Electronic Tools

is there any other electronic tools out there you can get to connect to your bike to see the hours?      I know there are some tools out but I don't wanna spend the 200 - 400 on them.      Im really just curious as to hours especially when you have a used bike.     I know there are some tools you can download for free for cars on an  phone and you just need a special connector and blue tooth to it.

Only if the bikes ECU records run time hours. Many modern FI bikes do and you need at least some software, a special cable and a laptop. Other FI bikes, you need the factory tool. No non-FI bike I know of records run time hours.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nickerkx said:

is there any other electronic tools out there you can get to connect to your bike to see the hours?      I know there are some tools out but I don't wanna spend the 200 - 400 on them.      Im really just curious as to hours especially when you have a used bike.     I know there are some tools you can download for free for cars on an  phone and you just need a special connector and blue tooth to it.

I install an hour meter (which are cheap) on my bikes. Firstly to track engine hours for maintenance but as a bonus a hour meter and a log book can IMO really help you re-sell the bike when the time comes. :) With that said, I can't guarantee anything.

Otherwise if you are buying a used bike you really have to know what your looking at or trust the seller BUT as always buyer beware

Go on Amazon and search "12 volt hour meter", you should be able to attach it to the kill switch, which is hot anytime the bike is running.

tl;dr: No.  No such tool readily exists.

You need a hardware interface, first.  The box, with the connector, that "speaks" what the bike does.  On my sled, that's CAN bus. 

I have an adapt-o-matic for my truck that speaks CAN bus, and with a little digging online I found the mating connector and pins for the diagnostic connector on my sled.

Okay, so: CAN-Hi, CAN-Lo, +V, Ground... check.  Okay, now I have a data stream coming into my computer.... Now what?

It's not a standard vehicle protocol.  I can see the messages/frames/packets, but I don't have the "magic decoder ring" to make sense of them. 

If it's not data that gets sent to another node on the network regularly, you'll have to query the ECU for it.  Which involves knowing how to structure the packet, sending that packet, then parsing out the reply. 

And when you start asking around on forums and poking deeper into the computer and message structure, you'll get nastygrams from manufacturer's legal department telling you to cut it out. :ph34r:

DSC00555_-L.jpg

(this is with engine running, I know i'm "getting in" at this point)

DSC00560_-L.jpg

DSC00546_-L.jpg

• Like 1

I do have an hour meter.  I just wanted to see how many hours were on the bike because I bought it with out a meter.     I have a EFI bike and was told you can connect to it.  I just wanted to see about doing it with out spending the big bucks on a device to do so.

10 hours ago, nickerkx said:

I do have an hour meter.  I just wanted to see how many hours were on the bike because I bought it with out a meter.     I have a EFI bike and was told you can connect to it.  I just wanted to see about doing it with out spending the big bucks on a device to do so.

Out of interest what s the year/make/model of the bike?

IMO if you think about it, "would the ECU store the information for engine hour run-time information?" IMO most likely not and even if it did then something like a Yamaha GYTR power tuner that interfaces with the ECU mostly guessing.

I bought my 2005 CRF250R in 2010 and had no idea how many engine hours and IMO at that point it really did not matter cus there is nothing I can do about it. Then I put one on about 6 months later and the most important thing was starting my log book for rides/maintenance etc and I now have 283.9 engine hours.

Actually the most important thing IMO is doing oil/filter changes with the best stuff you can afford. I do check my engine oil before every ride for level but also for colour and I do mine MAX every 10 engine hours or say 5 hours if I've been doing hard rides and the starts looking really dark.

Sorry I'm preaching a bit :)

4 hours ago, nickerkx said:

The bike is a 2011 YZ 450F

When did you buy it, what did the PO tell you about it and how did it look etc?

Edited by filterx