• Announcements

• Bryan Bosch

ON SALE!   12/06/2017

Up to 20% off Yuasa Batteries & Battery Accessories!
Mr.Frodo

1985 Yamaha XT600 POS YDLS Carburetors

4 posts in this topic

so far, &%$#@! this motorcycle, and yamaha for making these POS carburetors. Being a mechanic in the army and at home and a carpenter by trade, i believe i have fairly decent deductive reasoning. I learned from a young age (with my sisters easy bake oven, lol its a family story now) that if you take something apart, clean, lubricate and replace all old/worn parts, then put it back together in the same way you took it apart, it should work better than before. With regards to Yamaha and their YDLS Carburetor, they can eat my butt. So very disappointed in the lack of help customer service and knowledge of anyone at ProCaliber Motorsports of Bend, Or. When one goes into the most professional/appropriate business to find information/help about these carburetors, not a single person in the entire &%$#@!ing building has any idea about anything. Then have the audacity to suggest for me to check ThumperTalk!

Obviously I'm not apposed or else i wouldn't be here, but when a professional Yamaha mechanic does not have the knowledge, one should not be referred to an online forum where literally anyone and their mother can throw their two cents in about what they think "may" be the problem. Not that its not appreciated, because it very much is, especially to all of us who are in this same situation. But I expect professional knowledgeable service from the only one appropriate place a Yamaha owner should go to for information regarding Yamaha products, the Yamaha dealership. Only to be greeted with incompetence.

So if the carburetors the issue even after rebuilding it, just say &%$#@! it and buy a new one. oh wait. you cant. oh wait i found one online! oh. . . its $800. OMG!!! ok there must be a common after market replacement carburetor that is intended to replace these, as i cant be the only one dealing with this. Think again Mr. Frodo. This motorcycle isn't that old. this should be this difficult. 

So, now that i have done tons of both mechanical and aesthetic restoration work, including rebuilding the carbs, cleaned and replaced the entire fuel, air and ignition system, the motorcycle still wont start, or rather sometimes i can get it to start after kicking it 78 times, then struggle to get it to idle, then struggle to keep it running, then it dies. If you are thinking about buying one of these motorcycles, don't. Even if you get a killer deal on it like I did, free on post dated barter, you will be gravely disappointed. even if it runs when you get it, the carburetor will fail, you will struggle to find a comprehensive rebuild kit with ALL the parts, and even when you do, it will probably struggle to perform as it should. I hope you don't end up like me, with a gorgeous restored motorcycle with low miles and a clean title; and literally sit there with a tear in your eye and look at all the hard work you've done, listen to the other motorcyclist ride by, and think to yourself i wish i never would have acquired this motorcycle.  

&%$#@! you Yamaha. One customer lost. Thanks for the &%$#@!ing paperweight.

I've rebuilt plenty, never a problem if you follow the manual and set it up right and all parts serviceable.

Plenty of 'pro' mechanics have never worked on a 30+ year old bike (some were not even born when the bike was produced).  I am not sure why you blame Yamaha for a dealer with inadequate competency.

2 people like this

Forget about the stock carbs.  Use the carburetors from a yamaha raptor 660.  The carbs are cheap, and its a very easy swap.  Damn near direct bolt in, then adjust the idle.  

Here is a thread made by some guy who did it.  He isn't even mechanically inclined, and he got the bike to run awesome with those carbs. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/1986-xt-600-raptor-carb-conversion-pics-tonight.483571/page-2

Edited by dirtjumpordie

i have 3 XT600's currently, one build- high comp,100mm Raptor sleeve & piston ,ported, converted to E-start . I've have had 7 of these bikes through the past years , ONLY issue I've had with those carbs is on my built motor that's ported and the carb's can't take the extra air intake velocity and will freeze up when it's drizzling/raining , otherwise she has so much lowend torque that it'll pop the frontend up with barely a burp of throttle . These motors can be run much better with bigger carbs , that's a known fact , but they run great with them as well. Biggest issue with going with Raptor 660 carbs is no good/clean way to hook up the airbox , all I've seen is horrible cobbling or pod filters which suck on an offroad bike. I have a set here that I was going to use in my built bike and never found or saw a quality way to install them.  A better swap is Kawasaki 250 Ninja carbs, spacing is the same , 32mm , but smaller bodies and fit the oem boots 50 times better (still don't fit ideally ,unfortunately no carb made fit the limited space designed for those smallTeikei carbs). Also the '13-16 300 Ninja efi throttle bodies fit perfect as well and with a Microsquirt unit will be a great addition , if I ever get around to installing it .

By the sounds of some symptoms that I could make out is check the CDI , they are getting old, and one symptom of going bad is very hard to start and backfiring . Other is running ok up to 3500-3800rpms and then hitting a wall and won't rev higher .

Beyond that they work roughly the same as most std Mikuni cv carb only split between 2 carbs , left as the primary carb(starting ,idle, low rpm) and then at approx 1/4-1/3 throttle the second(right) carb begins to open and adds air fuel for the higher rpms. Truely a great way to get good lowend (small carb) yet able to keep up at high rpms (big carb). It's the way several companies back then dealt with poorer quality carb tech back then where big carbs that these big singles need for topend power were very shitty at low rpm running, Honda had them as well in their XL600.

Edited by jjktmrider