Austin Forkner

one of the least forgiving sports in the world when you make a small mistake.... right behind base jumping.. I often wanted to be a jet ski racer as I sat in a hospital bed contemplating my next move, you crash on one of those and you land in water......usually you do anyway.

Would anyone not agree with RC4 being maybe the most resilient rider in modern times .. Hes had some brutal get offs and somehow always manages to pop up and still win the damn race . When good ole bubba landed on him and knocked himself out , RC4 gets up throws his bike over and remounts for another charge.. MAkes me think he was drinking something with a little sumtin extra that day... Like of one the Macs PBRs .. lol

Edited by regul8or
  • Like 4

#1. Kids are going too fast for the under developed body to handle.

#2 have no choice.

#3 never going to develop resilience to impacts when you blast yourself to pieces at 16 years.

#4 career riddled with injury because so talented.

Easy fix for this. Quit putting 16 year olds on 50hp bikes. Open class is too much as it is for most guys. For the good of the sport lengthen out age groups, do the riders a favor and let them grow up without horrendous injury plagued lives and career. Rd was one of the longest lasting champions ever. You just witnessed him doing pro racing correctly. No one has had as little injury as him. Not pushing limits and settling for 2nd,3rd place is the long game. Sponsors and teams are to blame as well. Pushing contracts with performance based incentives, just makes limit breakers more enthusiastic to rip limbs of trying for big checks. Maybe I sound pussified and it's not my life or decision. But when the best guys aren't racing what really is the point.

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, regul8or said:

one of the least forgiving sports in the world when you make a small mistake.... right behind base jumping.. I often wanted to be a jet ski racer as I sat in a hospital bed contemplating my next move, you crash on one of those and you land in water......usually you do anyway.

Would anyone not agree with RC4 being maybe the most resilient rider in modern times .. Hes had some brutal get offs and somehow always manages to pop up and still win the damn race . When good ole bubba landed on him and knocked himself out , RC4 gets up throws his bike over and remounts for another charge.. MAkes me think he was drinking something with a little sumtin extra that day... Like of one the Macs PBRs .. lol

He and Villopoto.  Poto missed big parts of four seasons (some of them complete seasons) but still managed to come back and win.

I don't know how much of that is resiliency, advances in medicine, or just luck that they didn't break the wrong body part!

• Like 3

I wonder if it's the kind of injury that will be healed by the first 250 East Coast race, at Arlington on Feb. 17th?  That's three months away, so might be doable considering it's a wrist/arm injury.  Kawasaki may be shuffling it's riders around based on the East/West series based on this, unless Forkner was already scheduled to ride the East coast series.

• Like 2

That sucks for him :(.  And us too, because the racing is better when he's out there.  

At that level, I'm sure it's tough to balance "going as fast as possible" with "don't take unnecessary risks", especially for a teenager.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, jcm3 said:

He and Villopoto.  Poto missed big parts of four seasons (some of them complete seasons) but still managed to come back and win.

I don't know how much of that is resiliency, advances in medicine, or just luck that they didn't break the wrong body part!

Yeah RV dodged a few bullets but that triple jump where he landed without his bike leg/ankle was a doozie..  But they both have figured out how to harness that ginger power , Ive been told they would lose a freckle each time they wrecked hard and they should stop riding if ever out of freckles ... I think Poto lost a cluster when he looped out for shaming murica in a foreign country !!

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

Ask R Johnson about wrist injuries and how quick they heal.

RJ's injury isn't relevant unless it's the same type of injury.  The advances in medicine since then are dramatic.  Plus, with Johnson's injury, he had a bone that died, so it still hasn't healed 26 years later.  He rides to this day by twisting the throttle with his fingers and isn't able to use that hand to hold on.  http://racerxonline.com/2013/09/04/between-the-motos-rick-johnson 

Cooper Web put on a wrist brace while he had a broken wrist, and won the 250 outdoor title. 

It all depends on the type and severity of the injury.

• Like 2