2017 YZ250f

I just looked at a used 2017 YZ250F with 5 hours on it at my local dealer. Was wondering if the stock forks will be OK for me (210 lbs.) Novice rider looking to use it for trail and MX.

Price is $6000

Bikes in very nice shape, a few scuffs on plastic and thats it.

6000000001.jpg

Offer 5000 put a thousand in your bank for a new head, you'll need it soon. Front forks are the least of your worries. Have fun and enjoy the bike.

10 minutes ago, arthur6 said:

Offer 5000 put a thousand in your bank for a new head, you'll need it soon. Front forks are the least of your worries. Have fun and enjoy the bike.

Why do you think it will need a head soon, it only has 5 hrs on it. As for the forks I wanted to know if they will be OK for my weight or will I need to change springs. Im not looking to dump a lot of money into it or I may as well buy a new one.

Ok, yes. Optimal, no. Most MX bikes are sprung for a mythical 160 ish lb novice ride. That said, the fork works for a pretty wide range. But make no mistake, it'll bottom out fairly hard if you go long or short on the doubles/triples.

Here's a pic of a "low hour" YZF450...
250 is even more prone to this kind of damage.  

YZFHead2_zps5a1db420[1].jpg

Eh, I think Arthur^ is gettin a little carried away. Although 250s do require more rebuilds than 450s, if you take care of it, a yamaha 250 will last several hundred hours with occasional piston & ring replacements like every 100 hours or so for intermediate riding. I've researched more on yz450s since that's what I ride. Guys are riding them hard for 250+ hours with no engine maintenance other than oil changes and cleaning air filters. I've put 85 hours on mine with zero problems. I ride it pretty hard too. As for the forks, my 16 450 holds me up well and I weigh 200. I jump 100' triples with it. 250 probably softer setup though. You need to determine what spring rate they used and go from there.

Ya those 250 should last 100 hours no problem. My 2016 YZ450FX just passed 80 hours. This last weekend I checked the valves and they were totally in specs. Barely even moved from purchase. I have no doubt I will get atleast 200 hours on this bike and maybe more. You can shim them a couple of times.

How do you know it only has 5 hours?  Does the YZF ECU keep track of hours and the dealer can prove it by showing you on the programmer?  Or are you just trusting the word of a used motorcycle salesman?  Do the engine covers look like brand new with none of the finish rubbed off?  At 5 hours my bike's engine covers didn't have a mark on them.  Heck I don't think I had a single mark on the entire bike at 5 hours.  Are the tires the brand and model that came on the bike stock?  Are the knobs like new?

What kind of price can you negotiate in a brand new YZ250F?

My thing is, everyone tries to sell their bike as "low hours, only ridden to church every Sunday by a little old lady".  When in reality there are guys out there who buy a 2017 in November of 2016, race the piss out of it a year and put 80+ hours on it, and then sell it as "hardly used" and do the same thing next year so they always have a new bike and never have to do a rebuild.  The strategy makes sense on a 4 stroke because the cost of having someone rebuild the motor can be more than the depreciation hit they take.  But then they are sticking the next guy with that cost.  It wouldn't even surprise me if this was the bike of someone who works at or owns the shop.

Caveat Emptor - if you are not familiar with that concept, search for the term in Google.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d

The GYTR programmer does show you hours, however, you can reset them.

I was one of the guys that Doc_d above talks about. I buy a new bike as soon as it came out race the livin tar out of it, I buy some new plastic, put on two new tires and sell it as very very low hour. Those are all 2 Strokes that needed very little maintenance I can't imagine what a 4-stroke would require.

1 hour ago, Doc_d said:

How do you know it only has 5 hours?  Does the YZF ECU keep track of hours and the dealer can prove it by showing you on the programmer?  Or are you just trusting the word of a used motorcycle salesman?  Do the engine covers look like brand new with none of the finish rubbed off?  At 5 hours my bike's engine covers didn't have a mark on them.  Heck I don't think I had a single mark on the entire bike at 5 hours.  Are the tires the brand and model that came on the bike stock?  Are the knobs like new?

What kind of price can you negotiate in a brand new YZ250F?

My thing is, everyone tries to sell their bike as "low hours, only ridden to church every Sunday by a little old lady".  When in reality there are guys out there who buy a 2017 in November of 2016, race the piss out of it a year and put 80+ hours on it, and then sell it as "hardly used" and do the same thing next year so they always have a new bike and never have to do a rebuild.  The strategy makes sense on a 4 stroke because the cost of having someone rebuild the motor can be more than the depreciation hit they take.  But then they are sticking the next guy with that cost.  It wouldn't even surprise me if this was the bike of someone who works at or owns the shop.

Caveat Emptor - if you are not familiar with that concept, search for the term in Google.

Doc

All good questions. I am going to see what they will do on a NEW 2018 YZ250F, if its only a $1200 difference that will eliminate the used bike idea.

You should be able to find a brand spanking new '17 if there's any left, for that price and then some. Is that $6000 out the door? I just got a' 17 kxf early October and it was $5800 before tax etc. Could have gotten a yzf for the same price but I stuck with another Kawi