Clutch Hours

I replaced the transmission oil in my 07 250 (to Motul Transoil Expert 10W-40) and then my clutch started slipping. Figured it was the plates/springs even though they are borderline within the service limit.

New plates and springs are on order for the 250 but put the same oil in my 07 125 and now that’s slipping too. Both bikes have less than 20 hours each total on them.

How many hours are you guys getting from your clutch plates and springs?

I’m only estimating but I would say I get between 30-40 hours on my 2007 CR250 clutch’s. It depends on the terrain meaning that sand & mud will increase wear. I’m definitely a clutch abuser. It’s odd that oil would cause slippage unless it’s automotive oil with friction modifiers in it.

Do both your 07’s have less than 20 hours from new? Let’s see some photos!

I’m only estimating but I would say I get between 30-40 hours on my 2007 CR250 clutch’s. It depends on the terrain meaning that sand & mud will increase wear. I’m definitely a clutch abuser. It’s odd that oil would cause slippage unless it’s automotive oil with friction modifiers in it.
Do both your 07’s have less than 20 hours from new? Let’s see some photos!

Cheers Dklassen. I found one article that claimed slippage can cause going from mineral to fully synthetic (https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/advice/biking-tips/you-ask-we-answer-can-an-oil-change-make-my-clutch-clip) but plenty of claims that even that wouldn’t cause it.

Just seems too coincidental to happen on both bikes with low hours. I think I’ll dump the oil, refill and see. Perhaps the POs were running mineral and there is something to it.

Yeah from new. Lucked into finding them from people originally intending to keep them somewhat unused as collectables.

11 hours ago, wsc96 said:

Cheers Dklassen. I found one article that claimed slippage can cause going from mineral to fully synthetic (https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/advice/biking-tips/you-ask-we-answer-can-an-oil-change-make-my-clutch-clip) but plenty of claims that even that wouldn’t cause it.

Just seems too coincidental to happen on both bikes with low hours. I think I’ll dump the oil, refill and see. Perhaps the POs were running mineral and there is something to it.

Yeah from new. Lucked into finding them from people originally intending to keep them somewhat unused as collectables.

You forgot the photos

You forgot the photos

IMG_3748.jpg

Not the best pic. Was checking the van layout. Will get some more in the coming weeks. In process of new plastics/graphics. Keeping the OEM stuff unused.
  • Like 2