PW 50 Service Manual or Kickstart Replacement Guide

I just picked up this 99 PW 50 over the weekend for $60. The previous owner said it ran 3 weeks ago but now the kickstart won't catch or return on its own. Can anyone point me to a free service manual or pdf or a sufficient help article to replacing the kickstart mechanism. I have searched far and wide to no avail.

23435058_10210302647268536_6108933423540489794_n.jpg

• Like 1

No 'free' manuals, you have to buy it at a dealer. I think you will find the problem to be more than 'just a stuck kicker'.

Pull the right side cover of the engine and I bet you will find the engine is seized. If you are going to fix it, get the manual and realize a lot of skill and some special tools may be needed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, William1 said:

No 'free' manuals, you have to buy it at a dealer. I think you will find the problem to be more than 'just a stuck kicker'.

Pull the right side cover of the engine and I bet you will find the engine is seized. If you are going to fix it, get the manual and realize a lot of skill and some special tools may be needed.

Thank you. I've recently rebuilt a KX 125 and 250 and CRF 50 so I'm not too worried about that aspect. Plus, the P-dubs are so dime a dozen parts are easy to find.

1 hour ago, crashhard_17 said:

I just picked up this 99 PW 50 over the weekend for $60. The previous owner said it ran 3 weeks ago but now the kickstart won't catch or return on its own. Can anyone point me to a free service manual or pdf or a sufficient help article to replacing the kickstart mechanism. I have searched far and wide to no avail.

23435058_10210302647268536_6108933423540489794_n.jpg

Nice score! I bought one for $200 and threw another 200 into it:

• Like 1

Kickstarter assembly failures are common on these.  It happened to me with your same symptoms.  Check this for parts (quality was reasonable for me):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-PW50-PW-50-KICK-SHAFT-ASSEMBLY-STARTER-GEAR-P-KL13-/140913973086?rmvSB=true

and here is the diagram:

https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/l/yam/50044e77f8700209bc791649/2004-pw50-pw50s1-parts

I searched for a good bit and never found a free manual.  The Australian link above worked though, so good to have.  Follow the instructions for clutch removal.  Get the right-hand case off and you can see what you are up against.

Too see if it's siezed just remove left cover and turn the fly wheel, if that's good most likely a broken spring easy-peasy