Tire buying experiences: mc shop or online? How do you buy?

For tires and that matter most stuff I try to deal with my local shops and I'm lucky and I live in a town with 15000 POP and have 2 very good shops.

Once I figure out what tires I want and I usually do that on-line unless I'm buying something I've already used, I check a couple of on-line Canadian sites and one in particular has free shipping over $49 and a 10% discount if you buy a pair. If they have what I have, I'll go into the local shops and ask them if they can at least come close to the price and 99% of the time they have no problems matching the cost. 

As well I change my own tires and IMO if you buy from a local shop and they include the install, most likely cheaper than buying on-line and paying them to install.

Now with that said I have a good relationship with my local shops and they know I support them cus I buy all my fluids etc from them and usually clothes, gloves, helmets etc cus I like to be able to try the stuff on before I buy. If they can't match the cost or actually get what I want, I'll buy on-line.

I'm a firm believe in supporting your local shops cus there may be a time you really need them and they will be their to help. I have had one shop lend me a plated bike to do a road test and some tools for a could of days.

Just my 2 cents :)

• Like 1

I just happened to have received my tire order from RMATVMC tonight.

Locally it is cheaper to buy tires from the shop you want to install them vs online. They wave or decrease the install fee if you buy through them. Almost always makes it more expensive to BYO tires. Makes sense.

It isn't hard to install dirt bike tires and it is a good skill to have. You just have to find someone to show you all the tips and tricks the first time.

• Like 1

I always buy from my dealer. He's about two miles from my house and never had a problem with them. Since I bought five motorcycles from them, I get a discount on parts. I know A LOT of people bash dealerships, but I try like hell to support mine. Over the spring they had a raffle with huge buffet and really good prizes for $10 with all proceeds going to an injured MX rider. Plenty of people showed up. He sponsors local riders and racers so I know some of my money goes back into the sport. They had a really good chili cook off too with test rides. The shop every year has different fun events at the dealership.

• Like 1

This is good reading, I appreciate the responses. I certainly have found some good prices online through the posts. But I'm still leaning towards mc shop buying.

• Like 1

I'm kind of rare. I don't sink thousands of dollars into my motorcycles on engine or suspension upgrades and added farkles. I keep my bikes mostly stock except for a slip on. I never skimp on maintenance items though.

I find it quicker and easier to buy parts and tires online now, they show up in 3 days and I grab them from the post office on the way home from work. Getting stuff from the dealer requires 2 trips through traffic to get stuff and the price is about the same.

• Like 1

Having a private motorcycle shop in the family brings this issue close to home. Buy at your local shop please. Support the small businesses that make your community what it is.

• Like 2

I use both.   But mainly online for gear and big stuff because the shops just can't match the pricing.   In Ontario Canada I use Fortnine for most and if I am in the area Royal Distributing.   
I do try to support local as much as I can and on most stuff price is the same.   I always shop around.

I get all mine from the local shop. prices are usually with a $5 of online, and with street tires they mount them for free if you buy them there ($25 ea. if you bring them in). I mount my own dirt tires, but with the prices so close, no need to buy online.

I typically buy online, especially when I get rebate credits through RM and score a tire for $45 :ride:

But the last time I went into cycle gear, the guy I know who works there knocked 10% off it without even telling me so it came out to be about the same as RM or anyone else charges online 

I think it depends on the tire you’re wanting to buy. I like going to my local shop even if it’s a few dollars more as usually is because of taxes. My local shop is an independent shop and he always gives me great prices and service. Plus if there’s an issue, I can get it corrected easier.

I have not been to a dealership/parts shop since I bought my current bike in 2013. Prices are high and selection sucks and it takes too much of my time. I can get better pricing, better selection, and free 2 day shipping to my door online.

Probably won’t go again until it’s time to buy my next bike, and even then, I find it online first, call and negotiate, then just go to pick it up and sign papers.

