Going back to stock exhaust

Hey all. I just picked up an 02' DRZ400e. It has the Yoshimura RS-3 offroad pipe on it. CRAZY loud. I threw the stock exhaust back on and although there has been a power loss I am much happier with the noise level. I did not get much history with the bike other than "it was jetted for the pipe by a different owner" I can see the airbox has already had the 3x3 mod done and the bike was running great with the Yoshi pipe so I am 'assuming' some type of jetting has been done to the carb. I like the idea of an aftermarket pipe for a few reasons, more power, lighter, and I do like a bit of a rumble just not as loud as the Yoshi. So I'm guessing I'll replace/trade for something different. I'm reluctant to start pulling out the jetting if I'm going to be getting a different pipe at some point, my question is, will I do any damage to the engine by putting the stock pipe back on but leaving any jetting in the carb until I get another pipe?

• Like 1

Right, I forgot to mention that the Yoshi pipe already has the spark arrest in it, and I repacked it but it didn't change the noise level at all ( the packing in there was actually pretty good). I haven't looked at the carb much yet, I was hoping I'd have easy access, sounds like there is. Do I even need to loosen the intake/exhaust clamps to turn the carb to access the main jet? I guess I'll return the main jet to stock or likely one larger than stock. 

• Like 1

You can rotate it but I don't. You will probably fumble around a bit and struggle to find the hole for the main the first time, don't worry, you'll get it. It sure beats pulling the carb to do it. The pilot and needle will probably be ok where they are.

• Like 1

Well that was an experience in patience :rolleyes: getting the drain bowl and main jet out was sure a lot easier than getting them back in but it was a good thing I did it. I found the airbox clamp loose and the intake clamp was so loose it just rotated around the intake boot :jawdrop:  Good to confirm the jet is what I believe is the stock one, 142. I'm use to wide head Mikuni jets, not this longer narrower one. I 'think' this is the stock jet, can someone confirm the marking as OEM Suzuki. 

37733552814_aaa6d841ba_z.jpg2017-11-15_08-01-04 by Rob Ert, on Flickr

I couldn't get close enough to read the markings on the carb, but since it's a 400E I'm guessing the carb is the FCR39, E-03 28 witch would have the 142 as a stock main (the E-01 has a 165). The stock pipe should run just fine although I'm thinking these bikes came lean from the factory and the airbox top has already been removed so I may order one size larger and see how it does. I did take the bike for a quick burn when I first put the stock pipe on, a real noticeable drop in power so I'll for sure be putting a different aftermarket pipe on the bike at some point just something quieter than the Yoshi. 

• Like 2

I re-jetted my 03E to 165main, and used an 1 3/8" holesaw on the tailpipe of the stock exhaust. It is a little louder than stock, but I got a big gain in performance

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dmouse said:

I re-jetted my 03E to 165main, and used an 1 3/8" holesaw on the tailpipe of the stock exhaust. It is a little louder than stock, but I got a big gain in performance

Ya I've really lost a power gain by taking the Yoshi off but that's the price to be paid. I like your idea, I may try that, as well I think there are some aftermarket caps you can buy for the stock pipe to open the hold up a bit, "I think" . 

7 hours ago, sharkcontrol said:

That is a genuine keihin main fuel jet.

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm used to Mikuni, never had to deal with keihin before. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, azr33 said:

Ya I've really lost a power gain by taking the Yoshi off but that's the price to be paid. I like your idea, I may try that, as well I think there are some aftermarket caps you can buy for the stock pipe to open the hold up a bit, "I think" . 

My way is cheap and easy. When I 1st re-jetted, I left the exhaust alone and had very little power increase, and my sparkplug fouled like it was too rich. Once I drilled out the endcap (not through the spark arrestor), everything was fine... no more plug fouling and lots more power. The E has an oversized head pipe, so don't change that

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dmouse said:

My way is cheap and easy. When I 1st re-jetted, I left the exhaust alone and had very little power increase, and my sparkplug fouled like it was too rich. Once I drilled out the endcap (not through the spark arrestor), everything was fine... no more plug fouling and lots more power. The E has an oversized head pipe, so don't change that

Have you done any other carb work other than the main jet?  great info

1 minute ago, azr33 said:

Have you done any other carb work other than the main jet?  great info

I was going to change the pilot jet, but I was sent the wrong one, so I didn't bother. Instead , I turned the fuel screw out 1/2turn, I'd advise changing the pilot though

• Like 1

15 hours ago, azr33 said:

Hey all. I just picked up an 02' DRZ400e. It has the Yoshimura RS-3 offroad pipe on it. CRAZY loud. I threw the stock exhaust back on and although there has been a power loss I am much happier with the noise level. I did not get much history with the bike other than "it was jetted for the pipe by a different owner" I can see the airbox has already had the 3x3 mod done and the bike was running great with the Yoshi pipe so I am 'assuming' some type of jetting has been done to the carb. I like the idea of an aftermarket pipe for a few reasons, more power, lighter, and I do like a bit of a rumble just not as loud as the Yoshi. So I'm guessing I'll replace/trade for something different. I'm reluctant to start pulling out the jetting if I'm going to be getting a different pipe at some point, my question is, will I do any damage to the engine by putting the stock pipe back on but leaving any jetting in the carb until I get another pipe?

Mine came with an older motocross type FMF and it was crazy loud. People hated it and it screwed up my hearing for hours after I rode. I bought the FMF Q-4 and put it on the power bomb header and I love it. They claim 93-96 db. but it's perfect. Well worth the extra bones paid and it still runs like a rocket!

I did loose a couple mpg and some top end but I gained some mid and lower end due to back pressure. 

Now I get nods and some smiles when I cruise the rural areas and in town.

Well worth the extra bones paid!

IMG_2064.JPG

• Like 2

Just wear earplugs and enjoy the extra power! Should be wearing them anyway, it's the wind noise that kills, and it's pretty loud with an open dirt helmet. 

• Like 2

I do wear earplugs. Don't get me wrong, I do like the 'umph' the pipe has, who wouldn't, but I'm just not into annoying those that don't and it's pretty loud for the trails I do. 

• Like 4

Just now, azr33 said:

I do wear earplugs. Don't get me wrong, I do like the 'umph' the pipe has, who wouldn't, but I'm just not into annoying those that don't and it's pretty loud for the trails I do. 

Partsgiant has the Q-4 on EBay for $306. It hurt paying for it but it gave the bike some class as well as an improved performance over a stock pipe.

• Like 1

There's no way this RS3 is 86db. 86db would probably be lower than the stock exhaust wouldn't it?

• Like 1