What’s your opinion on this?

In recently looking for a good action camera under $430 and I found two that I’m having a hard time to choose. The two cameras are GoPro Hero 5 Black, of the Sony FDR-x3000. Both cost $399. The Sony has two important things the GoPro has which is optical image stabilization and a faster bit rate on writing data (100mbps, while GoPro has 60). The thing is that the GoPro has the touch lcd, and its waterproof right out of the box. Sorry if I put this in the wrong thread but I really don’t know where to put this. 🤷‍♂️

I had the previous version of the Sony Camera, wasnt great. Only certain memory cards worked in mine, the unit itself is a small compact one, but then you have to drop it into the case, which makes it fairly large. Mounting onto goggle strap wasnt an option, due to the weight, it would bounce around and left a knocking noise coming through in the video. Running the gopro 5 now, couldnt be happier. Works great out the box, simple to use, waterproof which you mentioned and has a whole host of mounts and after market ones available to you. 

• Like 2

IMG_1067.thumb.jpg.d9ec0acb12aba8282c6d896026c42f9d.jpgIMG_1068.thumb.jpg.718b9aa538f46416a3e8b4dcc6e6738c.jpg

Anyone have videos of riding with the hero 5?

No, but gopros have some amazing video quality. There is a reason other companies base the features of their cameras against gopros. I own a hero 4 silver and a GoPro hero 4 session.

The only thing I kind of dislike about the new ones (and you may want to take his into consideration) is that there is no external case! Get lens protectors for sure!

My hero 4 session is the same way (except I can replace the lens). I bought my session and took it to my first hare scramble. A mile into the start some kid on a 250f ended up passing me and roosting me, breaking the lens.(I replaced it just the other day!) that was the first time I used it!

I personally would get a refurbed hero silver (may still have new ones has well). I don’t record past 1080 60fps (amazing quality!) and don’t really see a point to record past that? Your money and choice I guess. Just my opinion. Good luck!

• Like 1

No, but gopros have some amazing video quality. There is a reason other companies base the features of their cameras against gopros. I own a hero 4 silver and a GoPro hero 4 session.

The only thing I kind of dislike about the new ones (and you may want to take his into consideration) is that there is no external case! Get lens protectors for sure!

My hero 4 session is the same way (except I can replace the lens). I bought my session and took it to my first hare scramble. A mile into the start some kid on a 250f ended up passing me and roosting me, breaking the lens.(I replaced it just the other day!) that was the first time I used it!

I personally would get a refurbed hero silver (may still have new ones has well). I don’t record past 1080 60fps (amazing quality!) and don’t really see a point to record past that? Your money and choice I guess. Just my opinion. Good luck!

They make waterproof covers for the Hero5/6 so no worries there, and seeing the video/ image quality they are pretty much the same but the Sony is way more stable because is the ois. I’m kinda leaning on the Sony right now for that reason, but I’ll see what you guys have to say

We have versions of both in the house. For me it really just comes down to where I mount it vs. the shape of the camera.

I like the Sony attached right along the chinbar and it's still relatively slim. I like the GoPro when attached to the bike since the blocker profile isn't that much of an issue then.

I think the ease of use of software is about the same on both but the Sony one gives me more creative control if I want to edit the video a lot.

Garmin virb Ultra. I like the onboard GPS, accelerometer, ETC. I had a gopro prior to this one and I like it much better. When we run races it logs the speed, time, GPS position. 4K camera.

3 minutes ago, Sparkroost said:

Garmin virb Ultra. I like the onboard GPS, accelerometer, ETC. I had a gopro prior to this one and I like it much better. When we run races it logs the speed, time, GPS position. 4K camera.

+1 to this.  I bought one of these after my hero 4 black was stolen and after almost 1.5 years I have been super happy with it. My old go pro would give the occaisional sd error or just stop recording for no reason. This has never happened with my garmin. Plus the gmetrix data is amazing. 

I bought a activeon CX to replace my lost gopro. now I swap between the gopro and CX depending on which one is charged. 

gopro $400+

CX $50+

I won't buy another gopro after realizing how over priced they are. 

I thought about buying a camera to film my riding and man would it be sweet, but then I remembered nobody in my family or that I know gives a shit about my riding so probably a waste of $$ for me.

• Like 2

In recently looking for a good action camera under $430 and I found two that I’m having a hard time to choose. The two cameras are GoPro Hero 5 Black, of the Sony FDR-x3000. Both cost $399. The Sony has two important things the GoPro has which is optical image stabilization and a faster bit rate on writing data (100mbps, while GoPro has 60). The thing is that the GoPro has the touch lcd, and its waterproof right out of the box. Sorry if I put this in the wrong thread but I really don’t know where to put this. 🤷‍♂️

Have you looked at the garmin camera?? I was set to buy the GoPro but then I saw a vid of the garmin and fell in love .. it has a active GPS and does a map overlay and your speed while recording .. really liked it and the clarity was great

The Sony does the overlays too, the thing I’m worried about is the quality on the Garmin

Ah I didn’t know the Sony did that ... I’ve been using a garmin GPS for a few years without issue if that helps

Personally I don’t trust Sony at all for any electronics

I also have the original GOPro and use it riding, tubing on the boat (above and under water) and even on roller coasters and it’s works great .. goin on 5 years now so I can say their are solid

Im thinking of getting a session anyone know how the quality is on them?

I think that they are like the same quality as the GoPro model, but I don’t know for sure

1 minute ago, 93rm125P said:

I think that they are like the same quality as the GoPro model, but I don’t know for sure

i was looking at the hero 5 little pricey, rather buy upgrades then spend 500 on a gopro but if the hero session has good quality im gonna grab one