• Like 1

I remember when Dunlop issued a press release years ago saying they must increase the price of tires due to the high price of oil.   They almost doubled their tire prices and of course all other tire companies followed.     Anyways oil prices went back down and the tire prices never lowered?    Hummmmmmmmmmm

On 11/16/2017 at 8:29 PM, Bobatsea said:

Having a private motorcycle shop in the family brings this issue close to home. Buy at your local shop please. Support the small businesses that make your community what it is.

If my dealer would stock parts for my bike I would gladly support them. I went down just last week for consumables...rotors, brake pads, wheel bearings and heim joint. The only thing in stock was the wheel bearings. Yes my bike is 11 years old and they can't stock everything...but brakes, levers, bearings etc...keep the bikes going.

On 11/18/2017 at 0:45 PM, woods-rider said:

I have not been to a dealership/parts shop since I bought my current bike in 2013. Prices are high and selection sucks and it takes too much of my time. I can get better pricing, better selection, and free 2 day shipping to my door online.

Probably won’t go again until it’s time to buy my next bike, and even then, I find it online first, call and negotiate, then just go to pick it up and sign papers.

:thumbsup:

For the most part, I agree with this sentiment. However, my present situation dictates to me the opposite.

They are Dbags at my local dealer. They've argued with me, and even in not so many words called me a liar. And it was about something they obviously knew nothing about. Their prices are obscene (in one instance wanted to charge me 4x what another dealer did for a part). They're rude and inconsiderate. They cut me off mid-sentence if anyone else arrives.

Even if prices were higher online, I'd still go that route vs the local dealer.

Oh yeah, and most people I know around here feel similarly.

• Like 1

As one that spent 15 years working in various shops from upstate NY to TN and GA throughout the eighties and early 2000's I too once said support local always, but the industry has changed, at least in the eastern US.  What I see at the local shops here in NE Georgia is that it is no longer about building customer loyalty thru great customer service but rather arrogantly telling the customer that the dealership shop is the ONLY one that can properly work on their motorcycles and therefore have the right to charge a premium for said service.  The parts departments in this area do not stock parts and must order everything and only order at their convenience if you need it right away you pick up the shipping costs for the entire order placed as well as the extra 5-10% that is added on to the suggested retail.  And yes, I have been informed rather tersely that "It is just a suggested price, we have the right to up-charge for our knowledge and expertise and if you do not like it go else where." 

So that is why I went else where; to the internet.  I can order parts on my own and more often than not do not pay shipping and still enjoy the discounted price as I work on more and more bikes and quads for others I am beginning to investigate the idea of even stocking some of the more common filters, plugs hard parts and yes even tires.  Do I want to operate a shop out of my personal garage-shop? No but I also ran head first into the "Good Old Boy" network of no more shops in this town/county so no license to operate that type of business here and your to close to "somebody's Dealership" anyway.      

• Like 3

On 11/15/2017 at 3:37 AM, NvBob said:

I'm retired and looking to save a few bucks. Does one actually save any money by buying tires online then having a local shop do the install? I realize there is a fee for customer owned tires to be mounted. Or is it best to purchase through the mc shop?

Buy local and usually they do the install for free and you support your local shop. I buy local and once in a while order online to save money but the shipping price is key. Plus when you buy local you can see the tire and touch etc. I want my local shops to be there. So many have gone out of business. Shops here are trying to stay in business and it’s expensive to live here.I don’t know how some stay in business..Especially when it comes to dirtbikes.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I stopped by a local shop this morning. After numerous online searches and nailing down several preferred tire sets, I was "man enough" to walk in and talk shop with those in the know. The counter guy said "Follow me" and showed me his "wall of rubber". Quite impressive for a small mom and pop.

He had a set of Shinko sr244's for $108 and a set Of Pirelli mt 43's for $170. My size is 2.75-21 front and 4.00-18 rear. I'm starting to think he may get my business.

What am I waiting for? This Friday is the much coveted "Black Friday" and I'm wondering if the online mc stores will participate. Stay tuned.