope that never happens I guess. I did always figure how the starting procedure would deter anyone from riding off on the bike lol. 

With the sumo tires- I figured that the wr450 wheels would work, I’m just curious if anyone has actually done it. I’m worried about different axle sizes. The problem is I’m cheap and trying to buy a used set lol. 

One more question... I’ve seen a lot about the hydraulic brake switch etc. I already have the switch, but once I started looking, I see that the yellow wire (that I believe is the brake light wire and shouldn’t be connected to anything?) is already connected to the switch. It’s hard to explain because it looks like someone just slapped it together, with duct tape holding it together... even with all that I still only have a running light with no brake light. I’ll mess with it more tomorrow. Thinking maybe hooking up the new switch to the front brake? I shouldn’t have a problem getting it installed, or bleeding the brakes, but I’m curious where I’ll plug the 2 wires into if I use the front brake. 

13 hours ago, jmcguire1014 said:

dy have the switch, but once I started looking, I see that the yellow wire (that I believe is the brake light wire and shouldn’t be connected to anything?) is already connected to the switch. It’s hard to explain because it looks like someone just slapped it together, with duct tape holding it together... even with all that I still only have a running light with no brake light. I’ll mess with it more tomorrow. Thinking maybe hooking up the new switch to the front brake? I shouldn’t have a problem getting it installed, or bleeding the brakes, but I’m curious where I’ll plug the 2 wires into if I use the front brake. 

brake switch has two wires that come out of it. One goes to the battery for power, and the other goes to the third wire at the taillight. Double check this but i dont see any other way to do it. 

On 11/24/2017 at 1:44 PM, jmcguire1014 said:

I don’t have a battery, but there is 2 wires. Yellow and blue. Both connected to the master cylinder 

one of those is for power, the other goes to the tail light. 

On 11/23/2017 at 10:19 PM, jmcguire1014 said:

With the sumo tires- I figured that the wr450 wheels would work, I’m just curious if anyone has actually done it. I’m worried about different axle sizes. The problem is I’m cheap and trying to buy a used set lol.

WR450 axles work fine for the 426 however, you may just need different spacers. The only Yamaha 450 with wheels that aren't compatible are 2009 and after YZ450s. The WR-F and YZ 250 wheels also work, although i'm not sure if the 2009 rule also applies to the YZ250. With the 250 wheels you will need the right axle spacers.

I have replaced my brake switch once and need to do so again right now. From what I understand it is common for these to go bad. The two wires on the switch are both the same color so I assume it doesn't matter if they are hooked to yellow or blue (can't remember from the instructions). Either way they get spliced into the yellow and blue wires that run through the air box and back to the tail light. Here are some pics of mine. Easy too replace and cheap, just inconvenient. 20171129_204639.jpg20171129_204828.jpg20171129_205136.jpg

sweet. I think I’m gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on a new set of warp 9’s. Heard a lot of mixed reviews on them. Anyone have first hand experience? 

I ended up getting the brake switch figured out. I had ordered a new one, not realizing it was already set up on the bike. The plug is kinda messed up and comes out after about a hour of the bike running so it looks like that’s getting replaced too. Thanks for all the help guys!