18x2.5 rear rim 02 KX 250

I'm switching over to an 18" rear wheel on my 02 kx250. I was given a moose 2.5" rear wheel, but I see most guys run the stock 2.15" rim. Is anyone running the 2.5 with a knobby? I'm thinking of running the 505 cheater, but don't know what size to get and don't want anything to rub with the wider rim.

I can tell you this... just put a 505 on my buddy's '03 KX250 on the 19" rim. Had to pull the caliper carrier off to get the rim/tire combo on the bike it was so wide. Also, on each side near the front of the swingarm there is about 3/16" clearance between it and the tire. I would be willing to bet you will have interference problems with that wide of a rim and the 505.

6 hours ago, SS109 said:

I can tell you this... just put a 505 on my buddy's '03 KX250 on the 19" rim. Had to pull the caliper carrier off to get the rim/tire combo on the bike it was so wide. Also, on each side near the front of the swingarm there is about 3/16" clearance between it and the tire. I would be willing to bet you will have interference problems with that wide of a rim and the 505.

what width shinko ? , are the 02-03 swing arms narrower then the 99-01 ?

53 minutes ago, kxrob said:

Yeah, I should have mentioned the size. It was the 120/90-19. Makes the 19" rim look like it is actually an 18" setup the sides are so tall.

On the other, I'm not sure of the differences between the two series of KX's. Sorry.

On 11/15/2017 at 9:14 PM, kxrob said:

99-02 are all L series bikes, should be very similar.  They did go to a new swingarm in 03 but I can't tell you if its narrower or not.  I doubt it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, turbo dan said:

99-02 are all L series bikes, should be very similar.  They did go to a new swingarm in 03 but I can't tell you if its narrower or not.  I doubt it.

So swing arm didn't change in 02 ? . Didn't Kawasaki change axle size or pivot bolt size in 02 ?

I have this tire on a 1996 KX250 with a 19" rear rim (110/90x19 Shinko R505 Hybrid Cheater Tire - 110/90x19). There are no fitment issues. Performance is very good. Using heavy duty rear tube with air PSI between 7-9 in all Trail conditions ridden slowly. 

I don't use ultra heavy duty tubes because I can't get them to sink into the tire deep enough when mounting so I end up pinching them unlike the standard heavy duty tubes. 

Edited by shrubitup