Tire buying experiences: mc shop or online? How do you buy?

3 hours ago, NvBob said:

I stopped by a local shop this morning. After numerous online searches and nailing down several preferred tire sets, I was "man enough" to walk in and talk shop with those in the know. The counter guy said "Follow me" and showed me his "wall of rubber". Quite impressive for a small mom and pop.

He had a set of Shinko sr244's for $108 and a set Of Pirelli mt 43's for $170. My size is 2.75-21 front and 4.00-18 rear. I'm starting to think he may get my business.

What am I waiting for? This Friday is the much coveted "Black Friday" and I'm wondering if the online mc stores will participate. Stay tuned.

IMO and as I posted previously, it sounds like you need to build a relationship with this local shop cus really at the end of the day your probably talking a few $$$ difference for tires and I'm sure they will install them at no cost. Then if you need other help, your building the relationship who knows they might help you for a case of beer :)

• Like 1

I live in a smaller city and the main couple of shops here gouge the crap out of riders. They charge $60 PER TIRE to mount on top of the already inflated tire price. Online gets 100% of my business.

• Like 2

Unless you are mentally and/or physically handicapped, it will take you more time to take the wheel into the shop and back home than it will to just change it yourself.

• Like 1

I used to live in Arizona and was best friends with the owner of a major dealership.  I was friends and hung out with everybody in the dealership, and my wife ended up working for the dealership ultimately for 15 years until we moved.  I tried to buy all of my stuff there, but sometimes it was difficult.  Local dealerships just cannot compete with the mass volume of an online shop, in both sales and stock/pricing.

Since I have moved, I don't have a bunch of loyalty to any new shop yet.  I needed tires, so I bought tires online.  I needed them mounted, so I bought a tire mounting stand and all the necessary tools, you guessed it, online.  Now me and YouTube change my discounted tires for free, or more specifically, the cost of a couple beers and two or more Band-Aids.

Dave

• Like 2

It's a done deal...and the winner is: local mom and pop! Went back to the shop I visited the other day. The Shenko 244's were sold but the Pirelli mt 43's were still there.  Have not put the wheels back on the bike as it's easier to do some maintenance stuff with them off. Thanks to all who replied!

• Like 1