Should I trade?

Does the seller have documented maintenance history ?

When you'll be racing, in the event of a failure, can your budget support a 4-stroke rebuild ?

(perhaps costing more than what the bike is worth)

IMO the 125 is cheaper to get into racing with. Easier to repair yourself.

In general, trading a used 2-stroke for a used 4-stroke is usually not a good deal.

If the 4T- 250F owner is wanting to trade up for a 4 year older bike (but 2T), that should tell you something...

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, mlatour said:

Does the seller have documented maintenance history ?

When you'll be racing, in the event of a failure, can your budget support a 4-stroke rebuild ?

(perhaps costing more than what the bike is worth)

IMO the 125 is cheaper to get into racing with. Easier to repair yourself.

In general, trading a used 2-stroke for a used 4-stroke is usually not a good deal.

If the 4T- 250F owner is wanting to trade up for a 4 year older bike (but 2T), that should tell you something...

He said it’s to much power for his comfort zone

The 09-12 kx250f is a great generation of the bike, I had one recently until I bought a 2015 yz250f. What others are saying is right though, be careful of the valves. If they've ever been replaced/shimmed etc. I put stainless steel valves in my 2010 and they last a lot longer, I only had to shim one intake valve once in 2016 since they were put in back in 2013. Bike had 90 hours on top end at the time since the rebuild. Also check the kick starter for slop on the kx, not sure if it was just mine or what but my little notch/latch bit of metal on the lever broke off one time when I swung it out to kick it, I ended up using something similar to what the newer ktm enduro models use to keep there kickstands up to keep my lever in. If you want to know anything else I'd be happy to help as I personaly owned a kawasaki of that generation.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Motox367 said:

No learn to race the 125 flat out then move to 250. You'll learn great skills for the future on the 125

I’d love to, Ive been riding a 125 for a year now but I have no doubt I could but I feel like if I had a 250f Id ride better

14 hours ago, yzyamaha250 said:

The 09-12 kx250f is a great generation of the bike, I had one recently until I bought a 2015 yz250f. What others are saying is right though, be careful of the valves. If they've ever been replaced/shimmed etc. I put stainless steel valves in my 2010 and they last a lot longer, I only had to shim one intake valve once in 2016 since they were put in back in 2013. Bike had 90 hours on top end at the time since the rebuild. Also check the kick starter for slop on the kx, not sure if it was just mine or what but my little notch/latch bit of metal on the lever broke off one time when I swung it out to kick it, I ended up using something similar to what the newer ktm enduro models use to keep there kickstands up to keep my lever in. If you want to know anything else I'd be happy to help as I personaly owned a kawasaki of that generation.

Thanks man

You will go faster on the 250F most likely in straights and sand but the 125 will handle better in the woods and technical areas. Both are great bikes. If you have money to maintain the Kawi then I'd go for it. If you don't have a grand saved up in case of a motor rebuild might want to stick with the Yami. I agree with most of the guys above.

• Like 2

No way man.  ESPECIALLY if you're getting into racing.  Racing is already very expensive, and doing it on a 250f is literally THE MOST EXPENSIVE WAY TO GO RACING. 

If you really want a 4 stroke, get a 450.  That 250f is going to blow up.  

Why do you think all the used 4 stroke owners are practically GIVING their bikes away and getting back on two strokes?  If you can't afford a new 4 stroke motocross bike every year or two, you definitely can't afford an old 4 stroke motocross bike. 

There is nothing more expensive than a cheap 4 stroke!!!

• Like 4

On 11/16/2017 at 8:52 PM, dirtjumpordie said:

No way man.  ESPECIALLY if you're getting into racing.  Racing is already very expensive, and doing it on a 250f is literally THE MOST EXPENSIVE WAY TO GO RACING. 

If you really want a 4 stroke, get a 450.  That 250f is going to blow up.  

Why do you think all the used 4 stroke owners are practically GIVING their bikes away and getting back on two strokes?  If you can't afford a new 4 stroke motocross bike every year or two, you definitely can't afford an old 4 stroke motocross bike. 

There is nothing more expensive than a cheap 4 stroke!!!

Hell yeah,thanks bro

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:44 PM, ohiodrz400sm said:

If that KX dropped a valve and grenaded it would cost more to rebuild then it is worth. 250F's are the biggest gamble in the dirt bike world.

I keep hearing that but 4 years ago, I bought a used Honda 2004 250X, no idea of it's history except the guy I bought it from also had a 450X and didn't ride the 250x much.  So far, besides regular maintance (oil/air/etc...) the bike as run pretty flawlessly.  I love my old used 250X.  Maybe I got the exception.

In stock form the CRF250X is much detuned versus the 250R motocross race bike,

like 28HP versus 35HP, doesn't rev as high and, being an off-road / enduro bike isn't likely to be ridden in the same fashion as an MX'er

hence the reason it's quite durable for a 250F based engine.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2